Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 20-Jan 26,2020 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 20-Jan 26,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 20-Jan 26,2020

Unread 02-01-2020, 01:59 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 20-Jan 26,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowartmc View Post
Welcome home!!! It’s good to know I’m not the only one who hasn’t braved being home by myself yet. My surgery was last Thursday, the 23rd, and beforehand I thought I’d be back at my own house by Monday. It’s been a week and I’m still at Mom’s! It’s been nice to have the extra help, but mainly it’s been nice to have the company. Feel like I’ll be lonely once I go home by myself....
Glad your recovery is going well and you’re enjoying being in your own home...bet your own bed will feel amazing tonight!!
@cowartmc the TLC was great, and I probably would have stayed at my Mom's just a bit longer, but I had a delivery scheduled at my apartment and decided to return home.

One of the things I'm missing at my Mom's (aside from the nice company and home-cooked meals) is the remote-controlled adjustable bed I was sleeping on. Returning to a conventional mattress is a bit tough even though I'm feeling better.

I also got a bit cocky on my first day home and was probably moving around a bit more than I should have been. I wasn't doing any lifting or anything strenuous, but just moving (bending, reaching, twisting my torso) more than I should have been. Boy did I feel it this morning! I felt like I'd just gotten out of the hospital. Spent today resting on the couch and reading.

I completely understand why women often say they feel like they're suddenly backsliding and feeling a bit worse around the Week 3 mark or so. All of the residual anaesthetic has left our bodies - many of us have finished our prescription meds, and we're testing the waters to see what we're capable of. Unfortunately it's a process of trial and error. Even if you're not doing anything particularly strenuous, we use our core muscles in such subtle ways, that we can really get sore from small movements or sitting in a particular position.

I'm finding that standing/walking feels most comfortable for me. I have to remind myself not to spend too much time sitting upright in a chair. Laying flat in bed is awkward & uncomfortable as well. I'm normally a side-sleeper and I'm still too tender to do that right now - laying on my back (even propped on pillows) is unnatural and hurts my lower back. Being in a semi- reclining position on the couch seems to work best.

I'm getting really good at using my little grabber pole so that I don't have to bend down to pick up dropped objects. Bending is the worst!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2020, 05:35 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 20-Jan 26,2020

Well, I was feeling really good yesterday once again! Took a short drive by myself to grab some new books at the library, and, well, that must have been too much. I even weighed the books at home to make sure I didn't go over 10 lbs! (My kids and I are all voracious readers) driving was ok, although abit uncomfortable. I could really feel my abs working to hold me up. By the time I was checking out new books (I was only in there for about 5 minutes) I was really hurting. Went home and reclined on the couch with a heating pad. Fast forward to 7pm, and I now had bright red spotting. Went up to bed and by 10 the spoting had lessened.
This morning, the pain and spotting are still there and I am feeling a fullness down there. I think I read somewhere that feeling of fullness is normal as the vaginal cuff heals, and spotting too, but I guess because it is a different feeling, it is freaking me out a bit. Ugh!
Unread 02-01-2020, 10:09 AM

I am a little late to this forum! I hope that is okay, I had a friend remind me of this community today and figured I would pop in.

I had a total hysterectomy on January 22nd with removal of cervix, tubes, and uterus due to finding hyperplasia during my excision surgery for endometriosis in October as well as presenting with multiple symptoms of adenomyoisis and having a history of abnormal biopsies and endometritis. During surgery we discovered that my left ovary (my most symptomatic ovary) was completely filled with endometriosis and had to be removed. My remaining ovary had an endometrioma removed from it but as I am 23 and it hasn't been too symptomatic in the past, my surgeon decided to keep it to keep me out of menopause. Luckily other than discovering my ovaries were worsening my surgery was fairly uneventful and she was even able to go through the incisions that I already had from my prior surgery, not that I mind a couple more scars.

