I need emotional support! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need emotional support! I need emotional support!

Unread 10-15-2000, 01:21 PM
I need emotional support!

Hi Sisters,

I am a 28 year old mother of 4 children, and my doc told me a week ago that he thinks I should have a TAH possbly wth BSO dependng on how my ovaries look when the surgery is performed. I was somewhat shocked at this news...but considering that I have been having alot of "female" problems for the last 5 years I guess I shouldnt have been so surprised. After my last child was born I had a tubal ligation, and not long after that I began having major cramping, bleeding, and excruciating pain in my pelvic area. Two years ago I ended up in the ER...an ultrasound was done then and I was told that I had alot small fibroids in my uterus. I was put on BC at that time. Six months later (still in pain) I was told that I had a cyst on my right ovary and another in my uterus. Last December my doc prescribed Provera. Still no better. Last week at my 6 mo check-up he decided to do an intravaginal ultrasound. Afterwards he took me into his office and told me that in the last 10 months my uterus has more than doubled in length, width, and thickness. It is the size of a 20 week pregnancy! He said that since I had already had my tubal and that I dont want anymore kids that hysterectomy looked like the best option for me at this point. Also said he would try to save my ovaries if at all possible so I wont be forced into menopause at 28! I am ready to have it over and done with...I realize that it will not be easy but im so tired of hurting, bleeding, and not being able to enjoy life...I have about worried myself to death already though...been reading everything I can...does anyone have any suggestions for me? Mostly I need someone to talk to for emotional support...my DH is very supportive but I need advice and suggestions from others who have gone thru this...hope to hear from someone soon...Im going nuts! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2000, 01:45 PM

Hi Missi:
I am 35 and having a TAH & BSO on Wednesday for large fibroids and severe endo. I too endure heavy bleeding and excruciating pain - as bad as labour pains. Although your age is young, you have decided not to have more children. I too had a tubal at 30 after 2 miscarriages.
I believe that having a hys is the means to an end of constant pain and pressure and adjusting my life around my 10 day periods. I have had 5 laps - belly button looks like a landmine - and tried the Pill as well.
Does your Dr. do myoectomy (remove the fibroids only)? mine tried but to their situation there was too high of a risk of hemmoraghing.

My Mom had a hys at 35 and went on HRT as have other women I know. I personally believe that HRT can't be as bad as the pain and bleeding.

You may want to see a Dr. who can attempt removal of the fibroids only. Also, there is a post op message board where you can talk to ladies who have had the surgery.

Good luck
Unread 10-15-2000, 03:19 PM

Reading your post I believe that the fibroids may be only part of your problem. You may have endometriosis or adenomyosis as well.
I am 5 days post-op for alot of the symtoms you have. I had TAH and although there were some cysts on ovaries, they kept them intact.
I was hostage to the bathroom for 2 days every 3 wks. Plus in the end I would have horrible back cramps so bad that it would actually pull my back out and I would have to take muscle relaxers so that it would go back into place.
The best thing I could have ever done is gotten this hysterectomy. I too had all the other procedures, lots of laparoscopic surgeries, D & E's, hyseroscopy, etc. Tried the pill route too, that was a disaster, and bleed through provera shots (well, should say spotted the whole time).
Had a choice between endometrial ablation or hysterectomy. I said enough is enough and got the hyster. Turns out that I had adenomyosis (overgrowth of glands, sort of like endometriosis but in endo your tissue grows in wrong place, adeno the glands grow through the muscle), endometrial ablation wouldn't have took care of the problem.
Even though I was more than ready for my surgery and actually looking forward to it. 2 wks. post op was very emotional for me. I cried alot. But I have read and found it's true, that the waiting is the worst part.
Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I look forward to your posts and progress notes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2000, 03:27 PM

I wanted to say Hello and Welcome. You have come to the right place for support. I had my surgery 13 months ago and never would have made it through it all without the support of the HysterSisters.

The wait is the hardest part, and we will be here right beside through it all. So post any questions you have, we will be glad to answer.

It sounds like you could possibly have adenomyosis, which is a condition similar to endometriosis, but it invades the muscles in the walls of the uterus, which causes it to become enlarged. Unfortunately, there is no cure for adenomyosis other than hysterectomy. If you would like to read more about Adenomyosis, click on this link Hysterectomy & The Diseases That Lead to Hysterectomy Once you get there you can click on the link that says Adenomyosis.

