Awful thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Awful thoughts Awful thoughts

Unread 03-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Awful thoughts

HI everyone, lately I have been having these awful thoughts. I'm trying to imagine my family God forbid I didn't make it through the surgery. In my mind I am evaluating my DH, wondering what he would do with the kids while he had to work, who would be their mother figure, if my DH would marry again right away, wondering if he would be able to sue the hospital for something going wrong......as you can tell I have officially lost my mind!
Why am I thinking this? I know chances are sooooooooooo slim of anything going REALLY wrong so why do I have these thoughts of what things would be like without me being around??? Please tell me someone else has had these...if not I am making an appointment with a counselor...lmao.
Maybe this is a selfish thought....like in my mind I think my family would collapse without me. I know my DH is wonderful but I guess deep down somewhere in my warped brain, it scares me to think I won't be able to have an impact on my kids lives.
Someone just slap me!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Awful thoughts

Hi Patti,

Bless your heart that is a worry I think a lot of us have I did, in fact when I had to say good bye to my SO when being taken off I thought oh my what if its the last time I see him, It's just my opinion but I think with any surgery people worry about that, however I made it out just fine I did ask to be put out quickly so I would stop worrying and it helped my thoughts are with you please take care I am praying for you..
Unread 03-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Awful thoughts

You are normal. You can go talk to someone if you need to. It can help. Bookfairy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Thank you sammie!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I was really beginning to think I was losing my mind. I know for sure that if something happened to me, my DH would have things taken care of. Maybe its because he is out of town so much and I handle 99 % of everything that goes on here. I can be a little bit of a control freak sometimes and I am hoping after the surgery and I am in a much better mood that it will go away. Just knowing that the other sisters have had these thought makes me not feel so along. I expressed these feelings to my DH last night. Of course, you know how men can be. he just laughed and said "you are so crazy, you're gonna be fine". Well, needlesstosay, that didn't help AT ALL! lol. Thank Goodness for Hyster Sisters
Unread 03-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Awful thoughts

I'll be having my surgery in a little over a week now. I must admit I've had some of the same feelings. I think that's normal as long as it doesn't become an obssession. Talk to you DH about how you feel. Let him hold you and reassure you.

Good Luck!

Marie
Unread 03-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Awful thoughts

I've been having the same thoughts, my DH also laughed and said that I'm just hormonal. But I really believe that this is normal, I mean the chances are so slim, but they do exist. Pray, hold faith, and smile, we are almost there. Once this is over, we can move onto the next thing to worry about.
Unread 03-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Awful thoughts

Hi, this is completely normal! I am a clinical psychologist so I can say this with impunity.

the problem we all have is this long waiting time. if we got sick had an emergency surgery we would not be going through this.

anyway, the chances of dying are incredibly incredibly low. hugs, nancie
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:15 AM
HUGS :)

Thanks to all of you who responded. I must say I do feel 1oo times better knwoing others have had these feelings and that I am not CRAZY! I thought maybe my feelings were a sign that something bad was gonna happen. When this is over I will be the happiest woman in the world. Even some of us who never had anxiety symptoms before, (which I have always had), are now feeling some. I'm glad I'm normal. Prayers to all of you who have your surgeries coming up. My pre op is tomorrow and I think once that is over I will have more reassurance and be ready to tackle this like all of the other sisters who have now " crossed over ".
Love to all
Unread 03-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Awful thoughts

Oh My we are at the same point! I have all these weird thoughts and dreams. I am truly scared to death and this kind of crap makes it worse. I just wish we could turn our imagination off! I wonder if anti anxiety treatment would help? Herbal Teas anything? Do you have any suggestions?

Amy
Unread 03-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Awful thoughts

You are certainly not alone. I had a lot of the same thoughts and fears before my surgery. A couple of days before my surgery I sent out an email to everyone on my email list and asked them to pray for me. I really truly felt prayers being prayed on my behalf. I felt a real peace that I know didn't come from me, before having my surgery. My first night in the hospital after the surgery, I kept waking up thinking crazy things (morphine!) and usually I would think, "Oh no... I have to have surgery tomorrow!" and then it would occur to me that I had already had it. Let me tell you- I was a happy woman that entire night as I began to realize that it was finally OVER! It made all of the subsequent aches and pains worth it as I kept thinking, "it can only get better from here! The worst is behind me!" But I think those thoughts are normal because of the long wait most of us usually have before the surgery. I believe the waiting may be the worst part of it!! Blessings all around!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register