Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends) Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

Unread 07-25-2020, 11:46 PM
Re: getting prepared for post op recovery, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

Thank you all, marestail, RDorm, Lolli1970 and LAFz. I appreciate your support.

Marestail, I am amazed at how many articles there are on here and feel like I've read them all even though I have only read a fraction of what is available. HysterSister is amazing! I do have a ride home from the hospital lined up. Someone I trust enough to let them see me in my pajamas, lol. I plan on asking them to stay long enough to see me safely ensconced in bed. I've been investigating grocery delivery and feel encouraged. My doctor did mention perhaps an extra night in the hospital since I live alone, which is a relief and I hope comes through.

RDorm, thanks for your encouragement. That's a very good idea, to prepare my rest spot the day before, including clothes. Or really, pajamas. I think I can tolerate an imperfectly clean house for a little while. I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Lolli1970, I am unsure if paying for help would be financially possible. It may be, and if it is, I will definitely take advantage of that, that's a very good idea. Thank you for your well wishes!

LAFz, I ordered a grabber just this morning, lol. I actually have a rolling table in the living room already and it is very convenient indeed. Good to know about the cane. Thanks for your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2020, 03:29 AM
Re: getting prepared for post op recovery, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

(((Poppy471)))

You've had some excellent replies. If you've not already done so, please be sure to also visit our dedicated Hints From Members forum for thousands of sisters' must-haves and should-haves!

I'm sending positive thoughts for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 07-26-2020, 05:24 AM

One thing my husband would do before he went to work in the days was put any pots and pans I may want to use during the day on the counter. That way there was no need to bend, reach or lift any of that. So maybe put a few pots etc withing easy reach before leaving for the hospital, that way you can cook a few easy things for yourself. You can do this alone, just takes a little more planning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2020, 01:01 PM

Thank you, poodle and Kel66 for your prompt replies.

Poodle, I had not seen that forum board, it's a wealth of knowledge! Thank you for pointing it out, and thank you for your well wishes!

Kel66, that's a very good idea. I plan on placing everything on the top two fridge shelves for less bending and heavy canned goods on the counter, for less reaching up into the cabinets. I'm a real planner and organizer so I think I'll do ok. I appreciate your support and encouragement.

I still feel a bit apprehensive about having so little outside support, but actually doing the planning is making this seem more do-able.
Unread 07-26-2020, 04:03 PM

I’m a huge planner, too. I had my bedroom all set up. Thing is, I had much better mobility from the beginning than I expected I would. And I ended up spending all of my awake time in the family room on the couch and on my deck and walking in my yard. I bought all kinds of things that I didn’t end up needing. I expected to basically be an invalid for a while. It wasn’t like that at all. I couldn’t really do any cooking or chores or anything much for a while. But I could move around a lot better than I thought I would be able to from the beginning, and I was able to relax on the couch in front of the TV and on my deck to get a little vitamin D each day. Good luck with your planning and surgery!
Unread 07-26-2020, 05:11 PM

Hi LAFz

So you're a planner too? It can be very helpful for me and give me a sense of control, but since I obsess, it can get out of hand and result in feeling overwhelmed by my own lists. I try to tread a fine line, plan sensibly but don't obsess.

I'm trying to limit my purchases to things I would probably use anyway, like a phone charger for next to my bed. The only post op recovery specific items I've bought are a pillow designed for seat belts and a binder thingy.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and well wishes!
Unread 07-31-2020, 09:53 AM

I bought a bunch of stuff I didn't end up using, like a body pillow, a binder, and a tummy pillow. My advice would be make a list and buy as close to your surgery date as possible so you can return stuff if you need to. Amazon gives you a good amount of time to return. I still have the body pillow since I ordered it too early The best purchase I made was milk of magnesia! I had stool softeners but had major issues with constipation and that's what did the trick but check with your doctor.

I also bought some really large underwear so I could pull above my incision and some extra pairs of loose sweats so that I had enough before I needed to do laundry but most days I wore a robe and a shirt, if company came by, I put on pants but it was much more comfortable without pants!

You should be able to manage well on your own, just don't do too much and keep showers short. Buy some non perishable food/snacks. I used Prime Now food delivery a few times and more local grocery stores will do food delivery now with a day or two notice.
Unread 07-31-2020, 05:51 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFz View Post
I’m a huge planner, too. I had my bedroom all set up. Thing is, I had much better mobility from the beginning than I expected I would. And I ended up spending all of my awake time in the family room on the couch and on my deck and walking in my yard. I bought all kinds of things that I didn’t end up needing. I expected to basically be an invalid for a while. It wasn’t like that at all. I couldn’t really do any cooking or chores or anything much for a while. But I could move around a lot better than I thought I would be able to from the beginning, and I was able to relax on the couch in front of the TV and on my deck to get a little vitamin D each day. Good luck with your planning and surgery!
Yes, a hysterectomy is not disabling, yes there is pain the first week, and restrictions but you can still function alone.

I recovered from hysterectomy and hip replacement alone, and hip replacement was far more challenging as you are physically disabled. I had enough to eat for 2 weeks and was riding bus to supermarket with my walker and a bag pack at 3 weeks.
I was able to do that a week after my hysterectomy
Unread 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM

Hi Poppy471 -

For your planning, keep in mind that you will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common. You will also be restricted from driving, normally 2 to 3 weeks. So, you really need to make sure you have most, if not all, of what you will need ahead of time. And let things like house cleaning go. It is just not important. My house did not get cleaned for 8 weeks. By the end, I was naming dust bunnies and my carpets were black with cat hair (we had three black cats at the time. )

Unread 08-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/5, what do I need to do/buy? (Recovering alone, with little help from friends)

I'm also going on Aug. 5th and just wanted to say hi and cheer us on. Did you get your COVID test yesterday? Our hospital required it... the bad kind of test. It was much worse than I imagined and took about 3 hours to get over the immediate headache it gave me, eye ache, and nose burning. Of course my nose ran the rest of the day. Terrible time to have to go through this type of thing.

But still... just think a week from now we'll be on the other side of it and the early days of recovery. I enjoyed reading the ideas here. While I have help coming, I did many of these suggestions. (Including buying HysterSisters pillow with the pockets for hot and cold gel packs.) I also pre-cooked a bunch of food to make it easier on others. I color coded the frozen containers of what contains what. So I know what you mean about list making / organizing. LOL

I have a body pillow too and wondered how it feels to sleep on your side. I can't see sleeping on my bad all the time and wondered if it could be positioned somehow to sleep at least somewhat sideways.

Unfortunately my bedroom is upstairs, so I may stay up there the first few days before trying to walk up and down. I'll have to try my walks throughout those 3 bedrooms at first. I keep hearing how important walking is to help with the gasses (especially from laparoscopic which may only come out from walking (b/c it comes out by rising apparently through arms / neck.) Do I understand right Gas X doesn't help with that kind?

I hadn't heard the idea about a foot stool in the bathroom. How tall are those usually?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register