Ready to chicken out!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ready to chicken out!! Ready to chicken out!!

Unread 02-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Ready to chicken out!!

hi, everyone. I bought an awful book from this website, called " Hsterectomy: Before and After". It has really put me into a panic mode. I am ready to chicken out of my TVH scheduled for 2/27. I have dysfunctional Uterine bleeding. When my doc tried to treat me with HRT, after just 3 weeks I b/c very depressed, it was a very scary experience that I never want to go through again. I am really afraid of my ovaries shutting down and needing HRT again. This book says the statistics for ovaries not working after a hysterectomy are as high as 50%!! The book says that if my ovaries do shut down, I could likely go through early menopause (experience vaginal dryness, painful sex, mood swings, wrinkles, excessive hair growth etc...etc...) I'm afraid I will hate myself. My doc suggested the TVH b/c I also have a slight degree of prolapse,that causes me pain at night occassionally, but I could certainly live with this and just get a uterine ablation for the bleeding. I know I may have to have repeated procedures, but maybe not, and even so, it may be better than taking the risk of all of the above side effects. Please tell me what you ladies think. Thanks, Sharon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2001, 05:54 PM
Ready to chicken out!!

HI Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear that the book gave you the "spooks". Wow, I can understand how reading something that gave you such a grim outlook, would make you want to cancel your upcoming surgery. Lets take a look at your post, and maybe I can give you a rosier picture of the outcome! Here goes... First of all how many different types of HRT have you tried? Maybe, the HRT that you were on was a little too strong for you, and that's why you had the awful experience that you did! Sometimes, it takes a lot of tries to get the exact balance that your body needs, and it all takes patience. Unfortunately, this all takes time, and when you're feeling bad, the last thing you want to do is mess around trying different medications. We all want that "quick" fix..Next, it sounds as if you have a good understanding of what type of surgical treatment your Dr., has planned, and you really seem, rather up to date on alternative treatments, which is excellent! You are in control of your health, so I commend you on that.. Have you discussed any of your reservations with your Dr.? He/she really needs you to tell, them how your feeling. A lot of your recovery will depend on your outlook, and it's very important for you to try and have a positive one.. HRT, is not as bad as you think. I've had both ovaries removed at two different times, and I'm on HRT, and doing rather well. The only side effects that I've experienced was some minor fluid retention, that has easily been treated with the addition of a water pill. I, too was a little leary of the whole menopause, cycle, and thought the worst would happen, only because that's what I had heard from many women who had already gone through it. But, I'm glad I got to go through it myself, and I found it not too be as "bad" as I had been told. Many times we only hear the "horror" stories, and not the positive sides to the story. As for your ovaries not functioning after surgery, it all depends on how close you are to menopause in your life cycle, and yes, they do go through a period of "shock", due to the manipulation from the surgery. You still have a few weeks to get more information about your impending surgery, and Hyster Sisters is the best place to get it! Along with your Dr., as well. I hope I've given you a more positive outlook, and helped you. I'm always available for talking so feel free to Eamil me at anytime! Love & Blessings to you! Roz
Unread 02-09-2001, 06:01 PM
You need to think some more

Hi Sharon,

It sounds to me (I'm no doctor remember) like you need more information about your condition and maybe a postponement of surgery. First of all, if you haven't tried endometrial ablation, and it is an option, it is much less serious than major surgery. I had an endometrial ablation myself and it was not a horrible experience by any means. It did not work for me, however, because what we didn't know at the time is that I had adenomyosis. This condition only gets worse and so far there is no treatment that works. It is also very underdiagnosed. It can be seen by MRI and it sometimes can be diagnosed by a deep uterine biopsy. Often it isn't diagnosed until a pathology report. If this is what you have treatment will not help but you will find that out as time goes on. I chose to keep my reproductive organs even though it was very difficult because I wanted to go through menopause naturally. I did this and then developed ovarian tumors which required TAH/BSO. I feel much differently about having had this done now than I would have before I went through menopause.

I strongly suggest that you give careful consideration to your options and not do anything that you do not feel entirely comfortable with. BTW, that book is not horrible, it is truthful. What you need are facts. You wouldn't want to be surprised by having your ovaries fail when you didn't know that could happen, would you?

