7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body? 7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body?

Unread 04-08-2021, 04:40 AM
7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body?

Hello lovely sisters,

I'm 7 weeks post-OP for TLH and salpingectomy and feeling more and more down about how I look.

I look 5 months pregnant all day, every day, and it's really knocking my confidence. I've had a hell of a year with daily extreme pain and was so happy when I got the surgery, because I felt like I could finally live my life. But I severely underestimated how it would affect my body and how long recovery would really take.

It definitely doesn't help that my husband has become a fitness fanatic in the past year and has told me he thinks I would be happier if I watched my calories and exercised more. I feel like that's just a roundabout way of telling me I'm too fat. I'm right at the border of getting into an 'overweight' BMI but I'm lighter now than I have been for at least half our relationship.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this? Obviously working from home and lockdown in general doesn't help, as I have no reason to dress up - not that I could in this state, anyway.

Would love to get advice on how to manage my confidence and body image, and how to dress my extremely bloated self.

Thank you for reading everyone <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Re: 7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body?

and

Even though you're 7 weeks post-op, your body is still healing. You may have been cleared to resume activities, but inside - where you had all those stitches and cauterizations - things are still knitting together, strengthening, and inflammation is still easy to trigger. With inflammation, there's likely to be our old friend swelly belly. How long that goes on varies from Sister to Sister, but generally 2-3 months post-op is typical. My own experince is that I got dull aches and swelling through 8 weeks, and beyond 8 weeks whenever I did more than my body was ready for. Sometimes it was activity specific, like power washing the front porch or shoving a 24-pack of soda over my head on a high shelf. One time it was an 18-hour day of working, driving, attending an outdoor concert and driving back home. Last time at the mat with those symptoms was after kicking up the intensity of a core routine, and that happened at 5 months.

So intense activity might not be in the near future, but certainly you can start walking regularly if you haven't already. With a return of stamina, you'll be able to find a program or routine which you like. I happen to enjoy Body Combat / Group Fight for cardio and Body Pump / Group Power with weight training. You might find that running or cycling is your sweet spot, or swimming.

As far as calories, yes, the idea is to use more calories than you need, but those extreme eating plans where calories are severely limited aren't the way to go for we often don't get the right nutrients and we starve our bodies - that's why such eating plans aren't sustainable. A better plan is to clean up the pantry and fridge: replace the highly processed foods, sweet snacks, added sugared drinks, boxed dinners with fresh ingredients, whole grains and water (flavored or add a little natural fruit juice just for flavor); make sure lean meats or other sources of protein get included, and get a good balance of protein, healthy carbs (grains, veggies, fruits), and healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, eggs, cheese).

I don't think your husband meant to barb you with his comment, yet what he said wasn't wrong, either. I believe he was trying to get you to refocus from your opinion of your body from dwelling on where you are now to doing something positive. The walking and the pantry / fridge cleanout are both things you can do now. The more intense fitness can come later as your body heals. Remember, it's been through a lot: be kind to and patient with it.

Unread 04-08-2021, 11:54 AM
Re: 7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body?

I had my surgery on Feb 1,2021 and I know how you feel. I had just found my abs when I needed this surgery to remove cancer. I am at a point now where I can step up my workouts and get my body back. Now I can't fit into all my clothes,size 8, so I did go and buy a couple pair of size 12 jeans to feel normal and comfy. Well worth it! And I put on make up everyday, just a little, just because it makes me feel pretty and ready to start the day. I am not working unless you count caring for all my farm animals....yep I dress up for them! Lol!!

I purged all bad foods back in September so eating healthy with lots of veggies, sprouted breads, fruits, good protein and healthy fats. And lots of water!!! With time, I know my body will return just have to take one day at a time. You will get there as well. I also took up one of those paint by number paintings to feel like I accomplished something...turned out pretty good.

Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2021, 04:48 AM
7 weeks post hysterectomy: How to deal with hating my body?

Where I live, we've been in lockdown since the end of November, and our government has just issued a Stay At Home order in response to skyrocketing case numbers. During this time, I've found that simply putting on clean clothes and brushing my hair every day makes me feel better about myself; for essential trips like grocery shopping and health care appointments, I'll get a little more dressed up, and swap out my usual ponytail for a modified French twist. I've also recognized that eating healthy food and going out for regular walks, as permitted under the current order, help to maintain my health, and make the current situation a little more bearable. I'm also an avid knitter, and instead of obsessing over my imperfections, I've been learning how to tailor my patterns to complement my unique body shape, and I aim to do a little bit every day, so I can feel like I've accomplished something. Our government has also stepped up its vaccination rollout, and I have an appointment for my first shot today, which gives me hope for a future when all this will seem like a bad dream. So don't give up hope, because better days are ahead! Wishing you all the best for continued health and healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register