Introduction Surgery 2/08 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Introduction Surgery 2/08 Introduction Surgery 2/08

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Introduction Surgery 2/08

What a great site this is. I found it by doing a search. So much support.

I am scheduled for a TAH and have requested to keep one ovary and my cervix. This is my second scheduled surgery. I chickened out the first time over a year ago. I have very large fibroids and can't put it off any longer.

It has not been an easy road to get here. I had to fire one doctor and go to another in the same practice. Surprisingly, the first was a female, and she had the beside manner of a dead fish. She was a Bit_h of the highest order. I had my appointment for a surgical consultation scheduled a month ahead of time, and of course I was bleeding heavily on the day of my appointment which seemed to make her mad. She then told me that she would have to do a vertical incision because I had waited too long (this came off as a threat). I was in alot of pain during the visit and explained to her that I was not sleeping at night that ibruprofen in massive doses was okay during the day when I was busy (still in pain but moving around helped take my mind off it) but at night I felt that I needed something stronger. She said she would give me a small prescription for nightime. Come to find out when I got to the drugstore it was a sleeping pill. Now the last thing I wanted was a sleeping pill. I called the office and spoke to her nurse, who said no problem she would speak to the DR. it must have been a mistake. She called me back and told me that NO the doc wanted me to try the sleeping pills. I reiterated that that was not going to happen, and asked the doc to call me to explain that I had a real concern now about post op pain management if this doctor who examined me that day, saw how exhausted and in pain I was wasn't willing to prescribe pain meds. Needless to say, I didn't hear back from her so went to my primary phy. who referred me to another doc a male in the same practice. After speaking to a friend of mine who is an OR tech, I concluded that he was the most meticulous surgeon around. He agreed to see me right away. He was wonderful. And assured me that he would be able to use the incision or something very close to it, and that he would not consider doing a vertical because it would be a weak point with my old c-section scar. He told me that it was not the first complaint he had received about the female doctor in his practice, and he was going to speak to her. He fired her for me.

Anyway, that's my story. I also am very nervous about the surgery. I live in a pretty remote area and don't have friends nearby to help out the first week. It looks as though I will be home alone during the day for the first week after surgery. Anyone else out there that did that? Any problems? I figure I'll be in bed most of the time anyway. But I will miss my computer, and am hoping that a new laptop appears before the surgery so I can stay connected!

Sue
:chicken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:51 AM

Hi Sue: I am two weeks pre op. These are a few hints that I have picked up while I've been here. I can't take credit for any of these suggestions, but I don't know who originally posted them to give proper credit:

VERY IMPORTANT: have anything you might need at waist-level. This includes toilet paper, pads, clothing, cups, food, plates, etc. If you’re going to be alone, make sure the phone is where you can reach it at ALL times! Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc. some Ensure, which went down ok. You may want to have some of that in the fridge for times you just don’t feel like eating, but need nourishment. Have a tummy pillow handy at all times! This would be a small pillow that you hold against your abdomen when you have to sneeze or cough.

This one is mine: whenever I see a tip that I want to remember I cut and paste it into a word file. I am up to 5 pages. Thsi is in addition to the stuff that you'll find on the pull down menus on the main page.
Unread 01-22-2002, 07:52 AM
Hello Fellow Chicken

