40 and life AFTER - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Life Begins at 40

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

40 and life AFTER  - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) 40 and life AFTER - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009)

Unread 10-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Talking - 40 and life AFTER  - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) 40 and life AFTER - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009)

So, here I am. Forty years old, 9 weeks post-op and my life has completely changed. I can't wait to see what else is in store!

I didn't mind turning 40 nearly as much as I thought I would. I thought I would feel old or something but I really saw it as a rite of passage into a new stage of life. I know so many amazing women in their 40's, 50's, 60's so I figured it wasn't too bad to be entering this new age.

Then, dum-da-dum, I needed a hysterectomy! OK, now that did sound like something for an older person. Menopause? Come on! I'm too young for that!

All I can say now is THANK YOU GOD FOR PUTTING ME IN THIS POSITION! For me, there wasn't a lot of pain in my past like many of the ladies face pre-hyst. I am grateful for that. I had heavy and long periods and some minor pain from a cyst but I didn't have bad symptoms at all. So, I can't say that the physical part has changed much.

But, the emotional part, the new me, the new outlook on life, the promising future, the courage I gained, the strength I found that I didn't know I had......I could go on and on.

There's something about facing a life-changing event and the possibility of dying that just changes a person, I guess. My faith in God was questionable at first and I was sad and angry about facing this. So, I had to make a decision to either drown in my sorrows or give it all to God. I'm so glad I was smart enough to give it to God because once I did, everything took off and I haven't been the same since!

After realizing that I was in a toxic job for 11 years, I quit based on faith not knowing where the next paycheck would come from and I am the bread-winner in my family. But, something just kept telling me to get out of there and get away from such a negative environment. There was something more out there for me. I wondered, at times, if it was just hormonal imbalance talking and that I would wake up and realize I made the worst decision of my life. But, I kept following my heart anyway because I found this stirring inside of me telling me I could be so much happier.

I have also found the courage and strength to begin a volunteer program that I've always wanted to be part of. I have started spending more time with old friends that I lost touch with along the way, started going to church functions that I always wanted to go to but never made the time or had the energy. My relationship with my family is greatly improved. I have found a peace and happiness that I always dreamed of but never could achieve. And it's only been 9 weeks!!!

I am sharing this because I want everyone to know that, whether you are 20, 30, 40+++, this experience can end up being the best thing that ever happens to you. I think it's a matter of having to face, maybe for the first time, something that causes you to have to dig down deep inside and dig up more courage than you ever had to. Something that makes you realize every precious moment of life in a way you never thought about before. Something that scares the hell out of you and wakes up the goddess inside.

I have, as have so many of us, had challenges before. I lost my parents, a precious premature baby, went through 2 divorces, faced financial insecurity, etc. Those were strength and character-building experiences as well. But, this thing, this hysterectomy, has so far been the biggest life-changing experience of all for me.

I cannot wait to see what is in store down the road. I welcome and embrace the next challenge knowing that I am a survivor!

I hope and pray that each and every one of my sisters can find some strength and self-actualization through this process. I know that for many of you there are continuing physical challenges such as chemo or other issues. I don't mean to come across as insensitive to that. I can't imagine what that would be like and I pray for all of my sisters everyday. I just hope that everyone can find, at the very least, a peace knowing that you are a survivor too and God has so much in store for each and every one of us.

Never thought I'd be grateful for pre-cancer and major surgery.....who would have imagined? But, God had to find some way to shake me and wake me to a new life.

Oh, and by the way, I have landed a fantastic job working for a dear friend of mine. It's my dream-job as I get to continue what I do best but can work from home, make my own schedule and there are unlimited earnings potential. God really was leading me the right way.

Blessings and love to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Re: 40 and Hysterectomy- The Best is Yet to Come!

AWESOME. Just AWESOME. I am teary eyed. GOD BLESS YOU. Your message alone has jolted me. I have to begin to put a lot of things in perspective. This year has not been my greatest. And to top it off, I have to have major surgery. I am leery, but I know that it is the best choice. For the last couple of months I have been suffering with the heavy bleeding, and I am tired of it. I am looking forward to my life post-hysterectomy. Grace & Peace.
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:55 PM

It's scary, I know. Just believe that your quality of life will improve because it will!

Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM

WoW!!!! "Somehow" (I know now, it wasn't by mistake)... I came across your posting..."Thank you" on behalf of ALL of us!!! Your words really have made a difference, as I'm sure they have for many others...I've always thought of myself as a positive person...however, "hats off to you!!!"

Many hugs!
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:46 AM

Peppermintpeggy, Thank you so much for your inspiring message!

I had my hysterectomy a month and a half before I turned 42. I am still coming to terms with it. The good thing is that I have grown in maturity and awareness following my surgery.

Hugs to all!
Unread 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM

WOW... what a testimony... Thanks for sharing all of that... I am ready for a hyst... can't imagine feeling the feelings I have read about on here but I am sure there will be phases we all go thru... But thanks for posting and helping support us all
Unread 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Red face - 40 and life AFTER  - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) Re: 40 and Hysterectomy- The Best is Yet to Come!

I too am 40 and had a total hysterectomy on 9-12-09 and then found this site, this is great!Still learning to manuver my way around all the sites on here. Going in for another surgery for my stomach on tuesday. Thanks to all you ladies for being there for me and I hope I can be of help to others.
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Talking - 40 and life AFTER  - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) Re: 40 and Hysterectomy- The Best is Yet to Come!

You should be an inspirational speaker! Wow! You really so und enlightened and inspired! I'm 40 and had my total hyst-2 wks ago-and not like many others mine was for PMDD-i couldnt control it with hormones like birthcontrol because i've had a blood clot post-op 4 yrs ago! So,i had to dig deep and soul search looking at the the whole picture-live the rest of my life with 2 weeks out of the month suffering and my family paying the price of my PMDD-it really is a horrible condition-it's not a bad attitude or something women use to get away with being moody-it's a dark downward spiral that starts the day after ovulation-mid-cycle and that takes the sunshine out of life! And until i start my period that i pray will come early-i avoid social settings and dread even a trip to the groceriy because i simply hate everyone and everything! I'm generally a very happy person but was only living 2 wks a month-basically 1/2 my life-so facing surg. to feel better i also had to consider another blood clot could take my life. i was so very scared and made list for my husband just in case i died-i gave all of my valuable jewelry to my teenager daughter for safe keeping-including my wedding ring. i cried for a wk and decided if i died then at least i tried to make my life better for my family! i'm 2 wks post op and on blood thinners as a precaution measure for the clots-my daughter brought me my jewelry last night and sat them on my dresser.She is an angel-so i will take that as a sign from God that i'm going to be ok and push forward with my new life! I really feel great and without anymore PMDD i look forward to life and summer full of fun! no more planning for the negative-just soaking up the sun that was missing from my life for years! Im 40-and happy! My husband can breathe and my kids are going to notice someday the difference it has made in me! I agree the best is yet to come!
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:39 PM

I feel the same way! Everyday is a little bit better and my family can "breath" now. I've learned a lot from this and my only regret is that it wasn't done sooner. Hope everyone is feeling good out there today
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

I do not know what prompted me to read your message. I know it was GOD. I have been having problems for 20 years with endomeotrosis, fibroids, heavy periods, etc. I am 45 years old and have been having pain for almost a year. Not feeling well, tired all the time and the pain just keeps getting worse.

Anyway, my husband and I consulted with my doctor yesterday and we are setting me up for a hysterectomy to be done in late May or late June of this year. I have been on the fence about having a hysterectomy. I am down about it actually. I feel bad that I cannot wait 5 - 7 years to go into natural menopause. I feel like a failure at times. But, after reading your message it gives me hope. I am tired of living in pain and want to have a more quality life. I am looking to the future and this is a small weight off my shoulders.

Yes, I am scared about the surgery. How will I feel afterwards, etc. I have to have a complete hysterectomy so I will be put into surgical menopause. There is alot of unanswered questions and that is why I joined this website back in October last year. I have been wrestling with this surgery for a long time and it is now time for me to get it over with.

Thank you for insight to what you went through and how you look forward to the future. It gives me hope.

Beachrdbdaisy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register