PMS symptoms after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMS symptoms after hysterectomy PMS symptoms after hysterectomy

Unread 09-22-2016, 05:38 AM
PMS symptoms after hysterectomy

This thought just popped into my head and who better to ask than you all? It looks like I will be keeping my ovaries. Not sure if that makes a difference to my question. But are there PMS symptoms after? Bloating, cramps, etc? Sorry if you his is a "don't you know your body" question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Re: PMS symptoms after hysterectomy

PMS is caused by the hormonal cycles that your ovaries go through, specifically the week of your cycle in which progesterone dominates estrogen. If you keep your ovaries - and there are many good reasons for doing so - you'll continue to have PMS.

You're not the first person to ask this question, by the way. :-)
Unread 09-22-2016, 08:33 AM

((Surprised)) is right on! I was actually shocked because I kept my ovaries but had the Mirena IUD for 10 years prior and NEVER had PMS. I wasn't until after my hysterectomy that I experienced it. My PMS involves one very mean ovary (the left one that every other month I call "Evil Ovary Month") that causes me a day or 2 of discomfort, but other than that not a big deal. You may not know to what extent you'll have PMS for a few weeks or months after your surgery and things get back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2016, 10:29 AM

Yes, if you keep one or both ovaries, you will continue to cycle and ovulate each month. You can expect your usual PMS symptoms. What many women do not expect, however, is to still experience cramping post op. The period cramping we feel is actually coming from our intestines as well as our uterus, since hormones effect bowel function as well.

PMS Post Hysterectomy

Our ovaries release prostaglandin, and this can cause cramping in all smooth muscle. I have very irregular bowels, but I remember I would always have a loose BM on the first day of my period. That was a side effect of increased prostaglandins on the intestinal tract. Just like ibuprofen controlled uterine cramping, it will work for this type also, because ibuprofen is a prostaglandin inhibitor.

I was pleased when I felt my PMS symptoms post op, as this signaled to me that my ovaries were working properly and producing those amazing hormones my body needs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register