Fibroids: Surgery or No Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids: Surgery or No Surgery? Fibroids: Surgery or No Surgery?

Unread 02-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Fibroids: Surgery or No Surgery?

I have been going back and forth on whether to have a hysertectomy or not, so I am very happy to have found this site so I can get some feedback. I have my surgery schduled for March 9th due to fibroids. One is 16 week size, 4 others are alot smaller. I am post menapausal so I have none on the issues with wanting children so my concerns are with libido and orgasims. I am having a vaginal hysterectomy so they will be removing my cervix also, that concerns me. They will be leaving the ovaries. One of my questions is why did the docs tell me that the fibroid would shrink when I went into menapause but yet it hasn't? Maybe it shrunk a small amount but not much. Will it shrink more in time? Should I wait to remove it to see if it will shrink more? I don't know if I should maybe just live with the fibroid and avoid surgery but would that create more health issues later on. I would love to have my stomach flat again though. I have spoken to two docs and they really haven't offered me alot of choices due to the size and my age.(I'm 55).
If anyone has any input of knowledge that I don't have I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Re: Fibroids: Surgery or No Surgery?

Thanks for the input! I'm going to cancel the surgery for now until I have a chance to really think about all my options. I'm just not ready yet and I'm not having any major problems so I have time to do more research. I didn't want the abdominal surgery because I had a myomectomy once which resulted in a hernia which I had repaired once and then it came back. On the second repair I went to a plastic surgeon so he could fix the mess my stomach was in. I just don't want them cutting on me again like that unless I could afford another plastic surgeon, but I can't, thats why I was looking to do it vaginally. I just didn't know they took out the cervix until I started doing more research and that has me really frightened about the side affects. I just wonder if I wait some if this will decrease in size since I am post menapausal, and how long it will be before it decreases in size.
Thanks again for the advice. I'm learning alot on this site and I am so glad I found it.
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM

((jeminired))

Have you had a second opinion about what is best for you with regard to treating your current fibroid issues? A second physician may be able to ease your mind and/or offer additional suggestions!

In general, fibroids can shrink during menopause when estrogen levels decrease. However, it doesn't happen overnight or for everyone. If you are not having any major health issues because of the fibroid, waiting and seeing might be the best option for you.

I had a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy several years ago. I can assure you, not having a cervix has not been a problem in the least! I don't miss it in the slightest! I have great pelvic support, orgasms (uterine contractions with orgasms are of course without the uterus), plenty of vaginal moisture, libido is fine, etc. etc. etc.! So, do consider the pros and cons, but know that removing the cervix is not the end of the world for many of us!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM

I definately agree about getting a second opinion. Perhaps you can find someone who specializes in fibroids. By chance while searching for a doc to get a second opinion I found one who only deals in fibroids and women's issues. (He doesn't deliver babies, etc) Anyway best move I made.

Like you I was petrified of the sexual side effects from hysterectomy. Realizing it is only a chance it is a chance I just was not read to take.

In my case, we decided to try myomectomy first. I had 2 surgeries and on the second one he was able to get it all out. I won't need another to remove any fibroids. In a few months we will see if an ablation is needed.

I have to tell you I have never felt better. I cannot believe how much my mental and physical health has improved. My last two periods were a joke. I actually figured out why they make regular tampons and panty liners and bought some myself. (This is probably temporary due to the scraping he did during surgery, but maybe not) We shall see.

Either way I feel great and am so very thankful I went for a second opinion and found a doc I trusted completely.

Best of luck.
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:47 AM

Well I have postponed my surgery for now. It's not that I don't want to remove the fibroids, I'm just not sure how I want to do it yet. My doc is going to call me so we can discuss other options and maybe come up with some thing that will make me a little more comfortable. I have heard so many people say that they have had no problem with the sexual side of the surgery and thats good to hear, but I'm still not sure.
Thanks everyone for the advice and knowledge, I'll let you know what my solution is when I figure it out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register