questions about acrylic nails and tummy tuck w/LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions about acrylic nails and tummy tuck w/LAVH questions about acrylic nails and tummy tuck w/LAVH

Unread 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM
questions about acrylic nails and tummy tuck w/LAVH

I know these seem like silly questions but I am concerned about them. Do you have to have your acrylic nails off before surgery? My doc didn't say anything about it. Also, I am scheduled for a LAVH on May 14th and I know that they have to put gas in my abdomen. My tummy is so tight because of my tummy tuck (1988) that I worry it won't expand like it should. Has anyone had this procedure that has had a tummy tuck??
Thanks
Leesa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM

I used to have porcelain nails....back before everyone did it. Anyway, I had emergency surgery and there was no issue with them, even though I had on polish.

Check with your Dr. and the hospital. The issue is with seeing you nailbeds. They will indicate if there are problems with your health, while surgery is being done.
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the reply. I was just in Portland last week. I love that place!! ( : I am also having my hysterectomy mainly due to fibroids. What type did you have? How are you now?
Leesa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsleesa
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the reply. I was just in Portland last week. I love that place!! ( : I am also having my hysterectomy mainly due to fibroids. What type did you have? How are you now?
Leesa
Happy to hear that you had a great time here.

I had LSH. I am doing great. So happy to have had this surgery. Trust me, I am doing so much better now.

The entire process went well for me. I had moments of being really nervous, to moments of total calm. LOL! I can verify what others have said on these boards.....waiting is the worst part. Once the wait is over, it goes so much smoother.

I checked in to the hospital at 7AM on a Monday. I was put into a pre-op room around 7:30 and turned on the TV to watch the morning news. I had to laugh as they traffic reporter kept talking about "a slowdown on I-84 at Providence" which is the hospital I was in. It sits right next to the freeway. So, I was watching the traffic snarl that was literally outside my window. LOL!

By 9AM, I was in the OR. 11AM I woke up in recovery...by noon I was in my room. They took me for a CAT scan at 12:30 as my Dr saw something on my liver (turned out to be a benign cyst). I was snacking on a cheese and cracker plate by 3 and up and walking (and peeing) by 4PM.

I could have left that day, but chose (ahead of time), to stay overnight. That was okay, but I wish I would have had earplugs with me. There were only two of us in my wing, but the lady across the hall was older and hard of hearing, so she yelled all night as she talked on her phone. LOL!

My Dr. checked on me around 8:30 AM the next day and told me to stay through lunch. She told me that I cold stay another night if I wanted to (she'd make sure it was paid) or I could go home after lunch. She told me to have lunch as my insurance was being billed for it if I ate it or not. So I stayed. LOL!

I was home my 2:30 PM. The worst part of the entire ordeal was trying to get into my own bed for the first time. It takes a moment to figure out the best way to position yourself. Once you do, it's all cool!

Which type of surgery are you scheduled to have?
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:32 PM

Hi Kathy,
Wow! Thanks for all the details and info. It really helps. I have such an array of emotions right now. Nervous, excited, scared, happy, sad....You name it, I have it! I am scheduled for a LAVH, keeping my ovaries. I was really hoping to have an epidural with sedation versus general but I don't know if it's going to work out that way or not. I am in so much pain right this moment that I am very confident that I have made the right decision. I have lot's of fibroids with a retroverted uterus that is ALSO tilted backwards and pressing right into my lower spine.

It's so good to hear that you are feeling great and happy with your decision. Thanks again for the reply. ( :
Leesa
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Hi Leesa!

I can not imagine being awake for surgery. I was very happy to be "out" although I was nervous about that until I was out. LOL!

It sounds as if you are in the right place. I felt that way too. I had decided where I wanted to be and it was the right choice.

You are coming right up to your surgery date. I remember how I felt at that point, nervous, yet ready.

You'll do great!
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Check with your hospital on the policy.

I did not find out until my pre-op appointment, but they wanted acrylic nails removed... even with a french manicure. They said an issue with acrylics is that they also harbor germs in the nooks and crannys. No nail polish, not even clear. No lotion on my abdomen. No make up, etc.

Basically, the want you "au naturel." Freshly showered without anything else done.

edited to add: they also want them removed for the finger pulse; the acrylics and nail polish can get in the way of the monitor.
Unread 05-10-2008, 10:32 PM

i really don't want to take off my acrylics - started wearing them in 1991 and haven't had them off ever since! i even had carpal tunnel surgery and no one said anything about them - except what a nice pop of color they added to the HUGE bandages on my hands! i have my scheduled 'fills' the day before my pre-op ... hmmmmm ... i might have to pout!
Unread 05-10-2008, 10:48 PM

It may be a personal issue with every hospital. I just had my TVH on April 22nd and I kept my acrylics on!! I have a french manicure--that's all I wear! Good luck--Hope you are able to keep 'em on. I'd ask.
Best wishes.

~MusicLvr~
Unread 05-10-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy no more!
i really don't want to take off my acrylics - started wearing them in 1991 and haven't had them off ever since! i even had carpal tunnel surgery and no one said anything about them - except what a nice pop of color they added to the HUGE bandages on my hands! i have my scheduled 'fills' the day before my pre-op ... hmmmmm ... i might have to pout!
Oh, I had you beat! I have my first porcelain nails put on when I was 18, in 1977......finally removed them in 2002. Mine were very long.....think Cher in the 1970's. Once I took them off, my own nails staid just as long....now they are shorter, but still longer than most people, and natural.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register