Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

If your hysterectomy was between Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

my TVH! 2-5-08
I feel pretty good! Not alot of pain, a little swelly belly. And a bit tired from lack of sleep cuz of waking up a hundred times to pee. (hopefully it will subside since he IV is gone)

Glad to be home, and will keep updating!
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM

I am home. I am a little worn out but the constant back pain is gone. My uterus was folded upside down ontop of itself ( not prolapsed ) My ovaries were healthy so they stayed and I am very pleased. I had a hard time in recovery getting comfortable but after that I was able to get up and walk halls etc. and pain is managable. As my doctor said you will love your next period. Well gotta get some rest wish you all the best.
TAH 2-4-2008
Corrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2008, 11:25 PM
my surgery/recovery report (2 days post-op) - very long - children mentioned

Hi everyone,

It feels so good to finally write on the other side! I definitely agree waiting is the hardest!

Here's the story....

Woke up at 4:45 AM on Monday. Showered, did a couple last emails, and drove to the hospital. Arrived around 5:30 AM. I was called in to get in my gown, and get all my pre-op stuff done (IVs, etc) around 6 AM. I found out at that time that my surgery was post-poned to 8:20 because of an emergency situation. I was fine with that. So, my husband and my mom came back and waited with me. That was fun.... we just talked and laughed. My mom and I reminisced about when I got my very first period when I was 13. It was really funny.

Finally, at about 8:10 AM, the OR nurse came in (a male nurse) and we chatted. He was nice. Then, the anesthesiologist came in and I told him my fear about waking up during surgery. He assured me over and over again that won't happen. He said it was 1 in 35,000 people this happens to, and in his entire career, it's never happened to any of his patients. He explained to me there was a brain wave machine that he watches, and that machine tells him my state of consciouness.

Then, my doctor came in, and one question I wanted to ask him was a follow up question from my pre-op. at my pre-op, he told me he'd be making an incision in my vagina, but I'm having a TAH. So, on the pre-op board, I asked about this, and I told the ladies over there I'd ask him what he meant by that. So, I did. He told me exactly what I had thought. He said this is the vaginal cuff, and he'd be making an incision in my vagina through the abdomen, so he did not have to operate at all from my vagina. He said he would do a vaginal exam, and that was it in terms of involving entering anything vaginally.

Then, the anesthesiolgist pulled out this shot needle and said it contained amnesia medicine. He put it in my IV, and the next thing I knew, I was in recovery! WOW!!

My husband said the surgery took about 1 hour 45 minutes. He took out my uterus, cervix and appendix.

One thing I found so ineresting was I have heard that you don't have memory from the recovery room right after your surgery. You are awake, but I've heard you are so out of it, you usually don't remember that. Well, I have a clear memory of being in the recovery room right after surgery! I remember being in a room with about 6 other beds, and there was a woman across from me who was moaning in pain. But, i remember being in SOOOOO much pain. i remember clearly moaning, and saying to the nurse, "my pain is a 10. My pain is a 10!" (scale of 0 - 10). She kept saying, "Hang on honey, we're trying our best to control it." She was on the phone with my doctor, and she then put something in my IV. And, she said, "that should bring your pain level down." But, it didn't. And, I kept moaning, and I just remember being in SO much pain, and I said, "No, it's still a 10." And, then she got back on the phone, and talked to the doctor and she said, "we'll try this." She put something else in my IV. And, that didn't help. And, this is SO funny..... I clearly remember saying this.... "Did he take my uterus out? I feel like I'm on my period!" HAHAH!!! Isn't that SO funny?!! the pain I was having was so bad that I associated it with my period! Then the nurse said to me, "No, sweetie, he took it all out. We'll get this pain taken care of."

Note, that this was all happening really fast.... it's not like this was dragging on. I'm just telling all the details. ;-)

So, then she was on the phone with my doctor and she said, "her pain is still a 10." Adn, then she said, "here, this should work." She put somethign in my IV, and then next thing I knew, I was in my hospital room! So, she completely knocked me out with something!

So, that was my recovery room experience. Pretty wild!! I have told several people this, and I've heard that most people do not remember their recovery room experience, and it is this time where most people ARE in the most pain. I don't know why I remembered it.... the amnesia stuff must have worn out. Good thing it wore out THERE and not durign surgery!

