Radiation for Breast Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation for Breast Cancer Radiation for Breast Cancer

Unread 05-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Radiation for Breast Cancer

Hi,

This is my 1st post on Cancer Concerns. It has been a tough 6 mths for me. On 12/13/01 I had a lumpectomy for Breast Cancer. They said it was small and they got it all. Put me on Tamoxifen. My family history is the pits. There were 6 in my family. Dad died of lung and prostate ca, Mom died of lung and breast ca, one sister died of breast ca, 2nd sister had double mastectomy for it and brother has prostate ca. My odds of having it return are astronomical. My oncologist originally said no radiation, but changed her mind last week. Saw radiation oncologist today and he convinced me I must have it. He said there are cancer cells still in my breast. Anyway, fear has now turned to sadness, although now my prognosis is better. The radiation should cut my odds down to about 10% recurrence.

I have avoided posting here because I think I am going through denial all over again. At least I no longer have a uterus to get cancer there from the Tamoxifen. Fortunately my uterine tumors were negative for cancer.

Any support, prayers will be so welcome. I guess I am afraid of this whole process although I know the side effects are not too bad with Breast Cancer. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 12:32 PM
Sharon

I just had to post and say WOW what a year! I cannot beleive it. I think it is a good thing that you are having the radiation treatment.

Keep us posted on how it goes. We are here for you!

Unread 05-31-2002, 05:01 AM
Very Good to Get Radiation

This is the extra insurance, the final blow to any sneaky little cancer cell that may have hidden out during surgery. Is it going to be sorry when that radiation hits!

With all the cancer in your family, have you considered or had a BRCA gene testing? This can be valuable for you and other family members. The oncologists can discuss it with you and you can decide.

OK--time to make any stray cells glow and then go.
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:45 PM

Thanks Cathlaur and Margaret. I appreciate your replies. Margaret, I have not had the BRCA testing done but will ask my Oncologist about it.

I start my radiation on Tuesday. It will be for 6 1/2 weeks every day Monday-Friday. They are going to give me about 4 days off when I have my surgery on the 25th. I am concerned about being weak from surgery and then add the radiation too. Are there any foods or supplements that might help to keep my blood up? I am on iron right now as I lost a lot of blood during my hyst and still haven't brought up my hematacrit to normal. I know the radiation affects the white blood count. I sure am nervous about all this but I understand that once I start it will not be so bad. I don't like the side effects that the doctor told me about, but I like the thoughts of more cancer even less.

Thank you for your help.

Sharon
Unread 06-03-2002, 04:44 AM
Radiation

Sharon
The radiation for lumpectomy after breast cancer isn't that bad. I know that radiation in other parts of the body can make you very sick, but (at least for me) my breast just got a little sore and I was a little tired. Of course I wasn't just recovering from a hyst, so you may be a little more tired!
I did not have tamoxafin, but had radiation and chemo together - 6 weeks of radiation and 6 months of chemo. So during the 6 weeks of rad I had 3 chemo treatments. That was the double whammy for me. I got sick as a dog from the chemo so they had to give me all sorts of anti nausea stuff too.
But I continued to work full time and go to school (was taking courses part time on the weekend to finish my college degree). I had my radiation early in the morning and then went straight to work, and was fine.
I have thought about the BRCA gene test, since my (younger) sister died of breast cancer 3 years ago, and my dad died of esophageal and liver cancer (he had both at the same time - not sure which one he actually died from) 2 years ago. And some grandparents, aunts and uncles died from cancer too. don't know how "far out" in your relatives it matters. But I just don't know if I want to know!
I would love a PM or email if you find out anything interesting on the BRCA testing. I hear it is expensive, and not sure if insurance pays for it (or if I want them to even know I had it). But I would like to know for my daughter and sons sake, I guess.
Good luck
Gail
Unread 06-03-2002, 08:25 PM

Hi Gail,

Thank you so much for the info on the radiation. I am so sorry you had to go through the radiation and chemo at the same time. My sister who died from breast cancer had all sorts of chemo from the time she was Dx' ed in 1995 until she died in Sept 2001. They put a port in her chest and just kept pumping. My other sister opted for mastectomies. You have helped to reassure me that it will not be so bad. I am mostly concerned about having it during my next surgery.

I notice that you had a TVT repair. That may be part of my surgery. How did you feel from that? Did it help and did you take very long to heal? Thanks again.

Sharon
Unread 06-04-2002, 04:25 AM
TVT

Hi Sharon
Since I had the VH, bowel and TVT bladder repair all at once it is hard to say which surgery caused which pain, etc! We had planned for Dr to take ovaries too - but during surgery Dr discovered that ovaries were encased in adhesions and she would have had to open me up and didn't want to do that after all the other surgery - so I still have them although they haven't worked in 9 years since the chemo.

But the Drs said that the TVT and bowel surgery would have been outpatient surgery and easy recovery if done on their own. I really feel that the pain wasn't too bad from them. Sitting for very long hurt, but that was from all 3! I came home with a catheter, but removed it the next day and was able to "go" .

I am WAY better than I was with the bladder leakage, but still do have a very slight leakage. I don't really even notice when it happens, just that I am always "slightly damp". I continued to leak for quite a while after the surgery, and the Dr. said it sometimes takes 6 months or more to really stop. See urologist Thurs for another post op checkup and will see what he says.

My "frequency" problems are not any better - I had hoped that would change - but the Dr had told me before the surgery that it probably wouldn't.

Hopefully you are going to be able to stay home from work after the surgery for awhile, and get some rest. I think that will help if you can rest, especially the first week radiation.

I had a port too - it sure made the chemo easier - they just plugged me in! My veins are hard to find and the dr suggested that. Every time I go in for surgery they have trouble finding a vein for the IV - wish I still had the port in that respect (but it was hard and lumpy and hurt - so glad to be rid of it). They kept it in for over a year "just in case", but when they were sure I was "well', we took it out.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Gail
Unread 06-05-2002, 04:24 PM

HELLO SHARON,

PRAYERS AND THE BEST TO YOU.

MY BOSS HAD BREAST CANCER ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO.
SHE HAD RADIATION AND WAS TAKING TOMOXIEFN TOO.
HER MOTHER DIED OF THROAT CANCER AND HER DAD HAD SOME FORM OF IT TOO.
THIS LADY IS 76 YEARS OLD AND DOING GREAT.
SO DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP JUST YET MY DEAR.
THINGS WILL BE FINE,
Unread 06-05-2002, 07:44 PM

Hi Gail & Puppy2,

Thank you so much for your encouraging posts. I sure appreciate Hystersisters. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. I just had my 2nd Tx today. The radiation part of it goes fast. Have a 45 min drive to and from the hospital. Yesterday I ended up with 10 xrays and 2 flouroscopies cause they couldn't line me up with the original markings. I was there for 2 hours again, but today was only 15 min. I have already started getting a little red from the radiation. I sure hope it doesn't get real bad. I am really thankful that they realized I needed further Tx in addition to the lumpectomy. I will beat this. I made it through the lumpectomy and the 4 1/2 hr hyster, so I will get rid of those nasty cells and get through the next operation too. The support of all of you here means so very much to me. Thank you all.

Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register