During my hospital stay I experienced a lot of low blood pressure issues due to not eating solid food for 48 hours (I was scheduled late in the day) combined with a sensitivity to pain medication. I also had high pain levels immediately after due to a lot of muscle spasms (I have a couple autoimmune conditions that do not enjoy surgery) but once my care team found a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory that worked for me, I was able to be discharged the next day. I am fortunate to live with my parents and have a nurse as a father so I felt really comfortable at home.

After my excision surgery I pretty much immediately had a bad case of endometritis, so right off the bat I felt better after my hysterectomy as the constant pain and bleeding that I've had for years was gone. I am still pretty sore a week out and notice I'm still cramping if I miss a dose of the muscle relaxers, but the spotting has completely stopped and as someone who used to bleed all but a week out of every month I can't be more thrilled. I did however go from ravenously eating everything immediately after surgery to barely having an appetite at all-I'm used to having a low appetite from symptoms of my other illnesses, but this is a little more than just not wanting to eat. Except for very specific cravings (avocado sushi is one, don't ask me why!) I am forcing myself to eat to keep my nutrition up. Smoothies have been my best friend, haha.

This surgery was something I agonized over when I scheduled it, but I'm feeling really good about my decision based on how I'm feeling even while healing. I've had issues with my uterus since I was 15 so I always knew in the back of my head that a hysterectomy might be something I'd have to deal with, but I definitely did not expect it so young. The menopause-like symptoms haven't been too bad luckily- I had the awful experience of being placed on Orlissa and did not tolerate the drug at all so compared to that experience the hot flashes haven't been too terrible and the mood swings are tolerable.

So, a week out things aren't as bad as I was expecting, and I'm excited to see how I start to improve! The only thing I'm a little worried about is the pathology report (I have an appointment on the 6th to go over everything with my surgeon) but once I have it in my hands I think I will feel a lot better.

I hope everyone is having a lovely Saturday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2020, 12:30 PM

Welcome! We are on the same exact schedule-op on the 22nd and follow-up on the 6th. I’m very nervous about my appointment/results as my surgery was for uterine cancer. I hope you are resting comfortably and are getting your avocado sushi lol along with everything else you want and need!!!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletLark View Post
I am a little late to this forum! I hope that is okay, I had a friend remind me of this community today and figured I would pop in.

I had a total hysterectomy on January 22nd with removal of cervix, tubes, and uterus due to finding hyperplasia during my excision surgery for endometriosis in October as well as presenting with multiple symptoms of adenomyoisis and having a history of abnormal biopsies and endometritis. During surgery we discovered that my left ovary (my most symptomatic ovary) was completely filled with endometriosis and had to be removed. My remaining ovary had an endometrioma removed from it but as I am 23 and it hasn't been too symptomatic in the past, my surgeon decided to keep it to keep me out of menopause. Luckily other than discovering my ovaries were worsening my surgery was fairly uneventful and she was even able to go through the incisions that I already had from my prior surgery, not that I mind a couple more scars.

During my hospital stay I experienced a lot of low blood pressure issues due to not eating solid food for 48 hours (I was scheduled late in the day) combined with a sensitivity to pain medication. I also had high pain levels immediately after due to a lot of muscle spasms (I have a couple autoimmune conditions that do not enjoy surgery) but once my care team found a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory that worked for me, I was able to be discharged the next day. I am fortunate to live with my parents and have a nurse as a father so I felt really comfortable at home.

After my excision surgery I pretty much immediately had a bad case of endometritis, so right off the bat I felt better after my hysterectomy as the constant pain and bleeding that I've had for years was gone. I am still pretty sore a week out and notice I'm still cramping if I miss a dose of the muscle relaxers, but the spotting has completely stopped and as someone who used to bleed all but a week out of every month I can't be more thrilled. I did however go from ravenously eating everything immediately after surgery to barely having an appetite at all-I'm used to having a low appetite from symptoms of my other illnesses, but this is a little more than just not wanting to eat. Except for very specific cravings (avocado sushi is one, don't ask me why!) I am forcing myself to eat to keep my nutrition up. Smoothies have been my best friend, haha.

