Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates July 06-July 12,2009 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates July 06-July 12,2009 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates July 06-July 12,2009

Unread 07-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates July 06-July 12,2009

If your hysterectomy was between Jul 06-Jul 12,2009 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.***
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

***If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns! There's information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 06-Jul 12,2009

I am sitting in my hospital bed and feeling GREAT! Had my TAH/BSO at 8:30 this am. There were no surprises during the surgery. I am surprisingly alert (obviously if I am writing this message). I also has an epidural so I could be on less of the narcotic pain meds. This may be why I am so alert. I had a solid food lunch which hit the spot. I am thinking about you other sisters and hoping all is going well!
Unread 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM

I got home yesterday around 11am, less than 48 hours after I showed up at the hospital for my SAH scheduled for 1:30pm July 6. I was up and walking about 9 hours after surgery, and eating crackers about three hours after that.

The surgeon's good news was that the cyst on my left ovary was obviously a simple one so it was drained and I still have both ovaries There were no complications; no adhesions and very little blood loss. The discomfort has been amazingly less than I was anticipating. The only downside was that I had to have staples instead of surgical glue for the incision because of the length and shape the incision ultimately had to be.

I'm feeling pretty good, and am finding it difficult to "just rest and relax". Fortunately my husband took leave from work and makes sure I don't get myself into trouble

For me, the words "the worst part of surgery is the anticipation" have proven absolutely true so far; everything was a lot less scary/painful/aweful than I was imagining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2009, 08:17 AM

Hello ladies! I am home in bed recovering from my TAH! I had general anesthesia, and a morphine drip until the next day. Everything has gone well and I am so glad for the info I learned on this site! He took the uterus, cervix and (surprise to me) right ovary and tube. Apparently there was a 'bloody cyst'. I had been telling both this doctor and the last that I had pain mid cycle on the right side for some time, but nothing ever showed up on the ultrasound. So no more mid cycle pain and the left ovary will continue to give it's natural hormones! yay! I was very groggy from the morphine so I tried not to press the button too many times (they told me that there was 1mg of morphine in my iv per hour anyway) The morphine gave me the shakes and shivers and 2 times I just started crying because I was so uncomfortable and was not allowed out of bed: the cath was uncomfortable for me and they had to keep coming to mess with it and move it around and sure enough out would come all this urine collecting in my bladder making it hard and painful. But that all came out the next day! I stood slowly with the nurses help and walked to the bathroom slowly and went potty all by myself. (pat on back) I had alot of cath problems with my son's birth and was so relieved that my body did well this time. The incision is painful but not horribly so, the staples look gruesome! I have been eating very little, clear liquids and now some cream soups, yogurt and jello. The gas has been painful, but I walked around and sure enough the bubbles found the right way out. I am taking the stool softener but haven't had a bm yet. Not eating enough solid food I guess. My nurses were all great and I am so glad it is over! I am so glad I had this done!!
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Hi everyone. Got home yesterday after a TAH on 7-6-09. It definately was not text book. I stayed in recovery for 5 hrs because they could not get my BP up. And my HCT (Blood) count dropped from 36 pre op to 24 post op. No signs of bleeding internal after surgery. Blood count waxed and waned for 2 days. Finally after reaching 18, I was given 2 units of PRBS. (Thank God I am AB+). Brought my HCT to 22. My OB/GYN spoke to anesthesia, hematology, and internal medicine and they have no idea why blood volume dropped in half. After CT's and Ultrasounds, no signs of internal bleeding were found. Had BM day after surgery and bladder working without problems, just little spasms. No pain pump, just Morphine x1 IM given with Toradol IM on Wednesday AM. I have to go back to my doctor next Thursday for recheck and have HCT drawn again. Very tired, but blessed to be here. Pain annoying, but not really bad. Have been walking around house some. Handling solid foods without problems, just no appetite. Hope everyone one's recovery is going text book.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Oh stp what an ordeal! I am glad they finally transfused you. That is a mystery, but hopefully it is all behind you now and you will continue to heal 'text-book'! Be blessed!!
Unread 07-10-2009, 01:07 PM

Hello All, First time back on the computer and I'm kinda wordy so I apologize in advance.

I had my TLAVH on 7/6 at 12:30PM - apparently there were "complications".

Long history kinda short: I'd been dealing w/cervical dysplasia for a couple of years leading to a vaginal ultrasound and told I would need to have a hysterectomy as I had adenomyosis (sp?) w/an enlarged uterus and a few small cysts on my right ovary but should be able to keep it; we'd also be able to get rid of "that troublesome cervix"... surgery should take less than 2 hours. Well... 3 1/2 hours later my husband was informed that they'd had to stop the surgery for a bit because after moving my uterus behind it was covered in what was either lots of endo or cancer (supposedly they look the same). They did a cryo biopsy and the result said endo (whew) but apparently it bleeds a lot when removing it and I lost a lot of blood (don't know how much yet) and almost needed some. My right ovary was HUGE, MASSIVE, ENORMOUS and "diseased" so it had to go. I'm thinking this explains a lot of pain I have regularly experienced on my right side.

