Tattoo Ideas for Surgery Commemoration | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tattoo Ideas for Surgery Commemoration Tattoo Ideas for Surgery Commemoration

Unread 12-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Tattoo Ideas for Surgery Commemoration

Hello!
I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of having my total hysterectomy. Since getting the surgery I knew I would want to get a tattoo to commemorate and honor my decision to get a hysterectomy. I also ended up having severe complications 10 days after surgery and had to go into emergency surgery along with a lot of blood transfusions to save my life. So something that would acknowledge that as well. I don't want something blatant or obvious, but something that would be meaningful to me without necessarily anyone else knowing what it was about. I also don't want text or script. I'm having a hard time thinking of what to get. I would love some ideas! The basic idea I'm trying to convey is that I do not need or want sympathy, I hate the shock and sadness people express when I say I've had the surgery. While I may feel these things for myself, I do not want others to assume I feel that way. I am happy with my decision. I was in excruciating pain constantly, and a year later the pain is still gone. I think I would also like to acknowledge I made it through a life threatening situation. Also - that I am no less of a woman just because I no longer have a uterus.
Thank you SO much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Re: Tattoo Ideas for Surgery Commemoration

Hmmm. Do you want the tattoo to actually be on your belly and if so, do you want it to incorporate your scars? Or were you thinking of a tattoo somewhere else that's more about the spirit of the event than the surgical details?
Unread 12-26-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Hmmm. Do you want the tattoo to actually be on your belly and if so, do you want it to incorporate your scars? Or were you thinking of a tattoo somewhere else that's more about the spirit of the event than the surgical details?
I haven't completely decided if it will be near or on my scars yet. Fortunately, my scars are barely noticeable at this point, so trying to incorporate my scars wouldn't make sense. I never thought I would get any tattoos on my abdomen, because I'm so self conscious of that area for weight reasons. However I'm also running out of space for tattoos so it may be one of my only options!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM

Yeah, the other thing about getting tattoos on your abdomen is that over time, gravity does its thing and you get a lot of sagging and distortion. I only have one tattoo, an owl I got on my shoulder for my 50th birthday. One of the reasons I picked that spot is that I figured it would wear well over the next few decades! :-)
Unread 12-26-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Yeah, the other thing about getting tattoos on your abdomen is that over time, gravity does its thing and you get a lot of sagging and distortion. I only have one tattoo, an owl I got on my shoulder for my 50th birthday. One of the reasons I picked that spot is that I figured it would wear well over the next few decades! :-)
yeah that is the other reason i never planned on getting tattoos on my abdomen. i will eventually be pretty much covered, and i do have quite a lot of tattoos currently, but i won't likely ever get anything on my abdomen.
Unread 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Hi,
I love your idea for a commemoration tattoo. Each of my tattoos have a story.
A lotus flower is the flower that blooms in adversity and also represents the womb, so it can represent the hysterectomy journey without really being obvious. Hope you find something that speaks to you
Unread 12-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimay View Post
Hi,
I love your idea for a commemoration tattoo. Each of my tattoos have a story.
A lotus flower is the flower that blooms in adversity and also represents the womb, so it can represent the hysterectomy journey without really being obvious. Hope you find something that speaks to you
I love this idea! I've actually had a lotus on my list of tattoos to get forever, just because they make pretty tattoos!
Unread 12-26-2018, 05:36 PM

My bestie and I got twinsy tattoos 2 yrs ago - not related to my hysterectomy - but it applies

I have 'Nevertheless she persisted' tattooed in a pretty font on my forearm. Its tasteful and meaningful and kind of feminist in the best kind of way

Do it girl - find a phrase or symbol that shows your strength and perseverance in 2018!
Unread 12-27-2018, 05:03 PM

My first thought was eagle's wings (as in being lifted up on the wings of eagles) and then I thought of the deeper meaning of the Phoenix - rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live again. It sounds like you've been given that.

I think the Lotus flower is a lovely idea as well!

Unread 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udella View Post
My bestie and I got twinsy tattoos 2 yrs ago - not related to my hysterectomy - but it applies

I have 'Nevertheless she persisted' tattooed in a pretty font on my forearm. Its tasteful and meaningful and kind of feminist in the best kind of way

Do it girl - find a phrase or symbol that shows your strength and perseverance in 2018!
"nevertheless she persisted" is one of my favorite quotes as well! i love that idea!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register