Training for a 1/2 marathon and listening to my body! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Training for a 1/2 marathon and listening to my body! Training for a 1/2 marathon and listening to my body!

Unread 03-02-2020, 05:48 AM
Training for a 1/2 marathon and listening to my body!

Hello all,

I just discovered this forum from a link on a Runner's World article on running after a hysterectomy. Gosh, I wish I knew about Hyster Sisters before my surgery on Jan 24th! I was pretty much in the dark and alone with preparing for the operation, but I'm so glad now that I'm in recovery to have found all of you here.

I was running about 20 miles a week before surgery, and planned it so that I would have enough time to train before the Popular Brooklyn Half Marathon in May. Although my surgeon said I should be able to start running two weeks post-op, I was entirely too weak and still felt pain from doing more an hour of standing and walking.

Now I've just passed week 4, and felt well enough to start running again. Started off slowly with a 3.5 mile run, then a 2.5 mile run, and then yesterday a 5 mile run. Did a yin yoga class with just long stretches, no super active vinyasa, and about 20 minutes of yoga for runners after my 5 mile run. Today my abdominal area is hurting from the 5 miles, so I'll give it a rest today and try again tomorrow.

Been reading about the possibility of prolapse and adhesion here. Anyone have any bad reactions to running after a total hysterectomy? I'm afraid to do anything that will set me back, but I've had to get out there to run so that I can be active again, for my head as much as my body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2020, 04:54 AM
Re: Training for a 1/2 marathon and listening to my body!

I'm not a 1/2 marathoner, but I enjoy 5-8ks. I began running intervals at 8 weeks after having worked up to 3 miles of walking, and could run the entire 3 miles of my route by 12 weeks. That was 3-1/2 years ago. I'm definitely menopausal, I pump iron at a weekly Body Pump class, I still run for cardio... and I've had no issues with either prolapse or adhesions. I plan to keep on unless I'm told to stop by my doctor - whether for prolapse or joints.

Unread 03-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Re: Training for a 1/2 marathon and listening to my body!

Thanks for the response and glad to know that you are staying active! Since I started running again about a month ago, I'm building up my weekly mileage and will be doing a 7 mile long run this weekend as running is the last safe form of strenuous cardio one can do outside during these days of COVID-19. So far it's been going well. I'm much slower than I was before but I obviously took a month off any exercise and so it's taking my body some time to acclimate again.

Stay healthy and safe!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register