Don't read post-op before "the" surgery - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't read post-op before "the" surgery Don't read post-op before "the" surgery

Unread 09-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Don't read post-op before "the" surgery

I'm 18 months post op, and hardly ever even think of the surgery anymore. Before the surgery, I too read post-op forum, and it scared me, yet also comforted me knowing if I DID have problems, I could find support here. As it turned out, the anticipation was way worse than the surgery. The recovery wasn't as smooth as most, but I never once regretted my decision. It took me a full 8 months to really feeel totally better, and ultimately, I became "normal".. I felt like I had been recharged. I truly believe the hyst gave me a new life.When other women are complaining of cramps, I can smirk, and it reminds me that I no longer have to deal with all the daily pain and bleeding.
This is a tough decision to make, and it's normal to be scared and have doubts. If you think of all the women who have a hyst, and the very small percentage that encounter ANY difficulty at all, it should help you be less nervous. Think of the positive ( white lacy panties, fresh clean sheets, crampless vacations, extra space in your purse, and not needing to scope out public restrooms .. yuk )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2005, 09:23 PM

I am having surgery Wednesday and I too quit reading post op board about a week ago (after my DH insisted) and feel much more positive. My fear is that Dr. won't be able to do LAVH as planned and do TAH/ BSO. I know there is such a big difference in recovery. I am sticking to pre-op for now but will look forward to post op afterwards.
Unread 09-27-2005, 07:03 AM

bjd3563 - Doctors, can do many things these days. (That was one of the things I learned while, watching the surgery on my computer) and HE or SHE, will do his best to do the LAVH, IMHO... so please try NOT to worry. I will be thinking of you and will also offer a prayer that ALL will go as planned. Please try to relaxe and then leave it with the Surgeon and God who will watch over you. Tender ((HUG)) donna42
Unread 09-27-2005, 08:17 AM

Hi,
I'm sorry the post-op board scared you,
But it helped me so much. I was so scared to death.

LEW
Unread 09-27-2005, 08:47 AM

I read a thread in post-op when I was pre-op and it scared me quite badly, it was about what happened to a sister when she over did things. I remembered that thread the whole time I was recovering and it stopped me from making the same mistakes, so it was good that I read that. Alot of threads in post-op are started because sisters are over doing things and when you do over do it, it hurts and can cause problems. So, if you can, try and read those threads, they may help you and stop you from making the same mistakes.
Alot of the post-op threads are pretty common complaints about gas, insomnia, no energy, menopause or just needing some encouragement. Maybe by reading those you can be more prepared and not so surprised when they happen. I didn't read to much post-op when I was pre-op and was caught off guard by so many common things, I am sorry I wasn't more informed. Try and scan threw some of the ones that seem not so scary and stay away from the ones that seem like they might be to much for your mind to take right now.
Most of us do fine and are living a much better life now. I hope everyones surgery goes great and you all have uneventful recoveries!!!

Donna42... I would watch the surgery also,I like that kind of stuff (weird, I know)
Unread 09-27-2005, 10:34 AM

I didn't go near the post-op board when I was pre-op. All the questions I had were answered by sisters on the pre-op board. I agree that the post-op board would have better prepared me in some ways, but it was all about keeping a positive attitude and calming my fears when I was pre-op.

The moment I got home I hit the post-op board. Let me tell you there are some pretty zany characters over there They really helped to keep me in a positive frame of mind! And the support......I have never seen anything like it. Those ladies are truly heaven sent!

I believe that most women have a positive experience. But what are you going to do? Brag about how great you're doing when others are not doing so good? I think the post-op board is alot like the pre-op board......we just want to know that what we are going through is normal and need someone to calm our fears.

of course there are some "horror" stories. I believe that those are the exception.....not the rule.

Jennifer
Unread 09-27-2005, 01:18 PM

I was one of the ladies with complications--ones I wouldn't have even read about in post-op! But I do NOT regret my hyst one bit, complications and all! It was the right thing for, and continues to be the right thing.

So, don't let all of us scare you out of surgery if it is the right thing for you, but do be aware so that you make the right decision. As it has been mentioned, ladies who have a wonderful surgery and recovery, really have no need to post their experience. Those of us with questions and concerns are the ones posting.

Best wishes!
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM

(( Tanner413 ))
I have loved my short time, being with Hyster Systers & after reading pre-op, and becoming confident - I got "over" confident. In my search engine, I then put Hysterectomy, and the one I am meant to be having I never, ever ,thought i would be watching a Gynae. at a conference, talking to other surgeons about the correct procedure of having surgery LOL. I realise that I do need this surgery done. Sitting here, with tummy cramps & yet another period, I woud have the surgery right now! Being a "softy" when surgery does come, I will probably forget, the many bad periods of the last 3 months. ((Thankyou)) for letting me no, that you could watch something like that too! it was actually very interesting & the surgeon said more straightforward - taking a lot of time off the old method. The only way I felt able to thank Hyster-Systers, was to become a Crown Jewel - as I would want this site to be here, for everyone. Living in the UK things are a bit different & on the day of surgery NOBODY, is allowed to be with you. For much of the time after - Nobody, can stay for long, at the hospital to help. I have made many friends, in hospital - while I have run away, from some nurse, who was trying to give me a shot! My periods are very heavy - longs & wear me out. ((Thanks)) for messaging - you have made me feel better - and to all of the other sisters, on here - we will one day be writing from the other side?YaY... My thoughts are with all of those, having surgery, in the next few days & with all of you, that are healing. It is always good to read your posts, and to feel that i am not isolated. Best Wishes, donna42

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register