So, I was in my hospital room, and had the morphine pump..... I LOVED that pump. I had to be on my back, and could only eat ice chips all day... I couldn't even drink water. Toward the end of teh day, I was able to eat popsicles. I was drifting in and out of consciousness that whole day.... I remember some people who were in my room, and other people who were supposedly in my room, I have no recolection. And, my husband has been having fun telling me all of the goofy things I said. I won't bother boring you with them... haha....but I guess I said some pretty funny things.

One thing i remember was i itched SOOOO badly. I had to wear those leg hugger things on my legs, and my whole body itched, and it'd itch under the leg things. The nurse said it was a side effect to morphine. So, I had my husband and mom constantly scratching different parts of my body. haha.

The nurse had me sit up in bed that night (day of surgery), and I stood up on my feet for about 5 seconds with a nurse on each side. My whole body just shook. they laid me back down, and I went to sleep for the night.

I had a good night the first night. I woke up only when the nurse came in to give me medicine or check vitals. But, I just remember sleeping well.

Doctor came in at 7 AM day after surgery (day 1 post-op). I felt I was doing well, but he had said earlier he'd be sending me home 2 days post-op. At that point, I could NOT imagine going home so soon, so I asked him if I could say 3 days post-op. He didn't say yes or no. he just said we'd discuss it tomorrow. I also told him about my concern of him taking my staples out (I had 19 staples) the day I left the hospital. He told me if I'm really worried about it, I could have a choice to have them taken out a week later, but come back to his office to do it, or I coudl just choose to do it before I left the hospital. I was worried about this because of a friend's experience where her incision split when they took her staples out 3 days post-op. So, I thought about it all day, but then decided I'd go ahead and have them taken out at the hospital. I decided my friend's situation was a rare one.

I had a good morning on day 1 post-op. I went for a walk down the hall. The nurses were commenting on how far I walked, and how most people don't walk that far. They said my fitness level contributed to how well I was doing.

Then, I had a rough patch in the afternoon. they took away my morphine pump and changed me to perkaset (sp??). It took them a while to figure out the right dosage, so I was in pain half of day 1 post-op.

Well, then what happened was they decided to just give me 2 perkaset ever 4 hours. They were just giving me 1. but, that didn't seem to be enough. Well, the night nurse then gave me 2 perkaset every 4 hours, and she started at 10 PM, then at 2 AM, and then at 6 AM. My doctor came in at 7 AM today (day 2 post-op), and I felt good. I told him I'd be able to go home today.

So, he wrote up my discharge papers, and we chatted some, answered some of my questions, and he left.

about 30 minutes later, I became extremely faint, and nauseated.... LONG story short, I began throwing up, and I almost fainted... my husband basically caught me. My husband called the nurse, and they figured out that the night nurse had given me TOO much perkaset! Oh my goodness.... how scary! It took until noon to get me stabalized. It was pretty scary. I felt like I was in and out of consciousness all morning. I was so nauseated, and the nurse almost had to start up a new IV.

waht they discovered is that the normal dose for most adults is 2 perkaset for every 4 hours. But, I'm small.... definitely smaller than the average female (5'6" and 123 lbs).... I'm just small boned and petite. and, she said that for someone like me, I should NOT have 2 perkaset at the same time. I should only have 1. She said 2 perkaset is too much for my body. on top of that, the night nurse did not give me any food with my perkaset... she just gave it to me, and I went back to sleep.

So, the night nurse basically made a mistake. CRAZY!

So, I was supposed to be discharged at 11 AM, but they let me stay as long as I needed. I finally felt normal by 3 PM, and I was ready to go. I was confident the issues I had were due to the perkaset issues.

Oh, and get this.... while I was goign thruogh this episode this morning with nasuea, throwing up, and passing out, my husband called the nurses station a few times. One time he called, I was crying because I just felt so gross and I did not feel right. I was scared. This nurse walked in.... a nurse I had not seen before, and she sits down, and she says in a really calm voice, "oh honey, I'm so sorry. what is the matter?" I said, "I've been throwing up, and I don't feel good." So, then she said, "Oh, where is your baby? let me get your baby. Maybe that'll cheer you up."

OH MY GOODNESS can you believe she said that???!!!! Thankgoodness I am completely at peace about losing my uterus in terms of childbearing (I already have kids and don't want more). But, can you even think of what woudl have happened if I was someone who was NOT at peace about losing my uterus because I wanted more children?

