Surgery postponed! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery postponed! Surgery postponed!

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Surgery postponed!

Hi all. I'm new to the site. My surgery (radical hysterectomy) was due to take place this coming Friday, 9th September.

Because I've been ill with stomach issues (ulcers) the hospital advised me to speak with my gynocologist about postponing. He agreed.

That's great in a way because I am too weak to undergo surgery right now. My new surgery date is October 28th. Not too pleased since it's close to Halloween, but I wanted the Da Vinci robot surgery and also wanted the first available appointment for that day.

I was wondering what exercises I should do that might help me recuperate better, and what vitamins/foods I could start taking in to really build up my strength.

Also, does anyone recommend having blood on hand (getting relative to donate) just in case?

I have a prolapsed uterus (feels like it's peeping out a lot of the time), and had some spotting. I went into early menopause a couple years ago, so this was kind of weird to experience for several weeks. The CT Scan and vaginal ultrasound showed fibroid tumours.

No real back pain, but lots of problems needing to urinate all the time and that pressure between my legs.

Everything will be removed, which I suppose is fine since I don't have a period anymore, but will this cause me more problems regarding menopause symptoms even though I've already gone through that? Will I notice any change in mood?

Appreciate any help. Glad I found the site. It's wonderful and has so much information!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Re: Surgery postponed!

Hi, I am not a doctor but if you are already in menopause I do not think there will be a significant change as far as menopause symptoms. I had a uterine prolapse too and I am so happy I had this operation. I can walk without a ball(uterus) between my legs and I can pee normally not dribbles like before plus it seems I am making fewer trips to the bathroom as I am assuming my uterus at times pressed against my bladder. Do not let anyone(even your doctor) tell you oh it is and easy surgery and recovery. My doctor said it is Major surgery no matter which kind of hysterectomy is performed and that internally it will take a long time to heal. I am 4 weeks post op and feeling much better than I thought I would at this point. I do feel extremely tired most of the time but getting better each day.
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM

My gyno told me it's an easy surgery by the Da Vinci system, and I should be up and about in a few days! I thought that sounded farfetched so figured I'd do some research and see what WOMEN had to say! Glad I found this site.

Clearly he's never had it done to him!

Thanks for your response.

Did you keep your ovaries? I wonder about having everything out and the rest of my organs falling down too. Maybe I should not read the horror stories just yet!
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah ah well could be true but my doctor told me when I had a laprascopic gall bladder removal "oh yeah you will be up and around and good as new the next day" yeah , no it was more like 2 weeks until I felt myself, also yes it is an easier surgery than most but it is still a hysterectomy regardless and you will need a lot of time to heal internally,
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM

oh yeah do not read post op until you already have had the surgery it scared the crap out of me, my husband threatened to block this site from the computer. I kept my ovaries but I am not in menopause yet , so it is a good source of estrogen still until they quit on me. I do not know what you should do, ask your doctor.
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM

I've heard (maybe it was on this site somewhere?) that doing Kegels is a good pre-op measure. I've been trying to remember to do them. I didn't ask my doctor about that, nor did I ask about any foods/vitamins to help. He did tell me to stop taking my multivitamin five days prior to surgery, but do check with yours before stopping or starting anything new!

As far as storing up blood in case you need a transfusion, that's another question that your doctor would be best at answering! Mine told me that in my case, it's unlikely I will need a transfusion -- but they are doing a type and match just in case. If you have a bleeding disorder or have needed transfusions with past surgeries I suppose it might be something to seriously consider. But ask your doctor, they know your medical history and they are the professionals! I personally am not worried about it, hospitals do keep blood on hand for transfusions and can get more quickly if it's needed.

Everyone recovers differently!!! I was up walking around pretty much back to normal the day after my last lap surgery. My graduation ceremony from college was the next day, and I would've made it if not for ending up back in the hospital d/t dehydration! ooooops. My sister had a lap gallbladder removal last year and was up and around the next day with no problems. It depends on you, and it's impossible to predict.

You are in my thoughts!!
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:43 PM

So nice to get such lovely responses. Thank you all.

I know we need doctors but sometimes they don't always know what to say.

I had gallbladder surgery in 03 and had to quit working! It was awful. My symptoms were wore post op and I was in ER three times in two weeks,and at the doctor every week,

That was supposed to be an easy surgery! I know that my body takes awhile to get off the anesthesia and to heal so I am making plans for that.

Did anyone try to swim once the incisions heal? Wonder if it will be too hard on stomach muscles?
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM

I would exercise however you can. If you are physically stronger than I think it makes the recovery from surgery easier.
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:51 PM

I am walking at the park or swimming now, but wondered if anyone was able to do things like swimming after a couple weeks?

What about walking? How long before you're able to walk a couple miles?

What about the stationary bike? I imagine weights would be bad for awhile.
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:19 PM

kren

I believe this as well..I'm getting in as many power walks as i can

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register