Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 02, 2020 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 02, 2020 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 02, 2020

Unread 08-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 02, 2020

shannabanana... wow. What a journey you've had. I got married at 39 and we tried to have a baby for about 8 years to no avail. I believe I have at least 2 in heaven. So my heart goes out to you. So glad you have your 10 month old to enjoy after you get beyond all this.

My biggest fibroid is about the same size as yours. I have a cyst on my left ovary too that has been causing issues so likely not just the cyst but the ovary will go. We think I'll keep my right one. It's awful how they just grow back ya know??? I'd heard the same thing if you get them removed but nothing changes in our eating or hormone levels, recurrence is high. (Some said eating vegan helps them not grow but I found that not to be true so I gave up since I had no interest in eating that way.) Mine just kept growing and I felt like it was b/c of estrogen dominance. I'll be glad for it to be gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2020, 07:00 AM

Miracle1206... I pray all goes well for you. I asked a nurse at my pre-op Friday what to do about that gas (since it doesn't come out "the normal way". haha.) They said walking helps as much as we won't feel like it. So it can rise and she said DON'T DRINK OUT OF A STRAW.

After my two other procedures to try to avoid this (D&C and ablation) they gave me ice water once I woke up, both times had a straw. Of course gas with those wasn't an issue.) So I was glad they told me that.

Does Gas X help with that kind of gas? I'm not allowed to bring anything OTC to the hospital though so it seems like we have to wait til we get home to use it for relief. But I wasn't sure if that only helps with the abdominal version of gas.
Unread 08-02-2020, 07:09 AM

good morning ladies! i am having a full hysterectomy and either lymph node removal or biopsy due to endometrial cancer on wens august 5th. I am 56 and have been very healthy until now so this surgery will be a whole new thing for me. I started bleeding constantly and having pain after not having a period for 8 months last october and after many months of ultrasounds, biopsies, tests, and a D&C I found out about the cancer on june 15th~ I am supposed to start radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks after I heal from surgery a few weeks....and then chemo as well.... I am so glad to have this site to chat and learn everything I can!! good luck to all of you strong women!!! big hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled dreams View Post
good morning ladies! i am having a full hysterectomy and either lymph node removal or biopsy due to endometrial cancer on wens august 5th. I am 56 and have been very healthy until now so this surgery will be a whole new thing for me. I started bleeding constantly and having pain after not having a period for 8 months last october and after many months of ultrasounds, biopsies, tests, and a D&C I found out about the cancer on june 15th~ I am supposed to start radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks after I heal from surgery a few weeks....and then chemo as well.... I am so glad to have this site to chat and learn everything I can!! good luck to all of you strong women!!! big hugs
Make Happy Memories!
Unread 08-02-2020, 08:29 AM

Hello everyone!

I am having a da Vinci robotic total hysterectomy tomorrow morning (Monday, August 3). I am 38 years old and do not have children. I live alone so will be moving in with my parents for a week or two following surgery so my mother (a retired nurse) can help. I’d say my dad can help too but he just has his prostate removed so we will be recovering together!

I have been struggling with terrible cramps, and heavy long periods with large clots for many years. I had a hysteroscopy/partial Myomectomy/DNC back in November 2019 however my largest fibroid is too embedded in the uterus wall to remove it so along with my gynecologist I decided hysterectomy is the way to go, especially because it continued to grow larger since the partial Myomectomy. I also have a family history of uterine cancer and Lynch Syndrome so taking it out only makes sense.

My surgeon will try to do the removal vaginally however he did warn me that my uterus is slightly larger than his typical cut-off size for vaginal removal and the fact that I have never given birth will make it more difficult as well so he may have to make an incision to pull the uterus out through my abdomen. He’ll be removing uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes but plans to leave ovaries unless he gets in there and their appearance gives him cause for concern, in which case he will remove them. There’s always the chance that he will have to completely open me up vertically if robotic doesn’t end up being a viable option. I know that it might happen but I hope it doesn’t!

My main concern is that my weight will cause complications. I am obese and worried about how that will impact the surgery and my recovery.

