Well, I decided on the ablation... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives > Options and Alternative Success Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well, I decided on the ablation... Well, I decided on the ablation...

Unread 07-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, I decided on the ablation...

First of all - thank you to the ones who sent me PM's after my last post. I hadn't checked this board lately but I do appreciate everyone who's been concerned for me.

I decided to go with the ablation. I don't want to go through Lupron treatment because the chances of the pain being anything but gynecological in nature are so incredibly small that it would be far too much negative side effects for something that's not an actual solution to the problem. My new gyn, once I told him what I'd decided, told me he would have done it as well had he been in my situation - he said he couldn't believe I'd passively dealt with periods this bad for so long!

So, on August 20th, I'll be going in for a balloon ablation. Afterwards I'll just be using condoms as contraception - I'm back on the pill just for this month to try and control my period and it's hell... absolute hell... I can't even express what a raging <admin. snipped - please do not try to fool the censor>, sick to my stomach, crying, exhausted, miserable shell of a person I become on these hormones! And then in December, when I'm back home for the holidays, if the ablation seems to have worked, then I'll go ahead and have a tubal done.

I have to admit I am concerned about the long-term effects of this procedure. It seems as if not many women are truly happy with its results - especially younger ones like myself - and I am concerned about the potential for causing future adenomyosis or anything else. The way I see it is this - the insurance company would never approve a hyst at this point, so I don't really have a choice. But knowing that doesn't help my worry. It would be hard to make my pain and bleeding much worse, but... I want a solution, not just another maybe.

I know some of you feel that it's not something that someone my age should do, but I am so relieved to have a chance at living normally again. When I called to schedule the surgery, I thought for sure I would cry when I hung up... instead, I started laughing with relief. I hope it works!!

Thanks to all of you for all of your support and advice and information this summer. It's been difficult but I feel like a stronger woman because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM

Dear Kris:

Congrats on coming to a decision that you are at peace with. Have you found the support boards for ablation? Here is a link to one of them: http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:53 PM

Dear Kris,

Another option you may want to consider (especially considering your age) is the Mirena IUD instead.

The Mirena IUD is fairly new in the USA(2001 and in Europe since 1990) and contains progestins only. The progestin is in lower amounts than that of bcps and therefore dont tend to cause as much side effects as people tend to hear about with progestins (though I didnt have them) and it's effects are more direct considering it's location. It usually decreases the monthly flow considerably and sometime the associated pain. A good number of women dont even get a period with it. It is good for five years.
Typically it is reserved for women that have had children to lessen the possibility of expulsion, but I bet your doctor may consider it in a case like yours.

It is a very effective birth control.
Though it's primary use is as a form of birth control, it is used in cases of endometrial hyperplasia (sometimes even in low stage cancer), fibroids (typically for smaller or medium sized ones if there isnt too much distortion), cases of excessive bleeding where the cause has been elusive, endometriosis, and adenomyosis.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/pms.htm
http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.htm

Mine is doing just fine now (I have it to prevent recurrence of hyperplasia) but I will admit that the placement is not fun, and it seems that good placement is somewhat a matter of luck (having had 2 placed in the past) or ongoing cramping may occur. Mine has been so comfortable that I've had moments of doubt that it was there.

The Mirena is very easily reversible. It could be used before or after an ablation.

Pat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register