Any hardcore workout/ weightlifters here? (2012) - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Work it Out - Fitness in Action

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any hardcore workout/ weightlifters here? (2012) Any hardcore workout/ weightlifters here? (2012)

Unread 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Re: Any hardcore workout/weightlifters here?

Teapea, please follow your doctor's instructions. As you are having A&P repairs, that makes it more important to do the right thing. I majored on walking, gradually increasing everyday - just rounds of my yard at first. I was surprised how hard it was to walk a block. I probably couldn't do it for about 2 weeks post-surgery. I started c25k at 7 weeks post op, but completed it in shorter than the time frame after taking the first couple of weeks pretty slowly. By 6 months I wasback to all normal activity, although still using lower weights than normal. I was very careful and had no pain or setbacks at any time.
I really think the key is don't rush it and listen to your body.
By the way, I was totally off all pain meds by day 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Ladies-
I was a hardcore worker outer before my surgery. Here is the time line I followed to get back at it (this was in consultation with my surgeon)

At week 8 I could walk on a treadmill for a half an hour (not to get my heart rate up)

Week 10 I started biking as I could tolerate it (but "no contact sports

Week 12 I started running again and lifting light upper body.

I wasn't cleared for lower body until week 16 and I had to start easy (50% of where I was pre op)

I ran a half marathon at 20 weeks post op

Keep at it ladies!
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Teapea - - I am hard core too. My resting heart rate is under 50. Working out 5 days a week burning 600-800 calories a day, eating clean.....I did NOT listen to my doctor and by week two was ready to go back to work, back to working out.....then I wound up back in the hospital internally bleeding (almost to death) because I was SO FIT, that my blood was too thin to clot! Listen to your doctor and take it slow. I couldn't begin to workout until week 8 after that - thus, setting myself back quite a bit. Even now, at week 12, I am still limited to what I can do - it is frustrating. Remember you need to keep the inside of you beautiful and fit - those internal muscles are just as important. You'll get back to your normal self in no time - 6 weeks in the grand scheme of things is nothing but a blip on the radar.

Hang in there! Be safe. We are thinking about you.
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Teapea - I echo all of these wonderful ladies...such wisdom. I was and am a hard core exerciser and was so very worried about being down. I also can't sit still and can barely make it through a movie. I'm just a busy person -always have to be doing something. It was an adjustment for me to slow down, but necessary. In the end, I followed my dr's instructions to the letter. Now, almost 12 weeks post-op, I feel great and am exercising 6 hours/week...planning on bumping up to 2-a-days in a week or so, and will start training for a half-marathon in a few weeks. The recovery "period" is seriously just a "blip" now. I realize how hard it is to see it that way before the surgery. Allow yourself to heal properly the first time and you'll have no regrets. (((HUGS))) It will be ok!!
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Hi ladies...not sure if you are all are still on this thread.

I had a TVH on Nov. 14th with a bladder sling. Due to the bladder sling, my recovery has been a bit different. I am 5 wks post and into week 6 and feel pretty darn good. Still get tired by the end of the day and still have some discomfort from where my bladder sling was put.

I am healthily addicted to exercise, but prefer the HIIT (high intensity interval training) stuff so I don't have to spend all day exercising. Prefer jullian michael tapes; I like to run (doing kind of interval); and mountain biking is my favorite (which is very much interval as you pedal hard up a hill then get to go down). I throw yoga in there everyonce in awhile. I used to spend longer in the gym and things but now that I have two young kids, time is of essence, so I learned that the HIIT is where it's at--30-50 min of HIIT is plenty to get good cardiovascular benefit and a good burn.

Of course after teh TVH and bladder sling, HIIT is NOT something I can 'jump' back into. BUT, for those of you who went through pregnancy, you know you can get your body back when it's time. That is why my mind has been at ease. AFTER having two kids, (and a history of playing college volleyball), I felt like I was in the best shape of my life and was the same weight as highschool....so it is possible, when your body is ready, to get it back. Don't push it too early in fear it will all be lost.....your body can gain muscle and fitness at ANY age!!!

Just remember to enjoy life as it comes, embrace a little downtime and slowly get back into things. I need to constantly remind myself of this; I was given the go ahead to do everything on this past wednesday, but am goign to play it safe....will continue elliptical and may start light weights today....will start mtn biking and running, weather permitting in the new year.

