What kind of help will I need and how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What kind of help will I need and how long? What kind of help will I need and how long?

Unread 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
What kind of help will I need and how long?

I can't believe I finally going to do this. It is for the 28th. I saw my fourth doctor in a year today and really liked him. He did alot of tests on me and said there is no other option left but a hysterectomy. I gave it a good fight but my complex hyperplasia is back...been bleeding heavy now for 2 weeks and hormones haven't been able to stop it. And I don't want to hear that the atypia or worse carcinoma has decided to creep up.

My only concerns are where my kids are going go to. Who do I involve with taking care of me and the kids. My mom may need a hip replacement so her coming to my house will limit her mobility up and down my stairs and going out on the icy walk ways.

How long does the recovery take, really? How long should I expect my kids gone or have help at home. The one thing that I have arranged are meals. My sister lives about 45 minutes away and when I had my D & C she cooked meals for a week, put them in freezer bags and ready to go when ever someone put them in the microwave. So food is taken care of.

Any advice would be appreciated...especially what kind of help I do need and for how long. My kids are 7, 10 and 13.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 06:44 AM

Hi, your recovery will depend of the type of hysterectomy that you're having and your personal health. Normally the initial recovery is from 6 - 8 weeks. Some heal faster, some a bit slower. You shouldn't be bedridden, but you will have some restrictions. Your dr should give you a list of "do's and don'ts". I had a lifting restriction of just a few pounds at first.

You can find a lot of helpful articles and suggestions here in the Pre-op Articles:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/articlelist_170.htm

Your children aren't toddlers so should be able to do a lot for themselves & maybe even a bit of help to you

The meals are great - I did that too and it was wonderful not to worry about that.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:42 PM

I think those are good ages of kids, my daughter was 8 when i had mine and was great. i bought juice boxes and put in the fridge so she could get her own drinks bought granola bars and stuff for easy healthy snaks, she was a great help to get me things and helped more than i would of thought a kid to do.
that is great meals will be tooken care of. i had help for the first 2 weeks but i had a TAh dont know what kind your having? you will be able to do things more as you heal but the frist few weeks are the hardest but you will be able to stick things in oven to cook and stuff like that. good luck
hugs
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM

I think at your kids ages-- you will be fine.

I just had my surgery 6 weeks ago. I have 5 kids (6,8,9,12 & 13). We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

The one thing that was really hard for me was laundry. Ya just can't do it. You can fold it. but taking it outta the washer and putting in the dryer is WAY to much. So when they say dont do it? They mean it. Your kids are old enough to do tht for you and help you.

Also.. listen to your Dr. listen to the great advice youll get on this board. But the one thing I foudn was I needed to listen to my body. Some women stayed in bed for the first week or two. I didn't. I'd do what i wanted, when I could and then go take a 2-3 hour nap during the day if I needed to. You will know what is too much and what you can do.

OH ALSO--- drink water. get a laxative/stool softener. I WISH I had known that constipation was going to be ahuge problem. The pain of THAT? was by far worse than the surgery itself!

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register