Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: 3 sleeps till uterus eviction | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: 3 sleeps till uterus eviction Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: 3 sleeps till uterus eviction

Unread 11-06-2018, 02:23 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: 3 sleeps till uterus eviction

Hi guys.
3 sleeps till the big day, I have been ridiculously nervous to the point I’ve almost cancelled it numerous times even though I know it’s the best option for my quality of life.
So this Friday (Australia time) I’m have a da Vinci assisted hysterectomy taking tubes, uterus and cervix. Keeping ovaries but they are going to try remove any present cysts on them. I am 37 years old and have 3 children!
So I’m down to the wire and doing all those last minute things. I’m heading shopping in the morning to get some flowing nighties for hospital and I’ve been told that I may want to get some dresses a size to big due to swelling?? Can anyone confirm this please? Also underwear will I be ok with my normal stuff or do I need to buy something specific?
I’m so worried about the lead up to the operation once I arrive at the hospital I think I’ll be a mess once I get there.
House is almost finished a deep clean and hubby has taken 3 weeks off to do the driving around, get kids to school and home etc etc.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh I’m so scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: 3 sleeps till uterus eviction

Carlzy, to Hystersisters!
Swelly Belly has been a common part of the recovery journey for many sisters. It's a normal part of the healing process, similar to what happens when you sprain your ankle; the tissues inside your belly have been traumatized, and your body responds by sending in extra blood flow, inflammatory chemicals, and immune cells to help them to heal. My wardrobe selections for this included loose fitting dresses, peasant skirts, yoga pants, and an old, stretched-out pair of pajama bottoms. As for underwear, my surgery was laparoscopic, which is like the daVinci, but without the robot, and I chose bikini panties - in white, of course - which sat under my incisions; other sisters have chosen granny panties, 1-2 sizes larger to accommodate the swelling, so it all boils down to choosing what would make you most comfortable. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Hi,
I also had the divinci robotic surgery and for the first few days after surgery I actually wore the disposable incontinence panties they recently came out with. They were nice because they came up over my incisions had a built in pad that wouldn't slide around and I could just rip the side to take them off without bending. By the second week I could wear my regular low cut underwear which didn't bother my incisions or swelly belly. My surgery was in spring, so I wore mostly sundresses with a light sweater which was most comfortable for me. Stretch pants also came in handy, just be sure they come up over your incisions so the elastic band doesn't irritate them. Good luck with everything and wishing you a speedy recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2018, 06:58 PM

I'm on the 9th too, and SO nervous - I can't wait for them to drug me so I calm down lol.
I had a cholecystectomy a couple years ago and I just remember the gas pain. But once I was home it was ibuprofen and that was all. Same with my cesarean. We shall see with this one since I understand it can be more intense. But I feel better prepared since this isn't my first surgery.
I'll be thinking of you! You got this. WE got this See you on the recovery thread!
Unread 11-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/9: 3 sleeps till uterus eviction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninapdoula View Post
I'm on the 9th too, and SO nervous - I can't wait for them to drug me so I calm down lol.
I had a cholecystectomy a couple years ago and I just remember the gas pain. But once I was home it was ibuprofen and that was all. Same with my cesarean. We shall see with this one since I understand it can be more intense. But I feel better prepared since this isn't my first surgery.
I'll be thinking of you! You got this. WE got this See you on the recovery thread!
My GP assured me there would be plenty of drugs for calming lol I’m actually a little worried about how bad I will be that morning, probably a complete mess.
I have not had a surgery in over 20 years and all my kids were delivered vaginally. I get nervous having a blood test so I’m really freaking out.
I’ll be thinking of you as well and look forward to catching you in the recovery thread
Unread 11-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Hi Carlzy -

The clothing selection is really a personal decision. I had a TAH BSO (total abdominal hysterectomy with both tubes and ovaries removed) with a 6-inch vertical incision. I was given mesh panties in the hospital (I stayed for 3 1/2 days). I found them uncomfortable, and changed to my normal underwear when I got home - french cut briefs. I did not buy any special underwear.

For clothing, I wore sweat pants with elastic waist band and t-shirts. Some women like sun dresses, and others like yoga pants. The key is loose fitting and comfortable. The rest is up to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register