new here and worried! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here and worried! new here and worried!

Unread 03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
new here and worried!

Hi Im new here, I think its so wonderful that i was able to find support like this.
I am having my surgery April 8th and im scard to death shhhh dont tell anyone lol
If anyone has any advice before I go please let me know, any support would be great right now !
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 01:07 PM
new here and worried!

Hi!
I'm new here too! Only I'll have to wait a little (okay alot) longer than you for my day. From what I understand so far is that waiting is the worst part of all of this! So, shhhhhhhhhh and don't tell that I'm a bit freaked out by all of this too and overwhelmed trying to educate myself to make the right choices.

Take care!
Unread 03-22-2004, 01:10 PM
new here and worried!

I am having my hyst April 8 as well! Not scared, just a little overwhelmed with all that I want to get done beforehand (housecleaning, work projects).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 01:14 PM
new here and worried!

Hi ladies, I just want to wish you all the best of luck on your surgeries. The WORST part is the waiting. Once you get thru that, it's lots easier. Oh and a word of advice my GYN gave me. Two days prior to surgery, give yourself a good 'clean out', and eat light and lots of fluid foods for 24 hours. Helps with the gas afterwards.

We'll be waiting for you on the other side ladies!!!
Unread 03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
new here and worried!

Welcome to HysterSisters! There is tons of information, advice, support, and s when you need them.

Be sure to check out the PreOp Hints and Articles (click here) PostOp Articles (click here) and Princess Stories (click here) for information and answers to help you get ready for surgery and what to expect after surgery. There is also an awesome resource link directory you can get to by clicking here or click Resources at the top of each page.

A note on bowel prep (cleaning out) ONLY do what your own DR instructs you to do. Not all DR's have their patients do it, and it is hard on the system and can cause you to be dehydrated. There has even been one instance of a lady here who decided to do the bowel prep although she was told not to, and went into dehydration shock and wound up in intensive care, a very sick lady.

And you'll find that some ladies will have more gas than others after surgery, and it makes no difference if they did or didn't have to do bowel prep.

Waiting is the hardest . . . or is it?? A discussion
Unread 03-22-2004, 01:35 PM
new here and worried!

It reall does get better, and yes the waiting is the hardest part. Recovery may be a little trying at times but follow the docs instructions FULLY. I didnt at first and it only made it worse and took longer to recover. I will pray for your recovery and hope that all goes well for all the in coming laies in waiting!
Unread 03-22-2004, 02:39 PM
new here and worried!

Hi y'all.

I found this site two days and my inital "discussion" with my doctor and it has helped sooo much. Besides the good advice and information, it's a place that I can come and talk about my surgery as much as I want to. Nobody gets those glazed over eyes or impatient looks. I mean, my DH and my friends are willing to listen to my stuff alot, but nobody really wants to hear about it as much as it is swirling around in my head. So I come to this site and read or respond and I feel better. It has really helped reduce the fear and anxiety that I feel. My surgery is on April 21st unless they postpone it for bladder "issues". I'm hoping that they don't, I just want to move ahead and get to the other side like so many have talked about.
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:41 PM
new here and worried!

I'm also new here. I have an abdominal hysterectomy scheduled for 4/20 at 7:30 a.m. Also a possible ovary removal (right one causes a lot of pain). My pre-op appts. are 4/9 and since I've been reading this site, I've been able to come up with a lot of questions to ask my doctor at the pre-op appt. I'm also a little too obsessed with what's coming, worries about my family, not sleeping at night, etc. I tried talking to my family (husband and two kids - 18 and 14) to set up menus (at least for dinner) for the first few weeks. Here's what they came up with: slim fast for DH, cookie dough for daughter, and corn dogs for son. I'm looking into frozen meals they can cook without having to resort to eating out or frozen dinners all the time. Once I get in bed at night, I have so many thoughts swirling around that I can't sleep. I'm trying to learn to relax as I know I'm only going to be worse the few days before the surgery.
Unread 03-22-2004, 04:22 PM
welcome!

I just want to say hi and welcome to all the new girls! I remember when I was new I received such a warm welcome , it was incredible. I had my pre op appt today for my LAVH surgery on Thursday. I feel alot better! My nerves have been awful...just ask ANY of the sisters...they know me well...lol. BUt after speaking to the nurses today I realized I am in great care and I will come out of this just fine. I have been waiting for a while too...since Jan 6 when it was recommended. What a long wait! But if you keep busy and keep reading these posts, you will notice the time going by faster and faster. PLus alot of great info along the way. The girls here are wonderful, all ages, from all over the place!
Let us know when something is on your mind or ya just need someone to talk to !!! We are all looking forward to getting to know ya.
Unread 03-23-2004, 06:51 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me in. this site is wonderful I dont feel so alone lol
I think my biggest worry is getting back to normal when its over - I have had surgery before and remember it all too well, and this time will be a bit more of a bigger deal.

what activities do everyone do to help them become stronger say before and after surgery. I know to be careful after and not to over due it but there has to be something that will help the healing process. I work at home as well as a grocery store- which is very demanding and 8 hours on the feet. Sad to say I called in sick today i just feel too weak to go in :-(

Another question - what activities did everyone do to keep busy and sititng while healing lol reading and movies sound good but that can only last so long
Help lol

thank you! you are all so great - I live with my husband and son and its nice to talk to women lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register