Lupron, hysterectomy for PMDD?; your experience? UPDATED (Hyst 2016) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron, hysterectomy for PMDD?; your experience? UPDATED (Hyst 2016) Lupron, hysterectomy for PMDD?; your experience? UPDATED (Hyst 2016)

Unread 05-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Lupron, hysterectomy for PMDD?; your experience? UPDATED (Hyst 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clk8878 View Post
I had the Lupron injection 2 weeks ago. I was EXTREMELY scared I'd go "crazy" and end up in a mental health facility BUT the two weeks went just fine. The injection site in my thigh was sore for a few days but other than that, everything went well.

Yesterday, however, I started to feel overwhelmingly irrational, unloved and irritable...I checked my period calendar and it's my "PMDD time of the month". If I remember correctly, I believe my Doctor stated I would have to go through it the first month but things should be good going into the 2nd month. I really hope this is the case because I really feel I cannot do this anymore, I just want to give up. I'm so tired of suffering.

If there is anyone out there who has received the Lupron Depot
3-month injection, will you please let me know if your symptoms lessoned or went away during the 2nd month???
Hi CLK! I got two 3 month injections of Lupron. Mine was to shut down bleeding for assumed endo and a stenotic cervix/uterus. The first injection was easier than my second. I did have headaches and nausea immediately after the injection for a few weeks. At about a month I got hot flashes. The second injection was much harder on me. No headache and nausea, this time way but more emotional, dried out vagina, bloating, massive food cravings etc which has led to a 10 lb increase (been trying hard to control it) totally moody, body aches etc. would I do it again...?? I just don't know. It did stop the severe pain of the bleeding from a uterus that was sealed with no where for blood to go...if my uterus/cervix was not sealed, I would no way have gotten the second injection, but that just wasn't in the cards for me. Praying to God the surgery goes well Wednesday because u am at the end of the 6 month treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2016, 04:30 PM

**UPDATE**

It has been nearly a month since my Lupron injection. I feel good. My mind feels clear and I am feeling very hopeful. As I stated in an earlier update, I did have an episode of PMDD. My PMDD experiences usually last 14-17 days, this time it lasted ONLY 5 DAYS!!

Right after my most recent PMDD episode, my boyfriend (who I live with) broke up with me. This has been very difficult and emotionally draining but I'm dealing with it and remain hopeful that I will never lose anything else to PMDD.

I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in the middle of June. I'll post an update after that.

For anyone battling PMDD, I really feel for you. Please hang in there and know your options.

Christy
Unread 06-18-2016, 05:47 PM

**UPDATE #2**

I had my follow-up appointment with my OBGYN yesterday. We are so excited that the Lupron seems to be helping my PMDD!! I have not had ANY bad days this month - NO suicidal thoughts or feeling like I'm completely irrational/crazy (for a lack of a better word).

I've lost 7 pounds, I eat healthier, have energy to exercise and just feel one million times better than I can ever remember. My OBGYN is ordering my next 3-month injection, and I will receive that (last) injection next month. The day I get that injection, we will plan out my hysterectomy/ovary removal so there's time to get the surgery approved with my insurance company, plan the surgery and complete the surgery before the Lupron wears off. I am so grateful for this Doctor and his staff!!

I will be back with another update soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Re: Lupron, hysterectomy for PMDD; your experience?

Thanks for the update, let us know how things go.
Unread 06-18-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablated View Post
Hi CLK! I got two 3 month injections of Lupron. Mine was to shut down bleeding for assumed endo and a stenotic cervix/uterus. The first injection was easier than my second. I did have headaches and nausea immediately after the injection for a few weeks. At about a month I got hot flashes. The second injection was much harder on me. No headache and nausea, this time way but more emotional, dried out vagina, bloating, massive food cravings etc which has led to a 10 lb increase (been trying hard to control it) totally moody, body aches etc. would I do it again...?? I just don't know. It did stop the severe pain of the bleeding from a uterus that was sealed with no where for blood to go...if my uterus/cervix was not sealed, I would no way have gotten the second injection, but that just wasn't in the cards for me. Praying to God the surgery goes well Wednesday because u am at the end of the 6 month treatment.
Hi Ablated! Thank you so much for responding. I'm sorry to hear about what you've been going through. I hope your surgery went well and you are doing great!!!
Unread 06-23-2016, 07:13 PM