I'm sure others will be along soon to reply to your post. Email me if you want to know more about my own experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2001, 06:17 PM
Ready to chicken out!!

http://www.bluemountain.com/eng3gifs...onsible2cp.gif
HUGS TO YOU KIDDO!

We're with you.. and so far the advice has been bang on. The choice is yours, and you're on the right track with being pro active about your decisions. Keep up the great work and try not to fret TOO much.
Unread 02-09-2001, 07:27 PM
Ready to chicken out!!

Hi Sharon!
There was another thread about that same book I believe about a month ago. I did not have a choice and had TAH/BSO and was thrown into surgical menopause. I had a few rough days on the HRT...I found an all natural supplement for hormonal balance that has worked great for me! It may take a bit of tinkering...but it can be worked out...and many women never have this trouble at all. I have not grown a beard, I have not had vaginal dryness, sex is BETTER..{think that cervix got in the way!}...no new wrinkles...I am 51 so I do have a few of those...but I had those before! I have had some dry skin, but I use a moisturizer. And to be honest, I live in the cold north so the dry skin may just be winter and I have had that many winters before. I have NO mood swings anymore because my hormone replacement keeps me at the same level all month long....no PMS! I sure hope this helps....it is not that bad for me and I am happy to answer any other questions you may have!
{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}
kaatie
Unread 02-10-2001, 06:59 AM
3 days Post-op - Words of Encourgement

First let me say I have the same book and agree that it has some slanted information in it - as someone else said, I think it tries to "prepare for the worse...". Secondly, I feel I went through hormone hell for 2 years trying to control by bleeding with a variety of b/c and hormone pills, and these made me downright depressed - not "sad", but really depressed, angry, etc. Ultimately my problem was diagnosed as a fibroid, so I was given three options - do nothing (not likely), have a hyst, or take Lupron and then do a surgey for the fibroid removal and mostly likely have an ablation as an additional procedure afterwards (previously tried ablation, was not possible with the fibroid). Just the thought of Lupron scared the daylights out of me and I CHOOSE the hyst after fully investigating the procedure and likely outcome. So the moral to my long rambling story is that I understand how you feel about hormones and your impending surgery but I feel better today, 3 days post op, then I have for 2 1/2 years KNOWING I am finally fixed. And so far my hormones are intact no problems. Bottom line, make sure you explore all your options and be informed. For DUB w/o cysts or fibrods, the ablation might be a good choice for you. Good Luck.
Unread 02-12-2001, 05:22 AM
Cold Feet

Hi Sharon, I also was having cold feet. Everything I read that was medical advise scared the wits out of me. I have enlarged uterus, fibroids, and heavy bleeding. I've also tried the several years of HRT, and also had a D&C in December that the doctor said might buy me some time. I'm only worse off than before. My surgery is March 6th. I've told my family not to let me talk myself out of doing this. I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am going in with a positive attitude, continue to read this web site and I'm going to make it, and I know you can too. Good luck and feel free to e-mail if you want.
Unread 02-12-2001, 07:49 AM
Books

Books represent the period (oops!) when they were written. Some of the books written by women in the 1960s-1970s were a reaction to the overdone hys -- very common at the time to lop it out, ovaries and all once the kiddies started high school. If you think the stuff written by women is slanted, check out the medical textbooks men were using (in the early 1970s only about 3% of the gyns were women). And if you go back to the books they studied with post-WW II it's even worse!
Unread 02-12-2001, 09:03 AM
Cold Feet 2

I am scheduled for TAH (keeping ovaries) on 3/16 and I too am still having periodic cold feet. I tell you the best thing you can do to reassure yourself is read these posts. Thanks to all of the hystersisters that have come before me. I really do appreciate all of the info. Just reading the post's here today have encouraged me tremendously.
Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make. I will be so glad when it is over the waiting IS the worst part.
Living in a fog waiting for my date at the castle.

Hugs and Hugs some more,
Emily Joy

Unread 02-12-2001, 12:28 PM
Ready to chicken out!!

Hello,

I want to re-assure you. I talked to MANY women before having a TAH, but kept right ovary, and NOT A SINGLE ONE REGRETTED IT! I am 3 weeks post-op and doing great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register