Private Room - will insurance pay anything? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Private Room - will insurance pay anything? Private Room - will insurance pay anything?

Unread 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Private Room - will insurance pay anything?

I'm scheduled for TAH on Sept. 8. I'd like to request a private room at the hospital, knowing I will have to pay extra for it, but I have a good insurance policy through my company (preferred PPO) and wondering if PPOs normally pay anything on a private room or will they only pay portion of a shared room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM

The best thing to do is call your insurance company and ask. Each insurance company has a different policy with each plan coming with different coverage rules. Some ladies have posted they had to pay a flat fee for the private room that ranged from very nominal to a little bit of money. Others were not covered for a private room if a non-private room was available. Some were not even charged extra as long as a private room was available. And yet others....you get the picture -- many different scenarios! So find out for yourself what your insurance company and hospital will all before making the request so you can decide if the $$ is worth the privacy -- I sure wish I had done so as it would have been worth a lot of $$$ for me!

Best wishes to you for your upcoming surgery! s
Unread 08-27-2008, 01:47 PM

Most people have privater rooms nowdays. You don't want someone else in there with germs, visitors and noise. I think my hosp is all private rooms. The hospitals need to be very careful of the bad germs nowdays.

I had a private room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM

My hospital has both private and semi-private rooms. My insurance PPO would only pay for a semi private room, if I wanted a private room I would of had to pay. So i stayed in a semi private room and that room cost $1,566.00 I can't imagine what they would of wanted for a private room.
Unread 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM

I was on the Maternity ward the very last room at the end of the hall and it was private they kept my door closed most of the time. I loved having my own room I think it helped me sleep better. Good luck to you on your surgery.
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone.

Called <oops! name of insurance company removed per site guidelines!> PPO and they said they'd pay only for all cost of a semi-private room but if I elected to get a private room, I'd have to pay the difference. So I'll ask the hospital what that difference is and then decide.

If it's not astronomical, I'll probably foot the bill for the difference as I, like everyone else, really don't like sharing rooms with strangers. Heck, this is costing me thousands anyway, might as well make it as comfortable as possible!

They also said if there are no semi-private rooms available and they have to give me a private room, then they'd pay the full cost as I didn't have a choice.
Unread 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM

My insurance will only cover a semi-private room...

I'm going to request the bed next to the window. That way if I have a roomie their visitors arent' filing past me, etc.
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM

The hospital I went into had all private rooms (except ICU, etc).
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Private room was all my hosp. had and I got lucky my dr made sure I wasn't on the mat. ward. I don't think I could have handled that.
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM

When I had my surgery, I was told I'd have to pay the difference between semi-private and private. I was all set for it to be a huge cost, and the scheduler said, "It's an extra $35 per night." Um....yeah, sign me up.

So it certainly can't hurt to ask what your insurance policy and/or hospital will charge you. Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register