This woman made a terrible mistake. I just started to cry more when she said that mostly becuase she thought I had a baby and didn't know WHY I was really there! good grief. My husband got up, and said, "um, she just had a hysterectomy.... I don't think she appreciates you asking her where her baby is." The nurse looked like SHE was about to cry, and she apologized and left and said she'd get my nurse. I think she may have have been an intern, actually.

Anyway, that was not good....

Well, they got me all under control, and I came home at 3 PM. I am home now.... laying on the couch. I'll sleep on the couch, I think, the first couple nights.... my bedroom is upstairs, and I'd rather be in the room where everything is.

Our kids are with my parents all week, so it's just my husband and me at home, so that is raelly nice.... I can recover this week quietly. I feel lucky for that.

I feel really good, and I feel like my recovery is going really well. I think everything went really well, except the perkaset mishap.

my doctor said I'm doing very well, and walking better than most patients. Oh, and I did have horrid gas pains yesterday, but I've been passing gass all day today, and so that is getting better. No BM yet, but hopefullly that'll happen soon! My doctor said to expect a week for all that to seem normal.

Ok, I'm about to fall asleep... sorry so long, but I love details! ;-)

I can't wait to help ladies who are waiting! So many people helped me, so I'm ready to give back!!

The waiting IS the hardest!!!! I do not regret this at all.... the pain I've had in my groin and leg is GONE.... my uterus was resting on something and causing pain, and it's GONE. woo hoo! Each day, I'm sure I'll notice how good I feel.

Take care! Ask any questions!!
Unread 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM

another update, 2 days post op.
feel pretty good, last night i had alot of belly pain, but i think alot of it was i needed to poop. took a ducolax i had from pre-op bowel prep and some gas reliever. i felt better! I laid with the heating pad on my tummy a good bit last night when i had the cramps.
Doc called and checked on me this morning.
Unread 02-07-2008, 01:18 PM

loves to run,

I am so glad you are home and feeling as well as you are.I will continue praying for you and your recovery.Now it is time to really start living!!!!!!!
Faith
Unread 02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Whew - that's over - and resting at home!

Well, the waiting is over, the surgery is over, and I am at home! This feels pretty good!

Highlights -
Pre-surgery prep was exactly like Loves to Run. THey gave me an injection in my IV, wheeled me into the operating room, I remember looking around at all the people and "stuff", but the next thing was waking up in recovery.

My surgery was LAVH, which was a relief because I had a lot of scarring and adhesions from endo, but the doc was able to pry everything loose, lol. He told me beforehand that I might need a TAH, and that scared me a lot. Unfortunately, he had to take my ovaries since they were full of cysts and tangled up in endo as well. Oh well, can't do anything about it now. The surgery took about 2 hours and I woke up in recovery 2-1/2 hours after that (total of 4 1/2 hours under). I was in extreme pain and crying, but don't remember too much of that.

Once up in my room it was a blur yesterday. No food all day except a popcycle. I tried to drink some broth, but it made me feel really sick, so I stopped and went back to ice chips and water. I never really slept solidly all night. Very tired and had a bad headache all night. Just not able to sleep.

I did get a nice surprise. I told all my friends to NOT come to the hospital to visit. My mom was there but no one else. She left around 5:00 pm, and i was feeling pretty good, but a little lonely. Out of the blue one of my best friends shows up with a GIANT stuffed floppy dog that is super soft and cuddly. He stayed a while and I feel asleep holding the dog, so I felt warm and happy.

THis morning was crappy. I ordered breakfast and was weaning myself off the morphine. THey gave me a percoset. When i just smelled the breakfast I started throwing up. Did that several times.

AFter a while my stomach settled down. Recommend saltine crackers and chicken broth!!! Then I just had to produce enough urine to make the nurse happy so she would release. That finally happened around 3:00 this afternoon, and I was out of there!!

I am bleeding a little bit, which worries me since she said I should just be spotting a little. Also starting to get stabbing gas pains, which I expect will get worse over the next 12 hours.

Otherwise, it went pretty well. Sure glad the worrying part is over.

More to come. I am soooo tired....
Unread 02-07-2008, 05:20 PM

I am extremely weak but the lower back pain and feeling bloated and full in pelvic area is gone. I am a big girl and it takes a lot to get up and down. I have been doing well though .I go tomorrow and get my staples out. I am looking forward to a life free of bleeding and bloating. I am going to spend time up in chair for a awhile before bed. Good luck to all.
Corrina TAH 2-4- 08
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM

congrats III Take the Rain! Welcome home from the hospital. ;-) it sounds like you are doing well, and that you only had to stay in the castle 24 hours.

