Ovaries - to keep or not to keep - what were you told? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > The Polling and Petition Place

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries - to keep or not to keep - what were you told? Ovaries - to keep or not to keep - what were you told?

Unread 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Re: Ovaries - to keep or not to keep

I had everything removed but one ovary. Everything was based on my Doctors recommendation. I had what was believed to be a cancerous tumor on one ovary. It was causing a lot of issues. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy and because of the perceived cancer risk my doctor suggested we remove everything except one ovary. Keeping the one ovary was intended for heart health. Cervix was removed because possibility of cervical cancer in the future. I did not get a second opinion because I felt 100% confident in my doctors recommendation. And my whole family works in healthcare and unanimously agreed my doctor was the best in the area for gynecological oncology. I’m not sure what another doctor would have recommended, but I have no regrets. The tumor ended up as having “pre cancerous” cells. Other than the surgery I did not need any other treatment. I can’t take hormones because of the pre cancerous situation. I have somewhat mild menopause symptoms which my doctor said is normal at this stage. The mild menopause symptoms are about a million times better than the symptoms caused from the tumor and heavy periods, so I’m grateful for the return of a normal life. I just had surgery in January so I don’t know what the future might hold, but given the opportunity I wouldn’t do anything differently. I am 41 and my only regret is not having the hysterectomy sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Ovaries - to keep or not to keep - what were you told?

if you are not in high risk of cancer I would agree to keep one ovary!
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:23 PM

My mom died from ovarian cancer in November 2016 so I was especially worried about keeping my ovaries. My dr literally examined them during my surgery and determined they were healthy and that there was no need to push me into menopause and a hormone regimen. So I lost my uterus, cervix an Fallopian tubes but kept the ovaries and I feel great (9 months post surgery)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Hope you're feeling on the mend. Hugs to you on your journey. I had a total hysterectomy over the summer. They removed my cervix, uterus, and Fallopian tubes. I also had a grade 3 prolapse, cystocele with bladder sling surgery, a vault suspension repair, a vaginal reconstruction and some external cosmetic work. At that time, my surgeon recommended keeping my ovaries. He did a visual inspection to see if there were any abnormalities. He said if he saw anything abnormal he would take them out. He did not recommend taking mine out without reason. I'm 37 years old and I'm feeling great after my surgery. Best wishes to you on your journey!
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:52 PM

I saw two Drs and they both said pretty much the same thing ...they left my two ovaries because of my age and my cervix because it’s attached to my bladder..but they removed everything else...
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:53 PM

My love, I think you made the best decision for YOU. Please try not to overthink your decision and your journey/process. Be kind to yourself through healing and beyond because your frame of mind is paramount for healing.

I had ovaries and uterus removed. Cervix was kept only because the bowel was fused to it and the doctors did not think it was best for them to tamper with things. I'm being told to live with the situation as is, but I know I have to do some research...daunting.

Some weight gain, chronic constipation, struggling to feel sexy when I look at my naked self.....I could go on with the negatives but I can't afford to. I will say though that there is a flip side to the negatives. And I made THE decision and I have to be happy with that decision. I have to be at peace.

Love and light
xoxox
Unread 04-24-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieDragonfly View Post
My love, I think you made the best decision for YOU. Please try not to overthink your decision and your journey/process. Be kind to yourself through healing and beyond because your frame of mind is paramount for healing.

I had ovaries and uterus removed. Cervix was kept only because the bowel was fused to it and the doctors did not think it was best for them to tamper with things. I'm being told to live with the situation as is, but I know I have to do some research...daunting.

Some weight gain, chronic constipation, struggling to feel sexy when I look at my naked self.....I could go on with the negatives but I can't afford to. I will say though that there is a flip side to the negatives. And I made THE decision and I have to be happy with that decision. I have to be at peace.

Love and light
xoxox
To you i thank you for the encouragement .i.must challenge deceptive guidance with integrity
Unread 04-24-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidelisa View Post
Hi, I am curious to know what other doctors have recommended and what you all decided to do with your ovaries. My gym wanted to do an open incision total hysterectomy including both ovaries to prevent ovarian cancer . I got a second opinion from a doctor who was able to use SILS (single incision laparoscopic surgery) and suggested leaving one ovary for heart health. My friend who is an Accupuncturist likes that choice. I saw Barbara Streisand on Dr. Oz (I just had surgery this week so I am watching a lot of tv!) that more women die from heart disease than all cancers combined!
I did keep one ovary and hope that was the best choice. What were you told? I guess that everyone is different and there is no one right answer, it’s hard to know what the best choice is.
If I could go back & add an ovary back in I would. I was very happy to have had surgery my when I did. But after finishing menopause, I had the usual skin issues & of course the mood swings as the hormone levels dropped. I am high risk for heart disease so did not get to continue the hormone pills that i took for thr first 5 yrs which did help. I have talked to a couple of Dr's since then they all said the same thing....that with one ovary I could have lessened the hormonal side effects. I had a choice but did not really have all the facts or knew the right questions to ask. Other wise it was the best decision I made in my Healthcare.
Unread 04-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Hi all
Well, i had 1ovary removed along with the fallopian tube and a cantaloupe sized cyst when i was 19. I was fine and then last year i finally had my hysterectomy at age 38. I had 2 chocolate cysts on my last ovary, heavy heavy bleeding from fibroids and came up positive for ovarian cancer but my surgeon never once suggested removing it. She was very experienced with surgeries for endometriosis and assured me she could clean it up and the tests were saying cancer due to the cysts. Happy to say indeed i was negative for cancer post surgery and kept my last ovary! I did have a few crazy night sweats after surgery but now i am all normal. Hope all goes well for you also!
Unread 04-24-2018, 07:19 PM

Hello! I had my hysterectomy over 5 years ago. My mom’s mom died of breast cancer, my mom had ovarian cancer (she is still with us). I was very concerned about my ovaries as well. I had the hysterectomy due to my painful cramps during my cycles. I also have the Factor 5. This is a gene that causes blood clots. Knowing I would not be able to be on any hormonal drugs after going into menopause if I were to remove my ovaries was a hard decision. So I was in the fence and my doctor told me to keep my ovaries. You’re going to be better off with your ovaries or one because you won’t go into menopause right away. I hope that helps.

Hi, I am curious to know what other doctors have recommended and what you all decided to do with your ovaries. My gym wanted to do an open incision total hysterectomy including both ovaries to prevent ovarian cancer . I got a second opinion from a doctor who was able to use SILS (single incision laparoscopic surgery) and suggested leaving one ovary for heart health. My friend who is an Accupuncturist likes that choice. I saw Barbara Streisand on Dr. Oz (I just had surgery this week so I am watching a lot of tv!) that more women die from heart disease than all cancers combined!
I did keep one ovary and hope that was the best choice. What were you told? I guess that everyone is different and there is no one right answer, it’s hard to know what the best choice is.[/quote]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register