Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 14 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

I finally have my bandage off. Just using a strip of gause now to help keep the wound dry, so another big day out getting a cab into the local town so I can visit the drs nurse. Low energy day today and kind of wondered what on earth caused this extra low. Am i feeling low emotionally, physically? Its hard to observe and decide eh. So i remembered that I forgot my pain meds and gee, while there might not be any obvious pain its kind of sneeky pain ... anyone know what i mean. Then i took a nana nap before going and remembered later i clean forgot lunch. SO ... in moving forward its hard to know what the ball parks are to monitoring eh ... but, its all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 01:54 AM

My update for the week:

Went and saw my doc for my first post-op appt, I am day 13 today. Answered all my questions and yes, she did take everything, I do have a vaginal cuff that is not sewn to the abdominal muscles but she felt it is strong and will be fine. Gave me my pics and they did make me feel better for some odd reason that is beyond my comprehension. Even my youngest daughter said, "Oh, so that was my home huh? Cool" My doc feels I will never need anything other than estrogen for HRT but talked with me about what to look for in case I need any additions or adjusting. She wants to manage that side of things herself for now and not have my PCP do it yet. I can drive limited time, nothing in the vagina until after she sees me again in four weeks. She is very happy with my incisions (and I did confess about taking the steri-strips off when I got home day after my surgery). Went over my OR and path reports and she gave me copies of those too for my book (I keep a book of all my healthcare which has been absolutely an essential gift to myself I have found over the years). When I told her how wiped out I am and in more pain than I thought she told me to quit expecting so much from myself, to give myself permission to heal and gain strength. So all in all a pretty good visit with DH there too.

Go home, back in jammies and get 'the phone call'. Youngest daughter was injured during her softball game and an ambulance is taking her to the emergency room for a cervical spine injury. So long story short, she ended up diagnosed with a cervical strain but we spent the evening/night in the trauma center/ER with her in a neck brace getting CT scans and MRIs. She is home now and in bed and I am finally back in jammies in my recliner and having major pain, can't even imagine what tomorrow will feel like if I feel like this now. Well, I guess it is what it is and if I am in pain tomorrow I will call my pain doc who will get me right as rain.

So now the whole family is sick with one thing or the other and poor hubby is king of it all! One of my bright spots is this site. As I sat in ER in pain I kept thinking my hysters would understand this and would probably even have some advice to help. Just glad to be home and don't plan to leave my recliner any time soon now. So on to week three, let the 'fun' begin!!
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:30 AM

Morning Ladies!

I haven't written too much, because I have felt guilty about doing so well... My heart hurt to hear of everyone suffering and I was at a loss as to what to say to make you all feel better. I didn't want to make anyone feel worse, so I kept quiet and then today I changed my mind. Perhaps it might be inspiring to hear some happy stuff in these posts which would encourage those still struggling and calm some of the fears of those still waiting to be princesses. So.....

I had bought plane tickets to Arizona for a vacation with my family and then I found out I needed the urgent hysterectomy. Tried to hide my disappointment, geared up for the castle and prepared to hate the world when everyone left without me. Then the most amazing thing happened - I had the surgery, and began with "aweful" days that turned into "icky" days. In my haze, "icky" days gave way to "ok" days which later rolled right into good days. Wonderful right? Truthfully, it wasn't. The way I saw it, it would have been better to still feel rotten and not care that I was missing out than to feel really good and KNOW exactly what I was missing out on. Especially when I hadn't made the phone call to the airline to cancel yet. At my husband's suggestion, I called the doctor and gingerly asked if it would be crazy to reconsider going only 12 days post op and I got the green light!!!!!!

I had to promise to use a wheelchair in the airport and sit by the pool when I got there, but as far as I am concerned +25c in sunshine versus -20c home in the snow is worth a few rules!

Anyway, I really hope this doesn't make anyone feel bad but I suddenly realized how far I've come (all-be-it sooner than most in our group) and I wanted to celebrate just a little. Perhaps the hysterectomy really was a new beginning for me

Hang in there, all of you brave ladies. There are better days to come.

Love and hugs to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystergo
My update for the week:

Youngest daughter was injured during her softball game and an ambulance is taking her to the emergency room for a cervical spine injury. So long story short, she ended up diagnosed with a cervical strain but we spent the evening/night in the trauma center/ER with her in a neck brace getting CT scans and MRIs.
How absolutely scary for you. I'm glad you're daughter is going to be okay and my heart goes out to you for having to go through all of that right now. Being miserable yourself and then having to worry about and be there for your daughter...

Take extra good care of yourself.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Hi ladies

Just a play on words isnt it odd how 'rectum' is part of the word hysterectomy?! (at least by sound) Its just that the farting and pooing is such a significant factor in recovery lol!