We wish you the very best.
Unread 10-15-2000, 03:28 PM

sorry you're going through all this. i'm 44,tah on 9/18 for huge fibroids. i too was 20 week pregnacy size and bleeding floods during longer and longer periods. i had to roll over and pull myself up out of bed, getting in and out of cars was difficult, as was standing up or sitting down. i was so scared of surgery and medications and being out of control and the only reason i got it done was because i was tired of being in pain all the time. now i'm so glad i did it. i'm thankful my ovaries were ok but i was prepared to go on hrt if needed, hopefully yours will be ok as well, but if not they have lots of options for replacement. i've never been able to have kids (that was another issue)so i've never been really pregnant, but being able to reach my feet afterwards was a added benefit i hadn't thought of. check out the posts here. try doing a search for questions or concerns you may have, someone's bound to have experience with it. the ladies here are great and very helpful. God bless you and hugs for you.
Unread 10-15-2000, 06:38 PM

It's so good to hear from you. My doc DID say that I probably had Adenomyosis...I had never heard of it before but have been doing alot of research about it and the more I read the more I think that is what I have. I have thought of another question...I have had 4 kids and my tummy is saggy.. muscles are basically nonexistent and I have a hernia at the place where the muscles have separated about mid-tummy. Will this have an affect on whether my doc will do a vertical abd. cut or a bikini cut? I'll be sure to add that to my list of questions! Well guess I better go get the DH and kids some supper...gotta take care of them good so I will get the same in return.. Thanks sisters...prayers to all of you! Please keep talking to me to keep me sane
Hugs,
Missi
[Edited by missipooh_99 on 10-15-2000]
Unread 10-15-2000, 07:54 PM

Hi Missi, I just wanted to give my emotional support to you! I am 28 years old also, and scheduled for TAH on November 28. I have 3 children, (4?? wow!!) and have found this site to be a wonderful thing for me. My problems began around '95 and I had never imagined living being controlled by my uterus! I have many adhesions which have glued me together inside, and pain almost all the time. Thankfully, I sent my hubby to the doctor last year to get fixed, so more children is not an issue. It makes it a little easier. I am still a while away from the surgery, but I have found myself thinking about it almost all the time. My doc is going to see me next friday for my pre-op, and thanks to this site, I have a ton more questions for her! Feel free to email me so we can get through this together. I am happy to make new friends, especially here.

Ami

[email protected]

TAH~11/28/2000~due to uterine abnormalities which have finally taken over my life!
Unread 10-15-2000, 08:05 PM

Because I had 3 c-sections tubal, tubal reversal and tubal again there were so many adhesions they had to do Abdominal hysterectomy, vaginal wasn't even an option. Based on what you wrote, that might be the case for you also.
Also, I'd like to add a side note, if you have been reading up on Adenomyosis, you may know this already.
Although they do not really know the cause of adeno studies have shown that you are more prone to it if you have had multiple gynecological surgeries. It creates weak spots.
You did not indicate whether your children were born natural or by c-section.
You are in good hands at this site. Lots of valuable info that I would have been lost without.
Unread 10-16-2000, 06:53 AM

Kat...all 4 of my children were vaginal births...the only surgery I have ever had was the laparoscopic tubal in 95. I dont know why my gyn is gonna do the TAH...maybe cuz my uterus is too large to be removed thru TVH (20 wk preggo size)?? I will have to ask him about that for sure and see if that is an option for me. The pregnancies were 4 in 5 yrs and really took a toll on my body. I had toxemia with the first was on bedrest for months and in the hosp a month b4 my son was born...then 2 wks after. I had preterm labor wth my 2nd and 3rd sons (took meds to prevent labor n the last 3 mo of each one) and my daughter was a fraternal twin..(the other one spontaneously aborted at about 8 wks...so I have had a rough time with all of this...guess Im ready to top it all off now by gettng rid of "IT"...thanks for letting me vent ..guess im feelin al little down this morning ..(been in bed for 3 days with cramps)....hugs to u and thanks alot again...Missi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register