I, too, am the world's biggest chicken. I needed a bladder suspension for 12 years before I finally did it in August. I went to 4 different gyns, because I was so scared. Finally in June I decided to do it, and went back to the original that took care of me in the hospital after my babies were born. (Doc that delivered retired.) I didn't want a hysterectomy, for some reason I had this thing about keeping my uterus. Can't explain, just didn't want a hysterectomy. The doc agreed, said my muscle tone was good, and shouldn't be a problem. When I went in for my 6 week check-up, my uterus had prolapsed, and I had to have the hysterectomy in December. I had a TAH, kept my ovaries but lost the cervix. It actually wasn't too bad, it would have been a lot easier than the bladder surgery, except I got a severe abdominal infection 4 days post op, and didn't go see the doctor until 2 week check-up. (I didn't realize it was an infection, I thought I was having horrible gas. I couldn't understand why the gas was so much worse this time.)
As for the female gyn, back when I was pregnant with my middle daughter, (1986) the doctor's office (the one that did my surgeries) got a female. She was unbelievable. She was snippy, rude and she always hurt me when she did a pelvic. She made fun of the fact that I had to be induced with my first baby, and my regular doctor thought I would with the second. I told the other 2 doctors I never wanted to see her again, and that if I went into labor on my own, if she was on call I would refuse her. Well, I had to be induced again, and by the time of my 6 week check-up she was gone.
Her name was the french word for Baker, just in case anyone runs into her. (At my check-up for my infection, the doctor and I were talking about her. He didn't defend her, just said he had heard patients didn't like her bedside manner.)

Jacquelyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 10:29 AM
We are surgery buddies...

My surgery is on the 8th too. I have alot of the same things going on as you. I had an ovary and tumor removed in 1996, so I kind of know what im getting into.

Im still very nervous though, more so than I though I would be. I have started the nesting phase already.

Well, hang in there, we have a found a great site with many great people to count on.

Hugs to you
Tammie
Unread 01-22-2002, 01:34 PM

Hi and welcome! I am SO glad you found a doctor who will give you the help that you need.

As far as being home alone, you will probably be okay, as long as you take some precautions and do some preparation ahead of time:

Once you're at home, you'll need to have some comfortable clothes to wear. I found men's pajamas very comfortable, because the large, drawstring waists came up well above my incision, and the button-up tops didn't have to go over my head (hard to get my arms up). You will probably want to have large, "granny-panties" in a size or two large than you normally wear (you will be swollen and sore!).

Have a tummy pillow handy at all times! This would be a small pillow that you hold against your abdomen when you have to sneeze or cough. Keep it where you can grab it with only a second’s notice! I had a sneeze sneak up on me once when I couldn’t grab my pillow – ouch! It felt like my insides exploded.

Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc. I had absolutely no appetite for a couple of weeks, and my frantic husband finally convinced me to drink some Ensure, which went down ok. You may want to have some of that in the fridge for times you just don’t feel like eating, but need nourishment.

Also, buy PLENTY of juice! You will need to drink LOTS of liquids when you get home to help with the gas. I got bored with the same type of juice, so my husband bought lots of different types, and put them in small containers for me (I found it difficult to lift and pour large containers for awhile). Don't drink anything carbonated, and don't use a straw (makes the gas worse).

WALKING is very helpful with the gas! Walk as often as is comfortable (my walks were VERY short and slow, but I did several a day), and it should really help get your bowels working smoothly again.

I also found a shower chair very helpful. Standing up long enough to shower wore me out! You could also use any plastic chair that will fit in your shower.

VERY IMPORTANT: have anything you might need at waist-level. This includes toilet paper, pads, clothing, cups, food, plates, etc. Believe me, you will NOT want to bend or reach for anything! The house may look cluttered for awhile with everything sitting out on counter tops, but it's worth it!

Make sure the phone is where you can reach it at ALL times! (even right outside the shower door). Several of us have gotten “stuck” (couldn’t get off the couch without help, problems in the bathroom, etc.), and have needed to call for assistance.

Once you’re feeling a bit better, you might start getting a bit bored. Unfortunately, you will be very limited in what you will be able to do. These are some things I did to pass the time, along with some suggestions from other hystersisters:

Reading LOTS of books
Writing long letters to friends and family (real letters, not e-mail!)
Organizing photo albums
Drew out plans for the garden
Bought a tape to improve Spanish skills
Watching lots of movies
Crafts, quilting, etc.
HYSTERSISTERS site!

Good luck and keep reading!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register