Any other sisters go CRAZY with pre-op prep @ home? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other sisters go CRAZY with pre-op prep @ home? Any other sisters go CRAZY with pre-op prep @ home?

Unread 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Any other sisters go CRAZY with pre-op prep @ home?

Hello (future) sisters! I have to smile (despite all the pain- literal & the pain in the "behind") about my getting things settled ahead of time for recovery. First off- we have lived in our current (rented) home for almost TWO YEARS. I find it funny as I look at what I have gotten accomplished so far this week. I have COMPLETELY overhauled the living room & organized all my 6yo's toys that were in it. I have plans to finish HANGING CURTAINS that I have been "going to put up" for months- after all, dont want to be sitting on the couch or in bed looking @ the ugly mini blinds, right? Lol. In the living room overhaul I "suddenly" decided that the table my tv was on was too big for the room. So, of course I swapped it out for a smaller one I had @ my mom's house. I have a new (power reclining) sofa coming next week-1 wk prior to surgery (this is thanks to a great tax credit- thank you IRS). I have a friend coming over to hang a shelf that has peg hooks on it near the door for coats- apparently having a hyster means we shouldnt just be throwing our coats on top of (newly relocated) dd's dollhouse anymore. I washed our decorative shower curtain- which hasnt been washed since who knows when. I started stocking up on some extra groceries- well, my 6yo has a new found passion for the yogurt I like.
I just thought it was funny some of these things getting done are things that I shouldve done a long time ago. I hadnt done them bc I always feel so awful, tired & hurt. I guess now that im feeling like an end to all that is in sight I have gotten my behind moving! Yes, I am hurting MUCH more bc of all I am doing, & if my doc knew he'd probably want to scream. BUT, I know by the time I head off to the castle my home will be very comfortable & likely the most "homey" it has felt ever. My poor cats have been so stressed out with all the commotion- I think 1 was afraid we were moving again .
I would love to hear crazy "preparation" stories anyone has. Im sure I will have more as well since my date @ the castle isnt til May 9th.
Best wishes to all my sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Re: Any other sisters go CRAZY with pre-op prep @ home?

My pre-surgery prep list has many things that I've been meaning to do on it, just like stuff you have mentioned. I figure this is a good motivation to get it done!
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:34 AM

I have 3 kids DS18, DS 13, DD 9 plus DH so my prep list is driving them CRAZY lol. I am straightening throwing scrubbing and screaming anytime someone leaves something out. Haha I have shopped for them for drinks and snacks I swear I spent a small fortune and the 2 boys couldn't find anything to eat last night gggggrrrrr.
I hope you get everything done so that you can sit in your cool chair and heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Your all doing the right thing. I did crazy pre op prepping too. I am 3 weeks post op and I can definitely tell you it was all worth it and I wish I had done more. When you first come home from the hospital you won't be able to do anything, so the more house prepping the better. After a week you will start getting annoyed with things that you want to do and can't. After 3 weeks you start going stir crazy sitting around looking at stuff you really really want to do but are not allowed to do. Trust me, keep prepping! It will make recovery a much happier time for you. I can only imagine how it will be at 5 weeks. I haven't gotten to the boredom stage yet, but I know it is coming and I am so glad I accomplished that list of things I had been meaning to do for years! Keeping busy now will also keep your mind occupied, because if your not busy pre op you'll start dwelling on worst case scenario surgery things!!
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM

One of the great benefits of this surgery is how amazingly clean we get our houses. I spring cleaned like no tomorrow! My surgery was in October, so my house was immaculate for all of my Christmas things. It was great. And, of course, it's a great coping mechanism to deal with pre op jitters.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM

G2jg- How are you doing on YOUR long overdue tasks? Nothing like a planned hyster to give us girls a swift kick in the keister, huh?
KrisB- I totally agree abt the small fortune on groceries, but any I try to "stockpile" my 6yo takes. Got myself some "juices"-Nantucket Nectar drinks when they were on sale- had to hide them in my CLOSET so DD doesnt drink them! Just not right that we should have to keep things hidden. I cant even imagine how fast things must fly out in YOUR house- at least here its just the 2 of us . And, yes, DD feels the same way- VERY PRESSURED to keep what Ive already picked up clean. I am REALLY looking forward to my sofa coming- we had been using my late g'ma's sofa that is over 25yrs old. Needless to say its seen better days.
Hi Cathb- Thank you sooo much for taking the time to post to this during your recovery! <3. Im sorry to hear you are about to go stir crazy. Do you live someplace that its easy & nice to go out to walk even if just a bit? Yes, my pre-op jitters have started a bit- even dispite being busy. My poor friends are probably SO SICK of hearing me say "well, after my surgery...". Thank Heaven for you all here!!! I look forward to "playing" on the whole site (vs mobile) & figuring out how to do all the cool little icon thingys . It will be the 1st time in over 2 yrs that ive had real web access in my home- Im SO EXCITED (again, thank you IRS credit). Reading your post ive thought of more "decorating" type stuff I want to get done now too. Ugh. Prob better just get cleaning done 1st & then see what is left for time & ENERGY.
Sharona- it IS an amazing part of this process isnt it- the "desire"/need to clean. I know I havent cleaned this hard since before we moved in! Now if only we can all find a way to keep it like we want it for good it would be awesome. How are you doing? U said ur surgery was in Oct? Its great to hear your hone was so nice for your Christmas things .
Ok, long enuf post for now. "See" you ladies in a few days to see how you all are feeling and/or what crazy things u have come up with to do! Big Hugs to you all!
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM

I just passed my six month hysterversary and I feel fantastic!! This surgery was life changing. I've never felt better.
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM

It's funny cause I thought I was the only one doing this. We bought a new couch and recliner, changed the blinds and the curtains. Completely redid boys rooms.My husband surprised me with a new tv for for the bedroom. This is my last weekend off from work before the big day so I will be cleaning out the closets and taking the summer clothes out so I won't have to worry about it later. I also bought new bedding. Too much?
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM

ace i wish i had some pre-op prep. My surgery date is on may 8th and i have definitely been thinking about all i have to do before i go have it done, but i don't seem to have the energy and my back hurts everyday and gets worse when i do things, but today i am definitely going to get busy on some cleaning and laundry and maybe some outside painting on the house we'll see, lol. I think my mind is consumed with this surgery, that it makes me get "NOTHING" done, lol. I am relieved to be having it done though, just knowing this is all going to get better, hopefully. Anyhooo im rambling now, I better go and get busy. Later
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykn31 View Post
ace i wish i had some pre-op prep. My surgery date is on may 8th and i have definitely been thinking about all i have to do before i go have it done, but i don't seem to have the energy and my back hurts everyday and gets worse when i do things, but today i am definitely going to get busy on some cleaning and laundry and maybe some outside painting on the house we'll see, lol. I think my mind is consumed with this surgery, that it makes me get "NOTHING" done, lol. I am relieved to be having it done though, just knowing this is all going to get better, hopefully. Anyhooo im rambling now, I better go and get busy. Later
Make your self a nice long list. D the most important things first and cross them off. that way if you run out of energy and time you will still have the most important tasks completed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register