TVH, epidural vs general anesthesa | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH, epidural vs general anesthesa TVH, epidural vs general anesthesa

Unread 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
TVH, epidural vs general anesthesa

Ok, so I had pre-op today. My doctor said I have the option of having the surgery with an epidural vs. general anesthesia. I don't especially relish the idea of being trussed up and AWAKE while my insides are brought outside, but should I reconsider?

Anyone had this done with epidural? I'm creeped out but curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Hi Neonjellyfish

I had TVH under general anethesia and woke up 30 seconds later in recovery (or it seemed that way to ME, haha).

I had epidural & some "twilight" medication for a D&C long ago... I distinctly remember things about being in the OR, the lights, the music, the chatter, etc., but it seemed like it was happening to someone else.

My own preference is the general... I am sure others will be along to weigh in soon
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:14 AM

Personally speaking, I would never want to be awake for any kind of surgery. Especially a hysterectomy! Knock me out, put me in la la land, wake me when it's over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Yeah, I really don't feel the need to remember any of this...but then I wondered if I was being hasty. I know there are risks with general anesthesia, but it just seems almost barbaric to be awake while a room full of doctors remove your insides. I mean...what would I do for an hour and a half? Meditate? I don't THINK so!!
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:08 PM

I had both. They gave me the epi, mainly for pain management after and the GA for the surgery. The epi for PM was great. I got to press my own button whenever I needed it. I wouldn't want to be awake during it, that's for sure. Maybe that is what they meant? If it's an either or, I would pick GA for sure. Good luck with your decision and I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:22 PM

I am a chicken when it comes to needles and hospitals, but I must say that having my surgery with epidural with a "twilight " medication, was pure Heaven!! really, I told my doctors I didnt want to be awake when they put the epidural nor I wanted to wake up with a needle in my back.
well, all I remember is being wheeled to the OR and then wakeing up in recovery with NO pain at all!! I didnt wake up during surgery and I dont remember anything.... my legs were numb, but I got my feelings back in a couple of hours, I didnt have any pain whatsoever during the first 24 hrs, and after one night in the hospital, the next morning I stood up, walked a bit and was sent home with a percocet.

for me, it was the best decision, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldnt change a thing.
do some research, and talk to your doctor and anesthesiologist and make the best decision for you, you have to feel comfortable with your surgery,,,,
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM

I didn't realize they gave you twilight anesthesia too. My doctor didn't mention that part. Then again, she probably saw the look of terror when she mentioned the epidural and just stopped right there. So you're awake, but not really...maybe that's not so bad. I had just twilight anesthesia when I had ear tubes put in (at age 35!), and I remember quite a lot. But with the epidural too, which I've also had...maybe I have to rethink this. Thanks so much for the extra information!
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Neonjellyfish ,

I had a wonderful experience with General Anesthesia. Much like Twysmilng, I was being rolled into the pre-op area and then woke up (PAINFREE) in recovery. I had a Dilaudid PCA controller in my hand and an telling me to push the button if it hurt.
The next day I had the miles of vaginal packing removed and I have to tell you... I am very glad that I was not aware of it going in! Even with the PCA it hurt as it was removed.
I hope this helps!
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:10 PM

With epidural you will have no more awareness than with general anasthesia and it is better for the body. You are not awake as in conscious for a hysterectomy....it's not the same as when you have a baby. Maybe a vague memory of being moved or some such fleeting vision is all the conciousness you will experience if you have any at all.
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:39 PM

I had GA but I also had the option of GA and and epi for pain management after surgery. I did just the GA didn't really like the idea of a needle in my back..GA was great for me, I tend to get a little nauseous after GA (this was the 4th time I had GA) so they usually give me iv phenegran which works wonderfully. I woke up with a PCA pump and felt great! I always joke with my husband because this was the "biggest" surgery I had ever had and I felt the best after it. Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register