KEPT UTERUS - Ovaries removed: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Kept Uterus - No Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

KEPT UTERUS - Ovaries removed: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them KEPT UTERUS - Ovaries removed: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them

Unread 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM
KEPT UTERUS - Ovaries removed: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them

Hi all! I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op. Although my surgeon decided to keep my uterus in place, I had both tubes and ovaries removed, so am definitely dealing with the fun of surgical menopause. (I'm 42, so I hadn't hit even perimenopause just yet.)

I'm frustrated a bit because I am starting to feel good, energy is still low, but not terrible... but I'm struggling with heart palpitations, and they are driving me crazy! I had 2 bad episodes about 1 week post-op where they started at night, lasted for an hour and the kind of continued mildly most of the next day. I went to my GP and had the gamut of tests: ekg, blood work, echocardiogram, holter monitor. Nothing major was found. (some slight issues with irregularities in the electrical impulses... but supposedly somewhat common.) My surgeon thought that HRT might resolve them.

Well, I've been on HRT for just over a week now and had an awful day today with the palpitations. They started up at 10pm last night and have been off and on all day today.

I know the tests were all clear, but I still find this very scary! And very uncomfortable! And it seems like my doc isn't very clear on the relationship between estrogen and heart palpitations.

Has anyone else experienced long stretches of palpitations like this? (off and on for hours or a whole day?) Did they eventually calm down as you settled into HRT? Its making me tired and anxious and I'm feeling pretty down. I feel almost as though I've traded one set of problems for another...
I'd love any stories of similar experiences or advice for things that helped you to calm your palpitations when they happened...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Re: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them

It might be worth posting in the menopause part of the site, since that's your possible problem.
I had lots of scary palpitation events pre-op because of very low haemoglobin but haven't been active enough since to set them off again and am presumably now in a much better state anyway. I've had them on and off through peri-menopause too.
Unread 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Re: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them

Oh! Thank you!
That's a good suggestion. I guess I sort of straddle the line between "recovering" and "menopause" here. I'm new and just learning where everything is.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM

I hope you find some helpful answers!
Unread 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM

My dr suggested that cutting out caffeine would probably help, and it really did
Unread 04-15-2019, 06:47 PM

Thank you. I cut out caffeine before the surgery...
Thank you for the suggestion though! That's exactly what I'm looking for now... things to try while I wait to see if they might go away while my body adjusts to the HRT.
I'm having a palpitation about every 15 minutes today and it is just driving me nuts. Arrgh.
Unread 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM

Not related to my surgery, but I’ve had heart palpitations on and off for several years. After cutting out caffeine, and getting regular exercise, what has helped me is a low dose of beta-blocker. I’ve been taking them daily for about 4 years and have many fewer episodes like the ones you describe. Before my Dr prescribed them I did all the tests you did, plus a 30-day monitor, which showed PACs and PVCs (neither dangerous, but definitely annoying). Now, I have occasional palpitations when very anxious or under a lot of stress, but nothing like what I used to experience. I know my experience is a little different than yours, but I know how scary those can feel and just wanted to let you know what worked for me. Take care!
Unread 04-15-2019, 10:00 PM

I have had PVCs, or irregular rhythm’s that are benign after each of my three surgeries this year. I am on a beta blocker now because they would go on for hours at a time. So very annoying. I feel your pain!
Unread 04-15-2019, 10:13 PM
KEPT UTERUS - Ovaries removed: Heart Palpitations - What were yours like and any advice on getting through them

Hello,

I don't know if this is the same thing but when I was in the hospital during night one, my heart rate while sleeping was in the 150's. I didnt even realize something was wrong until the next day. While laying in bed, I'd start shaking. If I got up, it went away. They did all the tests and it showed I had afib...probably as a result of surgery.

I ended up staying one extra night because it continued to happen the next day. They ran the tests again and it showed the afib was gone. As a result, I've been on metoprolol, it's a blood pressure medicine that prevents the rapid heart rate, also a beta blocker like someone else commented. I hadon't high but controlled blood pressure prior to surgery. After surgery it took a while to get back to normal.

I only have one ovary, everything else is gone. No HRT.

It could also be anxiety. I know some people who have the rapid heart rate when they are having an axiety attack. Or just your body's was of getting used to the new you.

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out soon.
Unread 04-16-2019, 06:25 AM

I've moved your thread here to the Kept Uterus - No Ovaries forum and hope you'll get some further input from members who can relate.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register