My journey to and from my TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My journey to and from my TAH My journey to and from my TAH

Unread 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
My journey to and from my TAH

My trip to this point has been a long one, but whose hasn't?

I always had very heavy periods. Lots of bleeding, horrible cramping, missed days of school because of it. I would always get really bad stomach pains and be in the bathroom for HOURS. I thought I had IBS, and that everything was normal because for me, it was.

I got married in 2000, and in 2002 suffered a miscarriage. It was devastating, but I was lucky and got pregnant a year later (one year to the DATE after I miscarried is when I found out I was preggo again, actually). At 21 weeks I dilated 3 cm and had to have a cerclage put in; then my water broke at 34 weeks and I had to have an emergency c-section. Luckily he was perfectly fine, but the recovery was horrible, and my periods afterwords got a LOT worse. I had my daughter in 2005 (again, with a cerclage, but she was late and ended up in NICU for a week) and much to my dismay, my periods continued to worsen. I would be in so much pain I wanted to hide, but couldn't with two kids, so I kept on trucking. Sex started to become more and more painful, to the point I'd cringe when the man I absolutely adore touched me, knowing how badly it would hurt during and afterwords.

It took me starting to spot in between periods, however, before I did anything about it.

Once I got in to the OB, she told me it sounded like I had endometriosis and adenomyosis. She ordered an ultrasound, and it was found that I had poly-cystic ovaries as well as cysts scattered on my uterus. My tubes were already tied (I couldn't risk getting pregnant again) so I agreed (I'd already done my research). My husband is in the Navy, so it was decided my surgery would be in August after he returned from his deployment. In the meantime, he left, I was taking care of the kids, and my pain was getting worse and worse. I talked to my doc, who ordered ANOTHER ultrasound, and that's when they discovered I had uterine fibriods as well. She moved my surgery date WAY up and I had to AmCross my husband so that he could get home in time, which he did.

I had my surgery on the 29th of July, at about 10 in the morning. I really remember coming around sometime that afternoon, and having NO appetite and just being tired. I attributed it to the pain pump I was on, and slept. Even once I'd wake up, I was incredibly tired and fuzzy, more than I was even after my spinal fusion. They kept coming in and taking my blood; finally my doctor came in and told me my blood count was dropping rapidly and they wanted to do an abdominal MRI. Once they did it was discovered that I was bleeding internally (apparently my bladder was nicked) and need a blood transfusion A.S.A.P. So it was done (it also caused my arm to bruise and swell up~I ended up having at LEAST 4 different IV sites). From there out I was doing okay; getting up and moving around (as SOON as you feel comfortable, it's the best thing you can do...CAREFULLY), eating, staying awake for longer...lol. I was released after 3 days. My doc told me before I left that I indeed DID have the endometriosis, adenomyosis, poly-cystic ovaries, AND uterine fibriods. The whole shebang.

Once I got home, things weren't bad. My mom had flown over to help take care of the kids and I, and my husband was off work for a week, so I had plenty of help. Then, about 48 hours later, I started running a fever of 103.1. I took my meds (mistake, according to the doctors), called my doc, and ended up in the E.R. They did a lot of blood work and monitored me for awhile, but released me after finding no reason for it. After a few more weeks my incision healed, the bruise (from the hemorrhaging) went away, and I started feeling a lot better, except for the hot flashes, night sweats, chills...except for the menopause! Wow, nothing really prepared me for it. Especially the night sweats.

And now here I am, almost 5-6 weeks post op, and feeling pretty good! I still have pain/swelling at the incision site, and had to go in today because apparently I ripped a muscle (doing too much, too soon). But it's NOTHING compared to what I was going through before. One sister to another, I'm most eager to experience sex with my husband again! I can only imagine how great it's going to be.

I must also say I am SO thankful to have found this site. I've been reading through many of the threads, and to know that I'm NOT alone, that other women out there are going through EXACTLY what I'm going through...it's SUCH a relief. And so many people responded to my first post so quickly...I hope to help as many women out here as I know are going to help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register