I cancelled my surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I cancelled my surgery! I cancelled my surgery!

Unread 07-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

YEP you heard right---my surgery was to be yesterday and last Friday I called and cancelled. I read and read and I panicked. So of course today I am regretting my choice because I am about to start my PERIOD----again. I just had a period about 2 weeks ago. SO tomorrow morning I am calling the doc and rescheduling for next week. I called my supervisor at home and asked if she would be angry, she had already fixed the schedule with me off and then back on---she says no. SO I am not reading any more---just gona do it!!!

Take care
GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

Hi Ganurse97,
I wish you all the best. At least your honest enough to say you panicked and I don't think your alone in thinking about cancelling the only difference was you did it. It is a very scary decision to delve into the unknown and always second guess yourself but obviouly you weren't ready to make the decision before and you are now. I hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Keep positive............Karen
Unread 07-07-2005, 08:34 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

Dear GA,
Some people find peace in being well-informed, and some people prefer "ignorance is bliss." In most cases, I prefer to know nothing, but with medical stuff, I'm the direct opposite. You sound like you are happier not knowing so you don't stress unnecessarily ahead of time. I am one week post-op today, and I can assure you that you will NOT regret having surgery. Here I sit with a cut across my sore swelly-belly, and I can still honestly say this is one of the best things I've ever done! Take care!
Rene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

Dear GA: You are not alone. I cancelled my surgery once also, a few years ago. Now, here I am again, facing it on August 17. I feel weird that I'm so scared, because my doctor, (who is beyond great) still have a bit more "cavalier" attitude than I prefer or can deal with, but I know it does this every week, and has for 30 years and he can't possibly see my side of it even if he tried. Besides, he's a man, whose never had a hysterectomy, so what else can I say?

I told my doctor years back, (not the same doctor as now) that I was EXTREMELY nervous and asked for something to calm me until after the surgery. He refused, and even said, "for Heaven's sake, just get a grip!) On the day I was to be admitted, for some reason, my back just spaszed out! I could not even get up out of the floor! I was on muscle relaxers for 3 days just to exist. He later apologized and said he should have taken me more serious!

I am going to pray for me and you both that we will find the courage to accept this surgery and to go into it with peace. That is what I want. I know God will give it to us if we ask. I will also pray for your quick recovery and mine too. I don't have a choice anymore, I have a suspicious ovary and the family history of ovarian cancer. So, I'm having a TAH with removal of ovaries.
Please keep me informed of your surgery and recovery when you get home. I need a "castle" buddy.
Karen in Tennessee
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:41 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

Hi GA,

Remember too that most of the stuff you read is skewed to the negative - people that are having problems tend to post/write more. Many, many women get the surgery done and get on with their lives just fine and don't post much.

I don't mean to say that risks are not real, or that there are not bumps in even the smoothest recovery, but the odds are that you will be fine. Nothing in life in guarenteed, you just have to make the best decision based on what you know now and run with it.

Check out this thead for some positive stories: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...0&pagenumber=1

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Debbie
Unread 07-08-2005, 03:57 AM
I cancelled my surgery!

Thanks everyone, I suppose being a nurse---ob/gyn for several yrs---doesnt help. I do mostly hear the bad stories. From how much weight I will gain to how I will never want sex again. Which is scarey because I am not married but one do would like to remarry.

The office opens at eight and I call and see where next week I can get a slot. AT work I will tell everyone yes I am having surgery but I dont want to discuss it any further. My nerves cant handle it.

GA
Unread 07-08-2005, 04:38 AM
I cancelled my surgery!

Hi Again,
I'm almost 5 months post op and I've been blessed with a quick and speedy recovery although it appears I may have adhesions with my bowel. My hubby these days has trouble believing my libido. I've gone from zip to every ready. So while yes we all need to know that surgery can bring with it problems not everyone has them. It has been a great decision for me. I have my life back! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Stay positive................Karen
Unread 07-08-2005, 05:57 AM
I cancelled my surgery!

Good morning to a fellow Georgia Peach!
Girl, so what, you cancelled your surgery. This is YOUR show. I'm so glad we've found this web-site, arent' you? It keeps me from forcing everyone I know to deal with my obsessing about this life changing event. (duh).
Depending on which side I ovulate from, determines what kind of month I have. Last month, it was SO bad, I was going to do the surgery myself with a spoon and a butter knife. (My Dr. said he'd lend me his text books.) This month, my ovulation was on the "good" side so I was thinking to myself, "Am I being too drastic, maybe there are alternatives." So, I had a chat with my Dr. & here's what he said. . .
"Let's say you have 3 bad days a month (he knows it's more like 10 for me). Now, add that up for about the next 20 years, with an excellent chance that it will get worse as time goes on. Now, trade that in for about 6 months of recovery, then nothing. This will change your life."
For me, that did it. Now, I've handled this for about 25 years, and can handle it from now on if I wanted to. But, as freaked out as I am about major surgery, I am so looking forward to this.
Please know I am not trying to talk you in to the surgery, it was just the pro/con way I made my final decision.
You take your time, and take care of yourself, and I wish you God's RICHEST blessings! Let us know what happens!
Rosa
Your Sister Georgia Peach
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

I would like to give you a little encouragement. It took me several years to agree to a hysterectomy... my gyno mentioned it and then said he'd wait till I was completely ready. Well this year I decided I had had it with the pain, heavy bleeding, clotting, pelvic pressure and peeing every hour. On May 3rd I had a TVH. I can honestly say it was not "bad" at all. I had no pain afterwards and healed very quickly. I returned to work in two short weeks and have felt better now than I have in years. No problem in sex department either.... If you're not "totally ready" it's okay.
Beams
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I cancelled my surgery!

I had my surgery on June 30. I was scared to death to get it done, I hate the sight of blood and normally pass out when I see it. But my doctor sat me down and had a nice long talk with me about the different ways it could be done. I could either have the "bikini cut" or they could do the little incision under the belly button for the scope, make sure it's not cancer, and then take it out vaginally. I opted to take it out vaginally, it's less painful. And as for post-op, the thing that hurt me the worse was the gas. Now that everything seems to be airing out ok, I feel fine. I still have to take the painkillers, but i'm not in any ungodly pain, and everything else seems to be going smoothly.
I hope the best for you, i'm seriously glad I got mine done, and i'm the biggest wussy you could ever meet, that poor nurse who had to give me the I.V got an earful on how scared I was, but as long as you have a good nurse, who numbs your arm before they put in the I.V. and a lot of help for afterwards, you should be a ok.

My prayers are with you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register