Hyserectomy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyserectomy questions Hyserectomy questions

Unread 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
questions to ask gyn before hysto

Hello,
I had my 3rd lap in June. ON Lupron depo now. Had last lap in June . Since then my gyn has moved out of state. I am suppose to be able to use the other female doc there.
My old gyn and I have had plans to take uterus out for a while and I also have adenomyosis with uterus. I hope that the gyn I am going to see now will continue the plans of hysto. I am very scared she won't want to.
I am having a lot of pain on the Lupron depo, as well a lot of discharge and mucus and now spotting blood. So i am going in tommarow to make sure I have no infection or something going on. Little sharp sharp pains.

Anyhow I have few questions:
1- wanted anyone to give advice on any questions I should ask this lady gyn tommarow about hysto or anything you can think of.
2- Has anyone here taken or been on lupron depo? If so did you bleed on it?
Thanks all for reading this.

Oh the type of hysto we are planning on doing is just uterus taken out and cervix. I am not sure I want cervix gone though. She wants to leave ovaries in since I am so young. I am 29 and have Endo as well,l have had endo for 11 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
hysterectomy for endo/adeno questions???

I just saw gyn, she is a new one.First time i am seeing her as she has taken over my old gyn who moved out of state.

I am on Lupron Depo and having a lot of pain and spotting blood. I feel like I am on a very bad period, thats how bad my pain is.

She asked if I was ready to get it taken out and I said yes. She is going to have her scheduler call me to schedule it in early fall. Meaning End of October or November. I am excited. i have been waiting for this, only hoping it will atleast help my pain.

Only thing is she was talking about taking ovaries out? Anyone with any opinions on this please talk of you experience of having a hysto with ovaries left in and with ovaries taken out.

I originally was against leaving ovaries in because I thought it would leave place for endo to grow, then I became ok with leaving them in because I wouldn't have to take hrt but then also she said leaving them in would lessen my chance of heart attack.

And she was talking of doing the abdominal one. Said she wasn't sure yet she would have to look at my last op reports.
Any experience on any kind of that would help too. I wana get all this in order before scheduler call.
She didn't stay in long at all before she left and couldn't get all questions asked.
Also, I am worried of loosinng any sex drive i do have being w/o ovaries and on hrt. Does any one have experience on that?
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Re: Hyserectomy questions

First off, let me start by saying, I'm so sorry that you are going through this, but it is great that you have been scheduled and can maybe see some light at the end of the tunnel.

As far as my experience goes, my surgeon took the ovaries, but that really doesn't affect the endo because it can make it's own estrogen supply, so with or without your ovaries, the endo can keep giving you issues. However, if you have the endo removed through excision, you have a better chance at relief.

I had my endo excised at the time of my hysterectomy and I have never felt better. I know there are risks to not having you ovaries as well as taking HRT, but that was the right thing for me personally. I have had no issues with HRT so far. I never lost my sex drive, in fact, I think it has improved since I am not in pain all the time. I also take a baby asprin everyday to help prevent heart attack and stroke but that was what MY doctor recommended.

I had an abdominal hyster. and that was (again) the best thing for me. It will depend on your surgeon and what he/she is qualified and comfortable doing. Less invasive would be the best thing, but that is not always possible.

I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming surgery and hope you feel like a new person when it is all over!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 02:51 AM

Hi
I am 29 too, and scheduled for a hyst for sept 19th, due to both endo, suspected adeno, and ovarian cysts. I am getting the ovaries removed, but like traci said, the endo can still cause problems with or without the ovaries. I am hopefully going to have a LAVH, unless DR gets in there and decides that I have too much scarring etc. Just make sure your doctor is experienced with removing endo, because it doesnt just die out- it can continue to cause pain and spread if it is left. I have to say I have been obsessing over this issue because I don't want to be in this same possition of being in terrible pain all the time a year from now because they missed some. I am trying to not obsess so much, but is tough. I am going through with the hyst. though, because I feel like that is my best choice right now. If the endo "comes back" I'll deal with it then. I am going to be taking HRT, because surgical menopause is really tough from what I've heard. I am hoping it does not give me more migraines though because I have had that problem with most hormone therapies. On a positive note, I actually just found out that a long time family friend had endo, and after having a hyst at 29 for a different reason all together, her pain never came back ( 20 years later). So...there is hope for us. I wish you the best.
Merr
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merr View Post
Hi
I am 29 too, and scheduled for a hyst for sept 19th, due to both endo, suspected adeno, and ovarian cysts. I am getting the ovaries removed, but like traci said, the endo can still cause problems with or without the ovaries. I am hopefully going to have a LAVH, unless DR gets in there and decides that I have too much scarring etc. Just make sure your doctor is experienced with removing endo, because it doesnt just die out- it can continue to cause pain and spread if it is left. I have to say I have been obsessing over this issue because I don't want to be in this same possition of being in terrible pain all the time a year from now because they missed some. I am trying to not obsess so much, but is tough. I am going through with the hyst. though, because I feel like that is my best choice right now. If the endo "comes back" I'll deal with it then. I am going to be taking HRT, because surgical menopause is really tough from what I've heard. I am hoping it does not give me more migraines though because I have had that problem with most hormone therapies. On a positive note, I actually just found out that a long time family friend had endo, and after having a hyst at 29 for a different reason all together, her pain never came back ( 20 years later). So...there is hope for us. I wish you the best.
Merr

It is hard not to obsess I think. There are mornings when I wake up and may have a "twinge" of pain and I think to myself..."oh no, is the endo back???", but then I just realize that it is a completely different pain all together and remind myself that I am still healing. It is scary though. I don't think a day will ever go by that I don't worry that it is going to "come back". I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I am done with it for good!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register