Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Just got out of preop appointment! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Just got out of preop appointment! Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Just got out of preop appointment!

Unread 09-15-2021, 05:12 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Just got out of preop appointment!

Hello! My surgery is on 9/24 though the hospital will call next thursday to see what time I need to show up. All in all the appointment went well. Doc said I didn't have to do a bowel prep, huzzah! I think I will still keep it light the day before.

Forgot to ask if I was keeping my cervix or not but I'm getting a copy of the op report so I imagine it'll be there. Or I can ask him at the post op in October.

Final wait is here, let's goooo! Good luck out there, friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2021, 05:17 PM
Re: Just got out of preop appointment!

It's probably getting more real to you now that you have had that appointment. I'm happy for you that your doctor isn't requiring bowel prep. I was spared that as well.

If your surgery type is the LAVH that is in your profile, your cervix will be removed. If you are a candidate to keep your cervix and feel strongly about it, you need to let your doctor know as soon as possible. The LSH and SAH are two examples of partial hysterectomies, meaning the cervix portion of the uterus is left intact. A total hysterectomy, such as the LAVH, TVH, TLH, TAH remove the entire uterus, which includes removal of the cervix portion.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery and for your recovery!

Unread 09-15-2021, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info! I don't really care if it's still there or not- just curious as to what was gonna happen to it. Yes, it's still a LAVH. It does feel more real now. Got a little bit of stuff to do and then packing and then I'll be ready to go :3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2021, 06:45 PM

if you're having a vaginal hysterectomy, your cervix will be removed. if you want to keep it, let your dr know so the type of surgery you have can be changed.
Unread 09-16-2021, 05:27 PM

My OBGYN asks in the surgery room so all can hear my response to the question of what is being removed. She told me I had until the moment of surgery to decide as the operation would be the same (mine was a question of keeping ovaries or not). So 8 am sharp, she said, "And what are you having done today." I replied, "Hysterectomy" and then she said, "What parts are we removing>" And I had to answer and she helped me fill in what I couldn't think of to say where I said yes. Probably a good protocol to ensure they don't do something unexpected.

I asked for my records on my 6-week post-op including the pathology report. I only did that as people here suggested it. I am SO glad I did. I want to know details. It was there I discovered there had been non-cancerous cysts on one fallopian tube and one on my cervix. I don't know much more about what would have happened if I'd left them, but at least I don't need to find out now that they are removed.

Best wishes with all.
Unread 09-16-2021, 07:53 PM

I'm going to get a copy of the op report too (I'm a big nerd) so I'm oddly looking forward to it. I think I will be okay. :3 Thanks for the best wishes!
Unread 09-16-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenreine View Post
I'm going to get a copy of the op report too (I'm a big nerd) so I'm oddly looking forward to it. I think I will be okay. :3 Thanks for the best wishes!
Hi,
If you are interested you may also want to ask for pics. I was given pic of removed uterus, ovaries and tubes.
Unread 09-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Just got out of preop appointment!

Brocky, I would have loved to see my "lady parts" (as the obgyn like to say which I found annoying) photos! I wouldn't have had the nerve to ask.
Unread 09-17-2021, 09:33 AM

I asked and he said he'd try to remember to take pictures but not to yell at him if he forgets XD He's a silly doctor but I have complete confidence in him.
Unread 09-17-2021, 06:03 PM

Hi Ravenreine,

Although you said you are not concerned about keeping your cervix, I would encourage you to consider keeping any organ if your doctor thinks is a healthy option for you. I begged to keep even one ovary, but alas, that wasn’t an option for me.

Here are many interesting articles and interesting discussions on whether or not to keep one’s cervix:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vi...287j1067631j12

We will be here for you on your journey no matter how you decide.

Best of luck for a safe surgery and good recovery.

PS - luckily for me, I obtained a copy of my Op Report as my surgeon “forgot” to tell me he did an extensive bladder lift/repair. I was shocked to find this out!

❤️

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register