You know, yesterday as I sat on a bench to wait for my taxi, and the whole world rushed by me practically making me dizzy I happened to look up and amidst the clouds was a plane slowly honking it through the skies. I thought to myself, yeah thats how slowly im moving compared with every person and car around me. Then it dawned on me. The planes speed was disceptive, it was appearing to go slow but was travelling faster than any of these cars ... AND it had huge power to boot. I felt invited to think of myself in the same way. Appearing to move slowly but actually covering a lot of ground powerfully. A good metaphor for us ladies!!??
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Hystergo, so scary for you and your family. I am so glad that your daughter is going to be okay. Take care of yourself!

Dke, I am so glad you are doing so well. Don't feel bad about it!

Today is one day closer to full recovery. Yesterday, I forgot to take my Ibuprofen in the afternoon, so I ended up going 8 hours without, not something I recommend ladies. I had to take pain pills last night to get back on top of the pain. I won't make that mistake again Today, I get to go get my nails done. What fun!

Have a wonderful day everyone, and take care of yourselves!
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM

Hello Ladies,

This is the first time I am posting since my surgery on 2/28. Tomorrow will be two weeks. I had a radical hysterectomy, had a large softball size cyst on left ovary. No cancer, thankfully. I am actually feeling better than I ever expected to at this point. Have really been keeping things lowkey, very afraid of overdoing. I have started walking up the street. I walked a few miles daily before surgery, but want to build up again slowly.

Since I came home from the hospital have only had to use Mortin 400 m for the pain. Regular bowel movements thanks to stool softners every evening. I have a vertical incision and wonder if any of you experience more discomfort on one side than the other. The left side seems to be more swollen than the right and much more tender feeling. When I went to the doctor for my post-op last Wednesday he removed the staples and thought everything is doing well. The nurse said most woman report experiencing more pain on one side than the other. Just wondering if any of you have experienced this.

Regards to all and Happy Healing.

Glory
Unread 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Day 12 and doing well!

Hi, all:

Day 12 here and I am doing well.

Hystergo: I will keep your daughter in my prayers!

Sisterkris: Very funny finding "rectum" (or its homophone) in "hysterectomy". Cracked me up! My big post-op panic was getting my bowels going again. I didn't think that was every going to happen. According to my doc, I did an excellent job on that clean-out process so there was not much to move out. Citrucel, recommended by my doc, is working very well for me. Just make sure you do it with lots of liquid and be patient with it. It's not an instantaneous solution.

I walked on the treadmill yesterday, went to class last night and even put out a few work-related proposals today. I write curriculum and teach financial software (boring accounting stuff), so there's no heavy lifting involved with my work. I'm glad my brain still functions. There were a few days on the Vicodin where it just didn't. I'm glad to say that fog has lifted.

Before surgery, I had a huge fibroid sitting on my bladder so I was up and down several times at night. Last night, I only got up once and then went right back to sleep. I am sure that finally getting real, quality sleep is helping my recovery. Today feels almost "normal" as long as you don't punch my tummy. That would hurt. Ow!

My prayers for a speedy recovery are with you ALL!
Unread 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Hello ladies:

I just love reading your posts every day. Please don't stop writing.

This is day 12 post-op, and I'm sitting here on my couch recliner with a kitty at my feet and a doggie in my lap laying her head against my chest. The temperature outside is mild, and I have the sliding glass door open to let in some air. All I can hear are the birds chirping and my laptop humming, and I'm feeling extremely blessed and grateful for the life I have.

I'm still dealing with some diarrhea since taking the Milk of Magnesia the other night. I overdid it yesterday with what my husband estimates was a one mile walk. It was my first walk since surgery and I suppose I should have paced myself a bit more. I also managed to bake some brownies and cook dinner. Hubby was great by helping out and doing the dishes. Just think I spent too much time on my feet. Felt discomfort most on my left side. No incisions, so it's all internal. Only took two Vicodin and Motrin yesterday. Started today out by taking both. As I've read, it's three steps forward, two steps back. In addition, I'm told it'll be six months until I'm completely back to normal. One day at a time, that's all we have.

dke: Please don't ever apologize for doing well. We all need to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Think of this forum as a marriage -- in sickness and in health. Your words inspire the rest of us, so please continue posting.

hystergo: Sorry to hear about your daughter. I'm sure the stress associated with that has exacerbated your pain level. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue on your road of recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Enjoy the rest of your day ladies. I look forward to "chatting" with you tomorrow. You are the highlight of my day, something to look forward to.

Hugs everyone,
Unread 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessj
This is the first time I am posting since my surgery on 2/28.
Welcome to the forum Glory. Keep coming back!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register