Not looking forward to today’s bowel prep but know it’s all for the best.

Wishing you each an uneventful surgery and speedy recoveries. I look forward to catching up with you in the recovery thread when we all come out on the other side!!!
Unread 08-02-2020, 10:31 AM

Hi everyone, my name is Sarah and I am having my op on Wednesday. I have had endometriosis, fibroids and cervical cell issues since my 20's and had various laporoscopies for that. In February I had a MRI where they found adenomyoisis also.

I am 46 and sadly without any of my own babies, although I am a step mum and even a step-nanna.

I don't actually have any worries about the procedure of recovery as I am keen to say goodbye to this part of me. I am having my womb and cervix removed but keeping ovaries.

My only worry is that this will make a difference - the biggest issue I face is fatigue. I sleep and sleep then nap in the day. It is like a wall.

If I can stay awake through the day and come off pain meds that will make my life 100 times better.

Wishing you all well for this upcoming week.
Unread 08-02-2020, 12:14 PM

mpclark... your story sounds much like mine, in the 'going to try lap' but switch course if needed to abdominal. I'm sure it will be the first question on my mind when I wake up. (That and did they keep at least one ovary?)

I know it's personal... but what did they ask you to do in bowel prep? My doc and nurses didn't give me any instructions for that. But I wondered if something should be done so there's no need to go for a few days. Especially since we know the dreaded constipation is coming from the pain killers.
Unread 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 02, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfulnoise777 View Post
mpclark... your story sounds much like mine, in the 'going to try lap' but switch course if needed to abdominal. I'm sure it will be the first question on my mind when I wake up. (That and did they keep at least one ovary?)

I know it's personal... but what did they ask you to do in bowel prep? My doc and nurses didn't give me any instructions for that. But I wondered if something should be done so there's no need to go for a few days. Especially since we know the dreaded constipation is coming from the pain killers.

Not every doctor requires a bowel prep so since yours hasn’t said anything yet you probably don’t have to do one — how lucky for you! For mine, I am on a clear liquid diet all day, and I had to take 2 dulcolax pills at 10 am, then at 1 pm mix together 64 ounces of Gatorade with 238 grams of Miralax. Then drink 8 ounces of that mixture every 15 minutes until it was gone (I just finished drinking the last glass!) I will take 2 more dulcolax pills at 5 pm. But don’t do this if you were not instructed to — it’s very important to only prepare the way your own doctor/nurse/their office told you to!

Good luck to you!! I hope they don’t have to do a full incision and that you get to keep your ovaries.
Unread 08-02-2020, 04:00 PM

mpclark... thanks for sharing. Don't worry I won't copy that. I was curious what they wanted though. I was already planning to just do a plain, normal enema. I did that before foot surgery too just so I don't have to spend a long time in the bathroom early on. I'd rather run somewhat empty than have to spend a long time in the bathroom during those early days. It worked very well that time too giving me about 3 days before I even needed to go. I want the same this time too. Especially since as we all hear the morphine etc can cause extra challenges.
Unread 08-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkirkman11 View Post
Tomorrow I’m having my hysterectomy. I’m 27 years old and have 3 kids. All of my pregnancies with my children were really bad and it has lead to really bad female issues. I have struggled for the past 4 years or so. I am excited about my surgery tomorrow because I am excited to feel better. I am having a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and hoping to remove Fallopian tubes, uterus, cervix but keep at least one ovary. My main sadness about tomorrow is since Covid-19 is so bad in our area that I have to go alone. I’m a little afraid and sad and anxious but excited to get this over with! I have to stay overnight but once I get settled in a room I can have one visitor. Either my husband will come if my kids are being good for my mother in law who graciously came to stay with them while I’m having this done or my mom will come. I’m excited about that at least. I hope you all do well with your surgeries!
Jkirkman11. I know that Covid is making having surgery hard without having the support of someone with you before you go to the OR ... I'm so glad they are allowing one visitor once you are back in your room. That is wonderful your MIL has come to help while you are in the hospital ... they will be good for her so your husband can come and be with you for a little bit.

on your surgery dear ... remember you are not alone.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register