Castle Story-good for those in waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Castle Story-good for those in waiting Castle Story-good for those in waiting

Unread 04-04-2002, 11:17 AM
Castle Story-good for those in waiting

Let me say first that waiting is the worst part of the whole thing.

I arrived at the Castle with DH on March 22nd. Ladies at the front desk were waiting for me. The receptionist had no trouble figuring out who I was since I was the only surgery scheduled that day. I should explain that this Castle is a Woman's type hosptial. Child birth and woman's surgery is all they handle there.
Sent me up stairs to admissions. Somehow those 101 questions I was asked got lost and had to go over them again. Finally to my room changed to into a pretty backless gown, and lovely white stockings.
Waited in bed for a few minutes and someone came up to take a blood test. Next a Tech came in to Prep me for surgery. Shaved that area in question.
Next another nurse came in and had to go over the 101 questions again.
Surgery was set for 9:00 however someone came up early and said they wanted to start early. Not finished with 101 questions.
Sat me in wheelchair until questions finished. When the questions were finished I was off back down stairs to surgery. DH got to go with me as far as the Surgery Preop room.
He said a prayer with me then kissed goodbye until later.
Got on the stretcher and nurses debated if they should put in the IV or let the (doctor that puts you to sleep) can't spell what he's called. It's had to get an IV in me because I have tiny veins.
I asked for a skin numer and they said I could have that. The doctor that puts you to sleep came in and said he would take care of it.
For all you IV whimps like me please ask for the skin numer works great.
Anyway felt this tiny sting then he was wrapping my hand with tape. I couldn't figure out how he was going to get the IV in with all that tape. He said she's ready to go. I looked at my hand there was the IV! I was so amazed.
He asked if I had ever had a reaction to being put to sleep and I told him about the time when I was 11. Figuring it would be long enough ago it wouldn't matter since I haven't had a problem since. He ordered some stuff to prevent sickness just to make sure.
Got into the surgery room and moved to the surgery table.
Looked around the room and watched them strap my arms down to the arm rests.
Suddenly the room looked different and had this terrible pain. My throat was sore and my lips dry. A nurse told me I was in the recovery room and did I want some ice chips. I didn't know ice chips tasted so good.
I could hear conversations about only one surgery today except for 3 C-sections. Then they talked about somebody's huge uterus that was removed.
I asked are you talking about me.
A nurse beside me said Yes.
I looked at her and asked how big was it.
She motioned her hands into something about the size of a medium sized loaf of bread.
I heard another nurse say "It was that big?"
The nurse said Yes, it was really huge.
The other nurse "Is THAT her uterus?"
Nurse said, "No that is my lunch."
Pillow police went on full alert at that moment.
I said oh no owwww I need a tummy pillow. Please don't make me laugh.
The pain meds still had not worked at that point. Kept telling me to take deep breaths. Nothing.
I kept hearing these beeps. Everytime I heard them they would ask me to ake deep breaths. Got to get those lungs awake they said.
A little later they said you can go to your room now and promised I would feel much better once I got there.
Once in the room had to move myself into the bed. The nurses were right. I did feel much better. A whole lot better.
They showed me how to use the PCA pump, which became my friend. : )
It wasn't long before I felt better than when I walked into the Castle that morning. Groggy but better.
I didn't have a roommate the entire time I was there. So DH was able to stay with me during the night. Got me ice chips when I needed them. Seems for some reason they were just out of my reach or the container was too big for me to handle.
Next morning they took out the cath. a couple of hours later I needed to get up to try to get to the bathroom. Getting up the first time is not fun. But at least it gets easier the second time.
Couldn't go the first time I tried so back to bed. Another couple of hours I tried again. Getting out of bed was easier thankfully.
Sat on the throne and a very slow trickle. I decided that while sitting there I could at least brush my teeth. DH helped me with that while nurse changed sheets. Then nurse gave me a sponge bath. Back to bed.
Doctor came in later and had me taken off IV and my friend the PCA pump.
Finally passed gas around 6:15 pm and got solid food the next morning. Wanted my jello instead. But settled for bagel and cream cheese.
Lunch came around didn't really want that either. Still wanted jello and that creamed strained soup. Can't remember what it was now.
Got out of the Castle on Monday morning and have been improving since. Slow but get better everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Wow....what a story

I love the part about strapping down the arms....a pain and oh I am awake..

Felt like that with my laprascopuy (sp wrong) they said you will feel a burning sensation....ok yes I fe........come on wake up.....oh its over....wow!!!

Now if only the pain could be so easy with hysto...ugh!!!

Scared to death...and glad to get it over with at the same time. I am sure I would do better if they would knock me out at the admission desk...

Well wishes for a speedy recovery....rest, relax and read....the new three Rs for us chicks.

sindee
TAH and possible BSO with excision of lesions from endo
4/23
Unread 04-05-2002, 11:18 AM
Princess Loves the soaps!

Thanks for posting your story! Glad everything went so well for you and that you are now recovering. Take it easy, and enjoy being a pampered princess!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 12:08 PM

Great story! I laughed outright when you told about the nurses discussing your uterus and lunch interchangably!
Anesthesia these days has become so far advanced these days that it amazes me how painless this procedure really is. I, too, remember getting a "sedative" in my IV and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room 2 hours later!
Unread 04-05-2002, 01:23 PM

some where along the way I skiped the recovery room I don't remember even been in there all I remember is being in or wating room and then waking up in my own room with my family and friends around me then back to sleep
I am glad that everything went well for you
hugs ladypeewee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register