2 questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-05-2004, 10:36 AM
2 questions

I'm having a total hysterectomy done vaginally next week with an epidural and hopefully little pain meds.

We are hosting a big party at the end of this month, and I'm just wondering if I'm being too ambitious. Hubby does most of the work preparing for it. Just wondering what my pain/energy levels will be. My main participation is usually keeping our kids entertained. I can probably get a neighbor girl to come over and help with them, if need be

The other thing that I'm wondering is if anyone can give me a point of reference as far as the soreness they experienced. Was it similar to post partum soreness? I'm really nervous about having this done, and have heard of people up and around 2 days after surgery. That sounds unbelievable to me.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2004, 10:45 AM
up and around

I can't tell you about a vaginal one, I had a TAH, but they had me up and out of bed walking to the sink and back with support on both sides the evening on the surgery day. The next day they had me with one person assist into the shower, and I was going tothe bathroom by myself, and walking up and down the halls by myself as I saw fit.
The second day after surgery I took a shower and dressed myself, stood at the sink and did my hair and put on make up to go home.
The third day at home, I showered by myself-hubbie was around in case I needed help. I washed and blew my hair dry, and was walking around the house in the morning, and up and down a few blocks by afternoon.

Now at 13 days post op, I am walking 10 blocks at a time, have gone grocery shopping, done laundry, I am sleeping upstairs now, gone out for lunch a couple of times.

Lots of rest in between, and sleeping an hour or two off and on all day and night.

You will just have to see how you feel-a month after surgery you might be able to do anything! I would still hire a couple of girls to help with the kids at your party-you may find the whole thing either too emotionally draining or you may just need to go into a room and rest by yourself for an hour or so now and then throughout the day.
Why add that stress to your recovery if you don't need to?
Unread 07-05-2004, 12:14 PM
2 questions

I'm also having a TVH. My doctor told me that the reason we do them this way is because of the quicker recovery time. I saw one post that said that there is more internal pain than after giving birth, but if you take it easy your recovery will go much quicker. I'll be returning to work in my third week (Part time) and full time in week four if I'm able. The other thing I read was that since you won't have the incision, its easy to forget that you still had major surgery and you still have stitches inside so DON'T OVERDO IT!!!!!! If you do to much, it will make your recovery take longer. A friend of mine told me that she really set herself back by vacumming!! I'm excited about getting this done and I'm glad they don't have to cut me open. That's got to help with recovery time IMHO! Good Luck to you!!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2004, 12:32 PM
2 questions

Hi,
I had a TVH on June 1st with general anesthesia. At 3-4 weeks, I wouldn't give a party UNLESS you have someone to prepare the house (clean, decorate, etc.), lots of help the day of and during the party. Rest lots before and be dispensible enough that if you need to go rest during the party, you could. Everyone is different and what you do as far as resting goes the first weeks after surgery will determine your recovery. I've had four normal deliveries and it would be hard to compare pain because I had little after childbirth and because of good pain meds, almost no pain post-op- just fatigue and soreness. Take it very easy and listen to your body. Not having an outward incision has been a blessing! Good luck!

JuneE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register