Upcoming hysterectomy Thurs 13th Aug: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy Thurs 13th Aug: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all Upcoming hysterectomy Thurs 13th Aug: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all

Unread 08-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy Thurs 13th Aug: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all

Robotic hysterectomy coming up next week. My doctor said I will stay overnight, even with COVID. No visitors allowed in the hospital at all. Even though I will be in our Women's Center where L&D patients can have 1 visitor, I will be there alone. Admittedly, because I have never been an overnight patient (stayed with my mom when she was admitted), I am a little freaked out by that. I am trying to view it as a blessing of time to rest, but I also know when I woke from my laparoscopy 2 years ago, the first thing I asked for was my family.
Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Re: Hospital stay

It was the same policy at my hospital and I was terrified! I did not want to be there alone. But it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Honestly, wearing a mask the whole time was worse than being alone. Plus, you can always video call.

Talk to your recovery team! While visitors weren't allowed on the floor, they let me see my husband for like 5 minutes while I was waking up before I went to my room. It was super nice.

Everything is so crazy right now, but it will work out. I don't remember much because of all the drugs and anesthesia, but it was definitely my easiest hospital stay (I've had several).
Unread 08-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy Thurs 13th Aug: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all

Thanks! I totally understand why there are no visitors. Hopefully my BF can see me for a few minutes. They did say he could drop off a treat at the desk up front if i felt like having something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfk1227 View Post
It was the same policy at my hospital and I was terrified! I did not want to be there alone. But it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Honestly, wearing a mask the whole time was worse than being alone. Plus, you can always video call.

Talk to your recovery team! While visitors weren't allowed on the floor, they let me see my husband for like 5 minutes while I was waking up before I went to my room. It was super nice.

Everything is so crazy right now, but it will work out. I don't remember much because of all the drugs and anesthesia, but it was definitely my easiest hospital stay (I've had several).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2020, 07:45 PM

Hi UscBoro -

I know that this is a bit unsettling, but this restriction is pretty standard at most hospitals with the pandemic. Be sure you have your cell phone, and if you can video conference with it so much the better. Bring your charger, and you may want one with an extension cord.

Different places have different rules regarding BF. I know he is family to you, but sometimes unless you are married they will not consider him "family" and allow him up even for a few minutes.

You will be pretty tired from the surgery, and the nurses will be there. They know everyone is pining for their family.

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:53 PM

I wasn't allowed visitors either. My family (who had driven up from Florida to help me) dropped me off at the hospital, and I didn't see them for three days. It was supposed to be a laparascopic surgery and overnight stay, but because of complications, I ended up having a TAH and three-day stay. I was just too tired, weak, and run-down to think of video chat, although I did talk a bit with my boyfriend because my family got me flowers and they were trying to find a way to get them to my room.

Bring your electronics, long charging cables, and even a book to read.
Unread 08-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/13: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all

I am having laparoscopic vaginal on the 13th. Is it normal that I am going hone the same day unless there are complications?
Unread 08-08-2020, 10:32 AM

Everyone is different! Since my doc has seen my issues through laparocopy 2 years ago, he is pretty confident of what all he will have to do this time. I have also had a history of bladder issues, so it is just a precaution. Looks like we will be going through recovery together. I hope it goes well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1manley View Post
I am having laparoscopic vaginal on the 13th. Is it normal that I am going hone the same day unless there are complications?
Unread 08-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/13: Hospital stay concerns - no visitors allowed in the hospital at all

I was glad not to be able to have any visitors The time was totally mine, just for me. Visitors cam be exhausting.
Unread 08-08-2020, 07:00 PM

Thanks for your response. Glad not to be going through this alone
Unread 08-11-2020, 03:52 PM

I had my surgery last year so no limitations but I kept telling my boyfriend to not visit since I was so out of it afterwards and the first few hours were a tad uncomfortable. He came by briefly but I don't even remember it. My sister also visited that night and I kept passing out and waking up asking how she got there.

For me, I didn't even really notice they were there. Just make sure you have your phone and a charger. Once I was a little more awake, I just watched TV and studied the menu to give myself something to do I also posted in my recovery group on this site since I was one of the first of the week and I was excited to say all went well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register