Woke up feeling like I was in the midst of unprepared back labor and was given a shot - not sure what - in 3 separate doses. This was the worst pain of my life and I can take a lot. Was given Toradol in 4 doses over the next 36 hours, also had a morphine pump - hit that button every 10 minutes until 8:30AM Tuesday then didn't need it anymore; just two percocet before bed and one Wed morning.

At 6:30AM Tuesday they removed the catheter and I didn't feel a thing. I'd been eating a ton of ice chips and had been given a lot of liquids for my dinner so the bag had been constantly full. Two hours later I was assisted into the bathroom and after a couple of minutes I was urinating w/no problems. After that I didn't need any assistance getting up or down. They had me sitting in recliner for a few hours then doctor wanted me to walk 10 feet before bed.... Nurse suggested holding onto a cardiac walker for support then hubby and I roamed the halls for quite a while - felt much better!!! Doc also put me on solid food ~ ate what I could, it was gross! Had a good amount of gas but it kept moving so I made my kids quite proud!

Wed AM, woke up to a horrible headache (caffeine I'm sure, hospital coffee didn't cut it) and backache. I got up, went pee, stood holding onto walker then sat in recliner for a while. Doc came in, said I looked good and could go home even though I had low grade temp. Slept most of the day (no interruptions) and felt much better, temp gone. Heating pad helped w/back pain. Still taking regular pain meds - I also take them for back problems but when I let them wear off I'm a hurting princess. I did have some gas problems last night while I felt like my body was prepping for a BM (used stool softener, am taking iron due to blood loss), after BM I was "normal".

Today I no longer have any gas, had my regular AM BM, am walking around the house, washed a few dishes and about to lie down for a while before puttering around some more this evening. I've had help w/food from my church plus I put a lot in the freezer just in case.

Side note: Before I left the castle the doc asked "So was it as bad as you thought?" I said, "Yes!" He seemed shocked but I said I couldn't imagine anyone doing this on a voluntary basis as it has been the most painful experience for me. I'm sure its quite possible that my experience could be explained by my "complications" and some women have far easier post-op. I wouldn't discourage anyone who needs this surgery to have it but for those who told me this would be "a walk in the park" and "it's no big deal"... they'd better not come near me for a while *LOL*!
Unread 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Me, too! Thanks for the good vibes, imajrzygrl! Feeling better now, moving around house some, DH has been WONDERFUL!!! Gas, not bad, pain tolerable. Kids even being great!! and "swelly belly" band is a Godsend!!! I recommend you get one if you have not already!
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Hi All, Had my LAVH\BSO thankfully when I woke up yesterday in recovery. Some questions about scar tissue and MD had extra setup for TAH in room. Nurse kept giving me Dilaudid IV in recovery for pain and sayin Breath, However back pain was gone and so was pelvic pain just new abdominal incisional (I'll take that) Went up to the room in , had a cathetor was. Not draining well the Dr decided they would keep it in for the night as that thought process happened I got sick to my stomach felt dizzy, and just wished I could crawl under some rock. The gas pain was unbearable, I was cranky, hungry, thristy and just plain ole sick feeling. The nurse got me something for nausea and moved the cathetor around and I started to pee. I just needed some catching up after 3 hrs I put out over 2 liters was up moving around.
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Hi
I had my LAVH with BSO and bladder sling on Tuesday. Surgery was scheduled for 1:00 pm but when I got there at 11:00, they were ready for me, so I went in at noon instead. Surgery took 3 hours as Dr found lots of endometriosis and got it all out. My DH said I was in recovery 2 hours because I kept getting nauseous. I don't remember that so that's a good thing. I got into my room at 6:00 pm. I had shots of morphine until about 3:00 am and then no more pain meds of any kind. Believe it or not, I had NO pain. I came home yesterday at 3:00 pm. DH had me take a pain pill when we got home, "just in case". So I took that one and then another before I went to bed for the night. Again, not because of pain, but he didn't want me waking up in pain. I had to come home with the catheter because I couldn't go pee by myself. I went this morning to the urologist and the nurse told me they did the "potty dance" before I got there, so hopefully I could go pee. Well, it worked!! Yay for me!! No more catheter!! I have been taking my stool softener since a couple days before surgery. I had 2 BMs yesterday which were no problem at all. I have been taking Gas-x, but more as a preventative as I haven't had much gas either. Haven't needed the ab binder and don't really have much of a swelly belly to speak of. I almost feel like I am posting in the wrong place because I haven't had any problems that I had read about.
Trust everyone when they say the waiting is the worst part. I was ok until the night before surgery. I got a bit weepy then. And while I was waiting for them to wheel me into surgery, I guess I got a lot weepy so they gave me something in my IV to calm me down. And then my daughter said when they started taking me away, I really got upset, so the nurse gave me another shot of whatever it was. I remember moving from the guerney to the table in the OR and I remember them saying to call anesthesiologist because they were ready. That is it. Next thing I knew, I was in my room.
I am so thankful that my recovery (so far) has been great. I feel bad for all of those that are in so much pain and I wish everyone speedy recovery. For those ladies in waiting, please realize that it IS possible for some of us to have an easy recovery. When I went to my pre-op and was asking all those "what if" questions, my Dr kept saying, where did you hear all this. I said I read it. He said sometimes you can read "too much" information. Everyone is different.
Good luck to everyone getting ready for their trip to the Castle. And to those already home, I hope you are feeling stronger every day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register