I hear you on the stabbing gas pains. Those started for me the day after surgery. They are painful. They get better. Just as long as you start passing gas whenever you are able. At first, when I first felt like passing gas, it was my instinct to just hold it in because at that time there were people in my hospital room. Of course in a normal situation, I would not just pass gas in front of everyone in a room. haha. But, then I realized I'd be doing myself a huge disservice if I held it in, so I just told the people in my room.... "I'm really sorry, but I have to do this..." haha. It wasn't bad, and everyone understood. haha.

so, pass gas as much as you can, and those pains will go away soon. I still get the pains, but they are tolerable. I stilll have not had a BM, but maybe that'll happen tomorrow??? I hope so.

I'm sorry you got so sick. I also got sick from percocit. But, I just got sick because they gave me too much of a dose. I've been on percocit ever since and seem to be handling it fine.

Right now, I'm doing well. I just got a little more energy this afternooon out of no where. So, i can tell that each day it gets better, and I'm doing my best to just REST and only get up when needed. What I do is every time I get up to pee, that is when I go on my walk. I just walk around the bottom floor of my house (which is where I've set up camp). So, other than getting up to pee, I don't get up for any other reason.... so I'm getting my little walks in.

I am definitely still feeling pressure and bloating in my belly, but that is expected. I can't wait to see how I feel once I'm recovered!!!

One thing I've noticed is it is really hard to take a really deep breath, especially when I'm standing up. So,I've been working on that. But, tonight when I got up, I was able to take a few really good deep breathes, so that is good....

Good luck with your recovery, too, Corrina. It does not hurt to have the staples out. When the nurse took out mine, I closed my eyes because I was so afraid it was going to hurt, but when she was done, I hardly knew she had started taking them out.

Each day gets better!! It's nice to have each other's support!

Take care everyone. :-)

Hey Jax.... how are you??!! Waiting to hear from you!!
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM

WE did it!! I am still amazed that I went thru with it lol........ kinda felt like it was gonna b someone else's deal, odd thought.
I went in @5:30 wit my dh, mt mom, and older sis.
On the way to the hosp. I told dh... Eerything is ouuta my hands now. He just chuckled.
They called me back after about a 15 min. wait, answered some q's, said goodbyes and off I walked.(comfortably)lol
A nurse, anths man and nurses aid all talked with me together about the procedure, and answered all questions. Which I thought was a treat not to have to keep answering the same q's over and over again.
The nurse put my iv in and gave me something to calm me, the the 'medicine man' came over and prepped my back for my epidural, which wouldn't be used till after surgery. My doc came in and asked if ready...... and off we went. recovery room was fine, lil groggy but the epidural was in full force obviously. Then I woke up in my room with my fam there, (was a shared room, with a great family who's 20 y/o daughter had kidney problems) So, all of my family eventually left so I could sleep, then sleep some more. Liquid diet, after ice chips.
Soon I ouldn't feel anything in my left leg, right one I could move about, so they shut the meds to the epidural, and gave me a morphine drip. Which I hated! The side effects, made me so drowsy when I didn't think I shuld have been, slurred speech. So, my first overnight, I requested the epi be turned back on as low as possible. The next day my roommie had several visitors who were quite loud, so I got my own room. NICE had a couple of brief visits @ my request, and just slept. I was on 2 Tylenol w/codiene, and a clonopin every 4 hrs. But they were bringing my meds to me consistently over an hour late, so soon I just started calling the nures to get my meds. My reg surgeon was off on Wednesday, so I met Dr. Mill's, someone finally looked @ my incision on the third day. Looked great, but she said I could stay another day or go. I thought I was chosing to stay, but when dh came to have supper with me I was packed and ready to go! I figured I would be so much better @ home taking the meds @ the correct time.
All and all it was an alright experience. I think they over compensated with my epidural on the left side because of ovary and salpingo removal, but the constant being late with my meds was the ticket I needed to leave. So I came home last night slept great with my meds. really bloated, and feel like I am wearing one of those fake pregnancy suits, lol. But I am good and cannot wait for continuing recovery, doing some walking around the house feels great for my bottom. I am having no problems with bowel movements, almost everytime I potty I do both, but thank heavens it passes just fine. I get my staples out on Monday, one week post-op. Hope all is as well as can be for each of us. Take care.
*I had very little vaginal bleeding, so far*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register