Am I crazy? Planning only taking 2 weeks off. (UPDATED) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I crazy? Planning only taking 2 weeks off. (UPDATED) Am I crazy? Planning only taking 2 weeks off. (UPDATED)

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Re: Am I crazy? Planning only taking 2 weeks off.

I think I would look into another week if possible. Could be just right and still using an assistant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2012, 05:14 AM

Hi! I can surely understand needing to get back to work quickly! I had what was supposed to be a TVH but at the last minute I had a lot of unexpected bleeding, so my doctor had to go in Lap. to explore and stop the bleeding. Long story short, I lost a lot of blood but came through ok.

I slept 23 hours a day for the first five days (exhaustion from blood loss?), then the next couple of days I started increasing my 'awake time" and turned it into "up time". I was able to go in to work thursday (7 days postop) and work several hours and now 8 days after surgery I feel fantastic. I was even able to do some shopping last night. I plan to get back to work on Monday full time. That will be 10 days after surgery.

My point would be that I think you'll be better able to get back to work quickly if you truly, honestly do nothing for the first week and let your body heal itself. Because you work standing up...could you schedule your important clients for half-days in the first week back? I'd hate for you to over-do it and suffer a setback :/

I truly hope you have an easy surgery and get back on your feet easily. Best of luck!
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Am I crazy? Planning only taking 2 weeks off. (UPDATED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheTwo View Post
Hi! I can surely understand needing to get back to work quickly! I had what was supposed to be a TVH but at the last minute I had a lot of unexpected bleeding, so my doctor had to go in Lap. to explore and stop the bleeding. Long story short, I lost a lot of blood but came through ok.

I slept 23 hours a day for the first five days (exhaustion from blood loss?), then the next couple of days I started increasing my 'awake time" and turned it into "up time". I was able to go in to work thursday (7 days postop) and work several hours and now 8 days after surgery I feel fantastic. I was even able to do some shopping last night. I plan to get back to work on Monday full time. That will be 10 days after surgery.

My point would be that I think you'll be better able to get back to work quickly if you truly, honestly do nothing for the first week and let your body heal itself. Because you work standing up...could you schedule your important clients for half-days in the first week back? I'd hate for you to over-do it and suffer a setback :/

I truly hope you have an easy surgery and get back on your feet easily. Best of luck!
The hardest part for me will be to truly rest while I'm recovering. But if it will help me get back to work quicker, than that's what I'll do.
And yes, I can arrange my schedule however I choose. I'm self employed. I plan on starting off slowly when first going back. I'll be working half days and definitely using an assistant.
Thanks for telling me about your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Hi there Packard89,
I had a DaVinci, everything removed including some lymph nodes, on Nov 5th. I was back at work Tuesday, the 20th. I would have gone back a few days before that if the onc hadn't had me wearing a catheter for 2 weeks! I work retail and had limited PTO saved up. Fortunately my employer let me go into the negative for my surgery, but I didn't want to abuse the situtation and was anxious to get back as quickly as possible.

I didn't have any complications and was walking my dog by the end of week 1. Yes, I was tired after working all day and even at 6 wks post op I still tire very easily.

The only thing I would suggest is to have one of the belly bands they sell in the hyster store. I would start each day feeling fine, but by the end of the day my belly would be achy. I think if I had been wearing something to support it, I would have felt much better. The belly band is also extremely helpful after surgery. I didn't know of such a thing at the time of my surgery and ended up using some control top panty hose with the legs and crotch cut out!

I agree with many others that you may want to schedule lightly for the 3rd week, but if your body tells you its not ready, then pay attention to it.

My stylist had to have surgery once and she gave her core clients the name of someone else in the salon that had my info and could help me in a pinch. Obviously that means you have to have a trusting relationship with the other stylists. I was impressed that while facing her surgery, she had considered her clients and offered them a short term alternative.

One other item to consider: I went into my surgery with a positive attitude and was determined to work through the surgery and get back to normal asap. I think the good attitude is a big portion of my healing. I'm mentally sending a big push of positive energy your way! Take care.
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM

You are NOT crazy. I went back to work in 12 days. My doctor very reluctantly gave me the go-ahead. He prefers women take at least three weeks off. But I'm a teacher and hate being out of the classroom. Here's the key, as I understand it: how fit are you now? I work out daily, and from all I read, fit people tend to rebound much faster. I was tired at the end of my first day back at school, but by day 2, I felt most of my energy back. I recovered in all area but the stitches (Hmph!) way ahead of schedule--and I have an auto-immune disorder docs were worried about.

So ask yourself how you feel at the end of a normal working day and take it from there. Just know your decision should be based on your body and not what you feel you "should" do.
Unread 12-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglethrough View Post
You are NOT crazy. I went back to work in 12 days. My doctor very reluctantly gave me the go-ahead. He prefers women take at least three weeks off. But I'm a teacher and hate being out of the classroom. Here's the key, as I understand it: how fit are you now? I work out daily, and from all I read, fit people tend to rebound much faster. I was tired at the end of my first day back at school, but by day 2, I felt most of my energy back. I recovered in all area but the stitches (Hmph!) way ahead of schedule--and I have an auto-immune disorder docs were worried about.

So ask yourself how you feel at the end of a normal working day and take it from there. Just know your decision should be based on your body and not what you feel you "should" do.
I was going to the gym regularly until I fractured my ribs. Unfortunately, my ribs healed but Iost my "mojo" and haven't been back since. So.....I now have few pounds lose. 😞 Looks like I better get back in there now!! There's still time to get my endurance back up.
Thanks
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM

I'm planning on taking 2 weeks also. I have a very sedentary office job and lift nothing heavier than a magic marker all day, so my doc agreed that I should be fine, but let her know if I have any issues during recovery and she will extend that period. In 2009, after a Lap Myomectomy, I was back at my desk in 5 days. Everyone heals differently, so listen to your body and if anything feels remotely unusual, let your doc know immediately.
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Hi,

I had a TLH with both ovaries and cervix removed. Uneventful recovery. My doctors told me that my recovery was quick.

I was allowed back at work at 4 weeks - full time, at least 40hrs per week, high heels, long commute and lots of driving.

I managed fine BUT It was EXHAUSTING between weeks 4 up until 8 weeks post op. All I did was work and sleep.
With hindsight I think if I'd taken more time off I wouldn't have been so tired.

I'm now just over three months post op and feel great Although I still have a huge swelly belly.
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookyl View Post
Hi,

I had a TLH with both ovaries and cervix removed. Uneventful recovery. My doctors told me that my recovery was quick.

I was allowed back at work at 4 weeks - full time, at least 40hrs per week, high heels, long commute and lots of driving.

I managed fine BUT It was EXHAUSTING between weeks 4 up until 8 weeks post op. All I did was work and sleep.
With hindsight I think if I'd taken more time off I wouldn't have been so tired.

I'm now just over three months post op and feel great Although I still have a huge swelly belly.
3 months post op and you still have swelling in your belly? Goodness gracious! I better get busy buying some clothes that will accommodate that!! I only have jeans. 😣
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM

I had a TLH 12 days ago, and I work at a daycare. Returned to work day 2 (due mostly to a family emergency my boss had, but also a financial need) with an assistant. I, of course, do not pick up the children and I'm lucky to be able to sit or stand as necessary. I returned to my part time jobs after a week (again financially necessary) it has not been easy, but I made it work. I am, also, used to a 80+ hour a week work schedule. I have cut it back to 40, lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register