Which hyst procedure has less problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which hyst procedure has less problems? Which hyst procedure has less problems?

Unread 01-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Which hyst procedure has less problems?

I am just about ready to schedule that hyst to remove this fibroid that is driving me nuts. It is large at 11x9cm... however, I've had 4 obgyns give me 4 different methods of a hyst. I am hoping I can get advice from you who have had these methods and the recovery times. I don't know which way to go. My OBGYN and the Oncologist both recommended a LAVH and removal of everything. 2nd opinion OBGYN said a TAH remove all, 3rd opinion said the davinci robotics procedure with morcelation (which sounds gross) and keep my cervix, and the 4th says the supracervical Lap hyst....

Also, is there really an advantage to keeping my cervix... I've heard yes and no from the doctors.. and I've heard remove the ovary (ovarian cancer runs in my family and I have already had one removed) and I've heard it's okay to keep the ovary.

It's really hard to make a decision on a procedure.... what is your advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 02:06 PM

It might help to ask each doctor what other types of hysterectomies they perform and how many of each type. Some doctors recommend the method they are most comfortable with. That doesn't make it wrong but it may be causing you some confusion in deciding.
DaVinci requires special training a surgeon and surgical team as well as the robot
Laproscopic either abdominal or vaginal assist also requires special training
Abdominal surgery has been performed the longest and most wide spread training wise.
Not all women are candidates for vaginal hysterectomies.
Certain conditions make a laproscopic approach more difficult.
From what I have read, complication rates are fairly equal with a skilled surgeon. Removal of the cervix increases complication due to the proximity of the cervix and bladder. Total vaginal can lead to some residual bleeding that can't be seen from the outer side of vaginal vault. DaVinci put your body at awkward angles and I have read some women end up with shoulder pain.
Nothing is perfect or without risks. Morcelation reduces tissue trauma by reducing the size of pieces being removed.

Good luck with your decision
Unread 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM

thanks for the reponse. I have researched and read about these procedures in and out... and have spoke with each Dr. all of whom say their way is "the" way and I know they are reputable Drs in that procedure. I am mostly looking for personal experiences. I am a bit concerned too that 2 OBGYNs would recommend a LAVH when everything I've read says that shouldn't be done if you have a large growth. My fibroid is 11x9cm... the doctor who recommended TAH says it can't be done vaginally and it will more than likely result in an incision during surgery. I am very confused... how can people of the same profession, with the same diagnosis have such different opinons on procedures... meanwhile... I just want to be out of pain. I figure if I can't get a straight answer from them, maybe I can from women who have been there. Anyway... just irritated, tired, in pain, and just want the Drs. to agree on something. **sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM

The higher the skill and experience of the surgeon the larger the fibroid they are willing to attempt to remove vaginal or laparoscopically. There is alway a chance they will have to revert to an open procedure. I was suppose to have a LSH then a LAH ended up with a LAVH. I haven't gone for my post-op yet so I do not know why the surgeon changed from morcellation to removing the uterus intact through vagina.
At the moment there is no consensus in the field, technology has introduced new methods and the jury is still out. However, there is a trend to promote LAVH as surgery of choice from the articles I have read. As in many professions the practitioner hold the value instilled during his education.
In comparing recovery of women that had surgery the same time as me, dispite approach recovery times and complications vary. Have you read the post-op recovery update forums. They may help you decide

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register