New to the site. Question about Da Vinci procedure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to the site.  Question about Da Vinci procedure New to the site. Question about Da Vinci procedure

Unread 07-28-2015, 06:51 AM
New to the site. Question about Da Vinci procedure

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the site and have to say I am so grateful to have found it! What wonderful information and support. Here's a bit about me. I just turned 47 last week. I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and possible adenomyosis. Doctor is suggesting a hysterectomy using the Da Vinci procedure. From reading about this procedure, it sounds like the way to go. My question is to those of you who have been through this procedure. Here is my dilemma. My doctor can do the procedure on October 6th. I'm supposed to leave on October 28th for a week vacation in New York (5 hour plane ride from California). My doctor feels that I should be fine to go on the trip and should be healed enough to enjoy it. To those of you who have been through the Da Vinci procedure, would you recommend scheduling the procedure that close to vacation? I know that everyone is different and my results may not be the same, but wanted to get other's opinions if I should do it on this date or wait until I get back. The issue with waiting is that my symptoms seem to be getting worse each month and I'd like to get it done sooner than later. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Re: New to the site. Question about Da Vinci procedure

What is that about 3 weeks from surgery to vacation? It's doable but I don't know how much you will enjoy your vacation. You will probably still has soreness but the main thing is that you will probably be really tired. If it is all possible to push back your vacation a few weeks I think you would enjoy it more.

But, that's just my opinion and I'm older than you. Also, don't forget that your lifting restrictions will still be in place. Hope all turns out well whatever you decide.
Unread 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM

I'm at day 5 post DaVinci and at this point can't imagine being able to do a vacation in 2 more weeks. I waited a long time to get my procedure, and I was really anemic and in chronic pain by the time I got to do it. I think you should push back either vacation or the procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
New to the site. Question about Da Vinci procedure

I'm 12 days post-op from davinci and I can't imagine getting ready to travel at this point. For many women, it seems recovery is a bit more taxing than we thought it would be. Still tire easily, getting more swollen with increased activity, etc. I would say to schedule it for a time when you can truly rest afterwards. Just my thoughts! Healing properly is so important... It's good you are asking questions
Unread 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Thank you so much for your responses. My initial thought was that there was no way I would be ready for a trip that close to the surgery and getting information from those of you that have been through it reassures me that waiting is the right thing to do. My husband is running the New York Marathon so unfortunately we can't postpone the trip. Hopefully the doctor can get me in soon after we return home. This is a once in a lifetime thing for him so I'll take my "happy" pills and cheer him on. Take care everyone!
Unread 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Week three is when the other swelling was going down, then the vaginal swelling started bothering me. We call it ''tampon stuck in the vagina' feeling. For me that lasted for a few weeks. After doing pelvic floor exercises to no avail, I found out that it had gone from swelling to vaginal dryness/atrophy due to no estrogen. Also, week 3 is when low back pain showed up again from the position. At week 4 I could not imagine sitting for 5 hour airplane ride.

Maybe he can schedule it after your trip but keep you on the waiting list for an earlier one - possibly in early September. Won't hurt to ask.
Unread 07-28-2015, 12:42 PM

I did not have the daVinci. But I had LAVH which is very similar. Personally, no, I could not have gone on that type of vacation 3 weeks after surgery. Sorry.
Unread 07-28-2015, 03:24 PM

I know you've made the decision to hold off on your surgery,and that's probably the safest bet. You can't predict how your recovery will go, unfortunately. I think I would have been ok, but worried about long stretches of standing or walking. I was set to return to work at 3 weeks but took one more week due to unexpected surgery for hubby. I felt fine at 3 weeks, but even better at 4 weeks--and still very tired after my first couple days of work. Any chance to have the surgery a few weeks sooner?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register