Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends) Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

Unread 08-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

I wasn't comfortable sleeping on my side for about four weeks because it felt weird with my incision. I tried a body pillow but it was too difficult to maneuver. So I slept with a pillow under my knees and did ok.

I didn't buy a toilet stool but was having issues with constipation so used a sturdy box that was about 6 inches tall or so I think? I'm not sure that helped me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

Denise, I hope I didn't order too much unnecessary stuff. A lot of it I either had been wanting already, or I'll have use for after recovery. The one thing I am disappointed with is the squatty potty I bought. I take a med that has fearsome constipation as a side effect and had been wanting to try out a squatty potty for months. It doesn't seem to do much for me.

GPMS, thanks for sharing your encouraging experience. I hope I do as well as you did!

marestail, you are always a wealth of knowledge. I've been keeping the lifting and driving restrictions in mind in my plans. I've got a case of individual bottles of water, instead of using my Britta pitcher, which is a bit heavy when full. I'm clearing out the fridge so that everything can go on the top two shelves, reducing the bending while lifting factor. I rearranged my linen cupboard too, making sure all paper products and clean linens are within reach without bending down or reaching up. I have many other such plans. And I am resigned to not doing housework.

Joyfulnoise, I get my covid test tomorrow, then begin my self quarantine. Not looking forward to it. But you're right, in just a week this phase will be behind us. What time does your surgery start? Mine is scheduled for 5:30 am, EDT. lol, I can't imagine life without list making and organizing. I have not, however, color coded my foods yet. I hope you can find a comfy sleeping position. I must sleep on my back because I use a CPAP machine and that is the only way I can keep my mask on properly. I'm not sure about the laparoscopic gasses, but I think you are right, Gas-X shouldn't help with that. My squatty potty is 7 inches. Good luck to us both! Just 4 more days!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register