Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date

Unread 07-30-2020, 03:47 PM
Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date

i feel like nothing is wrong. I haven't even registered yet that I'm going to have this surgery. Both my sisters have had it and they're telling me things to prepare me. I'm going in on september 21st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2020, 05:22 PM
Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz72 View Post
i feel like nothing is wrong. I haven't even registered yet that I'm going to have this surgery. Both my sisters have had it and they're telling me things to prepare me. I'm going in on september 21st.
It was surreal and somewhat exciting when I received my date. Even though my surgery day is 2 weeks away, it hasn't completely hit me yet.
Unread 07-30-2020, 07:45 PM
Re: i have a date

Hi sweetz72 -

It is very understandable that the surgery does not seem real, especially because you feel just fine.

My surgery was for a very large (12x9x11 cm) complex ovarian cyst and multiple uterine fibroids. I was asymptomatic and felt fine. My cyst was discovered by my then-GP during my annual exam. An ultra sound and MRI diagnosed it. My CA125 was normal but my OVA1 was elevated. My gyn onc surgeon examined me, took a look at all of my tests, and said "You are having surgery ASAP. I have openings in my schedule for the next two weeks." Ten days later I was in the OR. All was tested and all was benign but it happened so fast it made my head spin.

It can take time to digest this surgery, emotionally and mentally. It is great that your real life sisters can help you plan and hopefully lend a hand. We, your online hystersisters, will be here as well.

Ask what questions you have and we will try to answer them for you. Or just get on the site and express your feelings. It really does help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Re: Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date

Quote:
Originally Posted by marestail View Post
Hi sweetz72 -

It is very understandable that the surgery does not seem real, especially because you feel just fine.

My surgery was for a very large (12x9x11 cm) complex ovarian cyst and multiple uterine fibroids. I was asymptomatic and felt fine. My cyst was discovered by my then-GP during my annual exam. An ultra sound and MRI diagnosed it. My CA125 was normal but my OVA1 was elevated. My gyn onc surgeon examined me, took a look at all of my tests, and said "You are having surgery ASAP. I have openings in my schedule for the next two weeks." Ten days later I was in the OR. All was tested and all was benign but it happened so fast it made my head spin.
My fibroids were first discovered during an MRI in January for an unrelated condition. Well, they saw "ovarian masses" and had me go to my GYN for a sonogram in February. The GYN referred me to a GYN oncologist, and since I was asymptomatic, he didn't feel the need to schedule me right away. I ended up having my surgery in June. Because of the adhesions, everything came out, and it turns out I had benign ovarian tumors.

I also was asymptomatic. If I hadn't had the MRI for my other condition, I may well have been walking around with fibroids for even longer.
Unread 08-07-2020, 04:28 AM
Re: Upcoming September hysterectomy - i have a date

:
When my fibroids were first discovered on a routine ultrasound in 2006, my family doctor and I agreed on a plan of watchful waiting, with the expectation that they would shrink with menopause. Fast forward to October 2014, I was in for my flu shot when I casually mentioned that I was having urinary issues from one of the fibroids pressing on my bladder; when he laid one hand on it, he was disgusted at how large it had grown, and he told me that he was referring me for surgery, and needless to say I was stunned. I was expecting the surgeon to recommend a myomectomy, and when he told me that because the fibroids were inside the uterine wall, a hysterectomy was my only option, I was still stunned after his examination, so it didn't really sink in. When I went for my pre-op, listening to him describing the surgery and filling out the paperwork, that's when the reality of the situation finally sank in. As the others have said, you can lean on us for support at every stage of your journey. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register