This surgery was something I agonized over when I scheduled it, but I'm feeling really good about my decision based on how I'm feeling even while healing. I've had issues with my uterus since I was 15 so I always knew in the back of my head that a hysterectomy might be something I'd have to deal with, but I definitely did not expect it so young. The menopause-like symptoms haven't been too bad luckily- I had the awful experience of being placed on Orlissa and did not tolerate the drug at all so compared to that experience the hot flashes haven't been too terrible and the mood swings are tolerable.

So, a week out things aren't as bad as I was expecting, and I'm excited to see how I start to improve! The only thing I'm a little worried about is the pathology report (I have an appointment on the 6th to go over everything with my surgeon) but once I have it in my hands I think I will feel a lot better.

Unread 02-01-2020, 03:49 PM

I had my surgery on 1/24- I’m feeling great. Just taking ibuprofen. Headed back to work on 2/3. I have a light appointment schedule and can take sitting breaks. I’ve been walking a lot and I feel great. Looking forward to getting back to normal.

My regular work jeans fit again. But scratch my incisions a bit- gotta here a camisole for protection.

I know- don’t over do it. Don’t lift more then 8lb.

Happy to be moving forward
Unread 02-01-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinefordays View Post
Well, I was feeling really good yesterday once again! Took a short drive by myself to grab some new books at the library, and, well, that must have been too much. I even weighed the books at home to make sure I didn't go over 10 lbs! (My kids and I are all voracious readers) driving was ok, although abit uncomfortable. I could really feel my abs working to hold me up. By the time I was checking out new books (I was only in there for about 5 minutes) I was really hurting. Went home and reclined on the couch with a heating pad. Fast forward to 7pm, and I now had bright red spotting. Went up to bed and by 10 the spoting had lessened.
This morning, the pain and spotting are still there and I am feeling a fullness down there. I think I read somewhere that feeling of fullness is normal as the vaginal cuff heals, and spotting too, but I guess because it is a different feeling, it is freaking me out a bit. Ugh!
Sweetie,
I am sorry but it does sound like you overdid it.
New spotting is your body's way to tell you that you overdid it.
The fullness is swelling: Every time you feel a tampon feeling or just general fullness, that is swelling. And just like a sprained ankle will swell more with activity , so will your bladder or your general tummy area or your vagina.
Sorry, but you need to rest rest rest!
Check whether the spotting persists and if it's a lot of spotting or still bright red- then call your doc.
Bright red spotting is new blood, that's never good.
Let us know how you are feeling, and what you find out from your doc, please!
xoxo
Unread 02-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Sweetie, I am glad you found us and so glad you are in good spirits.
Hearing you so positive is nothing short of amazing, you came from so much pain, and even though you are far from well right now, I applaud your faith and attitude.
Keep it up, and rest up, sweetie, you have been through so much.
xoxo
Unread 02-01-2020, 09:50 PM

Cowartmc, I can’t imagine having six preps right now! We don’t have set texts or curricula (and no texts for the students) so I have to get creative. I’ve actually done this in other positions, and I’m in my second year here, so it’s not so bad when I’m in the classroom. But for sub plans, especially for someone who isn’t content area, it’s insane! At least I can do a fair amount of overlap in the sciences.

I went to the hair appt this morning... Driving was cake. Leaving early was a little unfortunate, ironically, as I got there 20 minutes early and the salon chairs were less than comfy. My upper right ab was not pleased. But as soon as I stood, and got back in the car, it was fine. No residual pain, and no ibuprofen beyond the preemptive strike this morning. I was aware of having done more when I got home, but not enough to nap. We’ll see how everything feels in the morning, but right now I still feel pretty good.
Unread 02-01-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:

So glad to hear you are looking on the bright side of things! Sounds like you have had it rough so hopefully this will be a brand new start for you! Good luck on your appointment!
Unread 02-02-2020, 08:28 PM

sweeties-

Yay, you got your hair done- I love it.
I thought it was too much for you but you did it! :sunshine:
I bet you feel better. I know I always do.
And I was so excited the first time I was able to shave my legs!

The little victories we celebrate

Hope you had fun watching the super bowl (commercials) tonight.
I know I did (the commercials).
xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register