MERRY XMAS EVERYONE and never wish time away, enjoy!
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Great to "meet" you! You have a wonderful mindset! And yes, HIIT is where it's at. As a mom of 3 kiddos, I have definitely had to learn the art of efficiency and time management. Best wishes for continued smooth healing and Merry Christmas!
Unread 01-27-2021, 09:29 PM

Great thread and very helpful
Unread 02-21-2021, 10:01 PM

I am so glad I found this thread and you guys. I am 2 wks post op, dying to get back into gym. Wasn't planned needed done to due family history of ovarian cancer. So this thru me for a loop. I had been at gym 5 days a week for lastb30 days doing crossfit and I Miss it. Before that I jogged and worked out at home.

Other then walking right now what did you guys start back with lightly. I had the robo assisted
Unread 02-22-2021, 06:10 AM
Re: Any hardcore workout/ weightlifters here? (2012)

The key thing to remember is to not do anything your doctor hasn't cleared you for. Right now walking is likely it, and I stuck with that for 8 weeks, increasing time, distance and pace as I was able. One thing to keep in mind is that recovery is NOT like athletic training. You can't push through this to make you stronger or recovery faster - in fact, pushing ahead could tear your vaginal cuff or give you adhesions which could cause complications down the road.

I'm was a runner prior to surgery and found my workout preference for weights in Beach Body home workouts. Even so, once I was cleared for exercise my doctor emphasized getting back into activities gradually and listening to my body that I was overdoing it. I was cleared at 4 weeks (I kept my cervix) but continued walking as mentioned above.

At 8 weeks I tried interval running at a "shuffle" pace, and kept the intervals at 3 minutes walking and running. My weekly cardio-weight class I kept low-intensity (no hops or jumps) and slowed the tempo - I could "feel" bouncing, and moving too fast made me a bit seasick! By 12 weeks I was able to run at a normal gait (slower pace) and had resumed some intensity and a bit more weight-bearing in my class. Still couldn't do high-intensity core. In fact, I tried to ramp up the intensity of the short core routine at 5 months post-op, and within 30 minutes I was swelling and cramping as if I were still in the first 4 weeks of recovery!

I didn't quite get back into Beach Body with the intensity or frequency after surgery, but 2 years ago I discovered Body Pump and love group bar work! Our gym recently switched to Mossa Group Power, and while the moves vary a bit, the focus on a full body endurance / weight workout is similar. I tend to go heavy on the bar following Chalene Johnson's Beach Body advice of "Go heavy or go home!" I've also gotten into Combat / Group Fight in the last year, and between the two, I workout 4-5x a week, 60 minute group classes. Sometimes I through a Group Blast with a step into the mix. Between those, I've gotten away from running, but can usually run 2-3 miles on those occasions I do run outside.

When you get back into it, after you're cleared, don't dive into the deep end where you left off. Rather "under-do" than overdo and work your way back up. It won't take you as long to resume as starting from zero - your body has muscle memory. I know it seems like you're putting your life on hold forever, but 6-12 weeks of recovery is less than 3/10ths of ONE percent of your lifespan if you live into your 80s. Yeah, a blip on the radar.
Unread 06-22-2021, 11:38 PM
Any hardcore workout/ weightlifters here? (2012)

Thanks.... This is good info to use..
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnessfan View Post
I'm 6 weeks post-op today and was in THE best shape of my life prior to surgery. I ran (a lot) and lifted 3 days/week. I didn't lift massive volumes but it was an intense workout nonetheless...P90X stuff.

My doctor told me that I could ease back into my activities at 2 weeks. I really listened to my body and wasn't ready to do much beyond walking at 2 weeks. I started doing my strength workouts at 4 weeks like this:

lower body - no weights and much shallower squats/lunges, fewer reps than pre-surgery, floor exercises when possible, lots of breaks;

upper body - seated and very light weights, fewer reps and sets than before.

This week, I am lifting 50% of what I did pre-surgery and seeing how it goes (BUT I wasn't lifting massive quantities before)...definitely listening to my body. When I'm ready, I'll move up to 80% and start gradually adding reps/sets.

This is not the time to push myself and I'm focusing on "reminding" my muscles what they used to do. I have definitely lost muscle mass (was 18% body fat pre-op) but I do feel that being in great shape has helped my recovery tremendously. Also, I haven't done very much core-concentrated work...waiting to talk to my doc tomorrow. I am confident that I'll be back to my pre-op condition before I know it. I'm just allowing myself to be "in transition" right now.

Just listen to your body and go SLOW. I'm not saying that what I'm doing is what would work for everyone. Be patient; you'll find your rhythm. Good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register