Did anyone else recover in an RV? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone else recover in an RV? Did anyone else recover in an RV?

Unread 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Re: Did anyone else recover in an RV?

I truly don't have room for a recliner unless I sleep outside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 09:43 PM

When I went home the next day, I had to go upstairs to our bedroom. I think (especially if you guys have either three steps to get in and/or a step stool to bridge the gap to the first step) you'll be fine getting in. Just plan on staying put inside for roughly the first week. (I did that so I wouldn't wear myself out). Then it's just a matter of finding where to plant yourself where you're most comfortable. I was able to sleep in our bed (at home granted...but I don't know what kind of mattress you have...I'm assuming you upgraded to a nicer one), but everyone is different. I think it'll be doable, just don't expect to be in and out all the time (even if you were in a home/apartment)!
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:20 PM

I agree, I had to climb three FLIGHTS of stairs the day after surgery just to get to my condo! Then I only have one step inside the condo, kind of a sunken living room type deal - but I've had an RV before and if I recall, the first step to get in was a little high on mine, so maybe just plan to have some kind of step stool if yours is high too so you don't have to stretch! But you should be just fine - the view will definitely do wonders for you - I'm in Florida and have spent many a mornings out on the balcony watching the beautiful weather and scenery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Hi,
I lived in an RV for 6 years fulltime so I know about small spaces. You should be fine once you get to bed. You will know when you feel like moving around. I spent 2 nites in hospital, then 1 day in bedroom then up and moving. We live in an apartment now, but some day wish for the RV, it has a lot less to clean.

Hang in there, Fulltime RVing is one of the best experiences you will have. Have you been in the campground long? are there things for hubby to do while you rest? RV'ers are some of the best people around, and will help if you need it.

Hope you have a fast recovery and on the road again soon!
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Could you/your husband build a ramp to get into and out of the RV? I am thinking 2x4s with plywood over that and then some sort of "grippy" materials or thin pieces of wood that are nailed to the top to give you tread. You would need a handrail of some sort but you can get metal ones when you get the wood. You could also call a local church or a middle school, high school (with a wood working class) that might build one for the price of lumber.
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM

OH - hubby's is not handy - so nothing will be built - and if he did I'd be afraid of it... LOL @ Dorothy - we got stuck here a year and a half ago, because hubby's income disappeared. He is going to court tomorrow to try to get it straightened out - In the mean time he fishes
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:10 AM

While a lot of folks seem to find being in a recliner a good thing, my tiny house doesn't even have room for a couch, much less a recliner. What I did was make sure that I had a good assortment of pillows for my bed, of different thickness and "density" so that I could use them, with help, to make myself comfortable in bed when I was first out from surgery and home. That was all I really needed. I did tie my bathrobe belt to the end of the bed, to give me something to grab to help me get out of bed, but since your hubby will be there (I was alone a lot) you will probably do quite well. Best of luck on an excellent outcome and a speedy recovery
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM

thank you indigo. I will try to figure a way to tie something to the foot of the bed. I have a lot of pillows - kind of a quirk of mine - must have many pillows!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register