Scheduled TVH Hysterectomy 8/4: Starting to freak out! (Too short cervix previous surgery causing probs for hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy 8/4: Starting to freak out! (Too short cervix previous surgery causing probs for hysterectomy) Hysterectomy 8/4: Starting to freak out! (Too short cervix previous surgery causing probs for hysterectomy)

Unread 08-01-2015, 03:44 AM
Hysterectomy 8/4: Starting to freak out! (Too short cervix previous surgery causing probs for hysterectomy)

I just had my surgery consult with my doctor and it didn't go very well. I'm scheduled for a TVH Tuesday, August 4th (in 3 days!). My doctor told me my surgery is going to be very difficult.

A couple of years ago I had CIN3 and had a large part of my cervix removed. They removed too much and I've been having complications ever since. Lots of pain and scar tissue causing intimacy and menstrual issues. My doctors concern is if the cancer cells come back it would have no where to spread but "around" because there is hardly anything left of my cervix. The reason for the hysterectomy was to remove the cervix and decrease my risk of cancer.

At my pre-op appointment my doctor told me he doesn't think he'll be able to do a vaginal hysterectomy after all because there's not enough cervix to "clamp on to" ((Cringe)). He's also concerned my bladder is too close and could easily be perforated during surgery. which he did tell me could easily be fixed but I'll need a catheter for two weeks for stitches to heal.

I'm not a candidate for laparoscopic surgery because of the short cervix. ...and if he goes through the abdomen he says he can't remove my cervix (something about a ring, my short cervix and cutting too much vaginal tissue....I was trying not to pass out or throw up at this point).

He/we decided he will try to do the surgery vaginally and if he's unable he will switch to an abdominal hysterectomy (leaving the cervix).

The whole point of having the surgery was to remove my cervix and decrease my risk of cancer so this is really bumming me out knowing there is a chance he won't be able to remove it.

Also it's kinda scary not knowing what I'll wake up to. Will I be recovering from a vaginal hysterectomy or an abdominal...will I still have a cervix or not? Ugh! I'm feeling so frustrated and discouraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2015, 06:18 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/4: Starting to freak out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa82 View Post
I just had my surgery consult with my doctor and it didn't go very well. I'm scheduled for a TVH Tuesday, August 4th (in 3 days!). My doctor told me my surgery is going to be very difficult.

A couple of years ago I had CIN3 and had a large part of my cervix removed. They removed too much and I've been having complications ever since. Lots of pain and scar tissue causing intimacy and menstrual issues. My doctors concern is if the cancer cells come back it would have no where to spread but "around" because there is hardly anything left of my cervix. The reason for the hysterectomy was to remove the cervix and decrease my risk of cancer.

At my pre-op appointment my doctor told me he doesn't think he'll be able to do a vaginal hysterectomy after all because there's not enough cervix to "clamp on to" ((Cringe)). He's also concerned my bladder is too close and could easily be perforated during surgery. which he did tell me could easily be fixed but I'll need a catheter for two weeks for stitches to heal.

I'm not a candidate for laparoscopic surgery because of the short cervix. ...and if he goes through the abdomen he says he can't remove my cervix (something about a ring, my short cervix and cutting too much vaginal tissue....I was trying not to pass out or throw up at this point).

He/we decided he will try to do the surgery vaginally and if he's unable he will switch to an abdominal hysterectomy (leaving the cervix).

The whole point of having the surgery was to remove my cervix and decrease my risk of cancer so this is really bumming me out knowing there is a chance he won't be able to remove it.

Also it's kinda scary not knowing what I'll wake up to. Will I be recovering from a vaginal hysterectomy or an abdominal...will I still have a cervix or not? Ugh! I'm feeling so frustrated and discouraged.
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I would put some questions down on a piece of paper for the doctor and call him first thing Monday morning. I would tell him all of your concerns and that you want the cervix out.

I'm having my surgery on the 5th and I am also nervous to what I will wake up to. Not knowing is very difficult because we all want to know what they will be doing.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 08-02-2015, 08:49 AM

good luck to you on the 4th.......I am going in on the 5th....and I have no idea what I am going to wake up to either........they're not sure,"until they get in there"....I have my bladder and my uterus all entwined in some eroded mesh in there.....they may have to do two separate procedures to get it all done......after all this worrying......once I get to the hospital at 5:00AM,i am going to stop and let the docs(3 of them) worry about it.......hope all goes well for you in your surgery and your recovery.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2015, 02:36 PM

Hi lisa82 -

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. All of your emotions, feelings and freakouts are completely normal. And you definitely have a difficult situation, so even more freakout is warranted !

If you wish, you can get other opinions to see if another doctor can handle your condition. All doctors are different, and have different skills. Is your doctor a gyn onc? These doctors can have more skills than regular gyn surgeons. Given that your hysterectomy is for cancer concerns (or potential cancer concerns), maybe seeing a gyn onc may help your scenario. Here are 5 Reasons to Seek a Second Opinion.

You need to make the right decision for you. We will be here to support you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register