Hysterectomy rescheduled to 6/6 due to anemia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy rescheduled to 6/6 due to anemia Hysterectomy rescheduled to 6/6 due to anemia

Unread 05-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Hysterectomy rescheduled to 6/6 due to anemia

I was scheduled for today, May 4th and was completely crushed a few weeks ago when my doctor did a blood test and my blood count was too low. I've had 3 iron infusions and I'm going for follow-up blood work next week. I've been turning over every rock trying to do research and realized the culprit could be absorbability. So I'm trying to find what combination of vitamins assist with iron absorption, if anyone has any tips.
I'm honestly so very overwhelmed and feel like I'm not getting the deep dive detailed conversations about all of this from my primary care doctor or my GYN. I asked my GYN about sex after and SHE seemed uncomfortable!! Like, lady, this is your job! I just joined the HysterSisters group and I'm so grateful I found you all. I just don't know where to begin. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Re: Hysterectomy rescheduled due to anemia

Hi khadaway04 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Having a hysterectomy is such an overwhelming experience. It is a very difficult surgery to process and digest. It truly is hard to know where to begin.

I am sorry your surgery was cancelled due to your anemia. But, it is important that you do not have this during your surgery so you can recover and heal. I was going to tell you to talk to your doctor about iron absorption issues, and surprised you are not getting help.

Sex after surgery is different for everyone - some say it is better, some say it is worse, and everywhere in between. I lost everything - uterus, cervix, both tubes, and both ovaries. For me, sex feels different. My orgasms are not as intense - I miss the muscle contraction of my uterus. But, they are more frequent, so go figure. We have to use lubricant and that frustrates me. DH cannot tell any difference.

Here are articles that may provide information:
10 Concerns about Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Will Sex Be Different after Hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy, Cervix, and Intimacy
Intimacy after Hysterectomy | Better or Worse?

Just know that you are not alone in this. Ask what questions you have, and we will try to answer them for you. Or just get on and express your emotions - it really does help. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Unread 05-05-2021, 04:23 AM
Hysterectomy rescheduled to 6/6 due to anemia

The iron in supplements and infusions is typically non-heme iron, similar to what's present in plant sources such as legumes and fortified grain products, which is not as well absorbed as heme iron found in animal sources such as lean beef or organ meats. To counteract this, your #1 choice is Vitamin C from foods like citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes. Also, if you use cast-iron cookware, adding an acidic liquid like tomato sauce or a splash of citrus juice will cause some of the iron to leach out into your food, providing another well-absorbed source. Equally important is to avoid eating foods that hinder iron absorption immediately after eating iron-rich foods or having an infusion; that includes phytates from cereals and grains, calcium from dairy products, and polyphenols from tea and coffee. Best wishes for getting your levels up quickly, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register