Thanks CLK for sharing!!! I've been waiting for someone to update their experience's in this particular subtopic of this blog for some time. I hope Lupron continues to work for you. I am considering this treatment option myself for some time now however reading about the side effects is a little terrifying but I feel desperate lately. I try to remember that different medicines affect people differently. I recently tried the transdermal patch, Xulane, however my symptoms seemed to be replaced with continuous low levels of symptoms. My doctor gave me this after I asked for Climara or Vivelle, which is only transdermal estrogen, typically used in HRT, however she did not feel comfortable giving me this as it is not FDA approved for use in PMDD. Although apparently, it is 1st or 2nd line therapy for PMDD in the UK. The only thing I have found to work for me is Yaz and at least 10 minutes of max heart rate cardio training.every 2-3 days. For whatever reason, cardio workouts are the only thing that seems to reset my hormones when they get out of sync which seems to be every few days, even on the pill My hormones seem to be super sensitive to fluctuations and if I miss my pill or even don't take it the exact same time daily it will throw me off early, and what seems to be almost immediately. Obviously in an incredibly busy world, it's hard to remember to take your pill at the exact same or right time and have the time to workout that frequently. If Lupron were to work for me, I too would also want a oophorectomy, however I am in my late 20's, without children, and fear my doctor would turn me down. Missing out on my own biological children would be worth it to get away from this terrible disease and there are plenty of children to adopt. I guess if I it worked and I found a doctor willing I could take Lupron for a few years until I am ready to have children, as I have heard symptoms mostly go away during pregnancy. And, then I could finally get rid of my ovaries.
Unread 06-26-2016, 01:58 PM

Hello, I was on Lupron for appx one year. I had two injections which each lasted 3mnths (or more) for my Stage IV endometriosis. I'm usually a positive person and try to see the good in everything but Lupron and my body did NOT interact well. I had every side effect from it. Keep in mind this is just my body. Everyone reacts differently. I had night sweats, sleeplessness, jittery legs, mood swings, weight gain, hot flashes, etc. the only treatment for me now is to go back on Lupron or a full hysterectomy. I explained I will never go back on Lupron no matter what and I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. Sorry, I hope the majority didn't suffer from this medicine like I did. I hope you find positive feedback and best wishes to you!
Unread 06-26-2016, 03:56 PM

I tried birth control for six months and it didn't work and then Dr had me do lupron shot once a month. He wanted me to do 4-6 months of it, but only got through two injections. It made me very sick I went from 125 pounds to 112 in those two months. I begged to be off of it so finally seeked a third opinion and had a hysterectomy last Tuesday by the dr who put me on lupron. I went back to him and told him what the third opinion said and asked if he would do it if not o would go to other Dr. It didn't work for me, but everyone is different. Good luck!!
Unread 07-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Lupron working well for PMDD; Preparing for Surgery

I had my second (3-month) injection of Lupron Depot and my Doctor is currently working with my insurance to get approval for oopherectomy/hysterectomy.
I was so happy I cried. I can't believe the madness is FINALLY going to end for good! If anyone out there is suffering from debilitating PMDD, and you are searching endlessly for answers...I completely understand. Don't stop fighting the battle and keep searching for people/doctors that listen. There are 2 things I wish I had known sooner: 1) PMDD is NOT an imbalance of hormones. A woman with PMDD will have normal levels of hormones. I went through years of having hormones tested, only for the results to be normal. 2) I have choices...with everything! If a doctor isn't listening or taking me seriously, I can get a new one!!

I'm so excited that after 20 years of this, it's almost over.
Unread 08-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Re: Lupron working well for PMDD; Preparing for Surgery

I'm a little late responding on this, as I only check in every now and then. Christy, I chuckled when you said it's almost over because that's how I felt when I joined this site, thus my screen name!
For myself, Paxil worked for my PMDD for years but then stopped being effective. Then it was a couple of years of trying different meds that didn't work until I tried Lupron. It worked for the first 4 months or so, but then stopped. I had my hysterectomy/oophorectomy a couple months after that. That was almost 9 years ago. As with someone else who responded, it did take a few months to really feel 100% (I believe somehow it takes your brain awhile to figure out the PMDD is gone).
I did have a clinical depression in the last year and am still on meds for that. People that have had PMDD are more prone to depression, so something to look out for down the road.
Christy, I'm excited for you and your new life ahead!
Deanna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register