Flavouring water......a good idea?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Flavouring water......a good idea?? Flavouring water......a good idea??

Unread 01-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Flavouring water......a good idea??

I see from everywhere I have read how important it is to drink lots of water. Because of some medication I am currently taking, I already have issues with a dry mouth. So, I use 1/3 to 1/2 of a package of Crystal Light in my bottled water, to help it go down a little easier. Is this a good idea post-op?? It has a sugar replacement, so I am wondering -- would it cause gas post-op??

Oh, and by the way, I almost feel like I hit the jackpot today! I was out shopping, thinking to get some supplies early, to help spread any costs over several paychecks, and I found some Gas-X--Meltables!! Instead of a tablet to chew (Is it like Rolaids? Chalky??) it is just a Thin Strip!! It just melts on your tongue. I bought the cinnamon flavour, as it claims to be Mouth Freshening too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Hi craftingaddict!

I adding flavoring to water helps you to consume more of it, I can't see the harm.

I didn't drink any more liquids during my recovery than I normally do at any other time, and fared just fine. I wouldn't worry about this if I were you.

Best of luck as you prepare for your visit to the Castle!
Unread 01-27-2009, 05:47 PM

I really do not think that the Crystal Light would hurt. I really hope not, I use it also. The only thing that I can think of right now with it is that the Iced Tea and a couple of other ones have caffine in them. I know that it is not alot. But I would check with your dr to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 07:33 PM

I really enjoyed celestial seasoning peach iced tea (no caffeine) and I did not add any sugar. Also celestial seasonings peppermint tea (iced as well) helped me with gas and uneasy stomach issues. Good Luck
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Aspartame can cause gas, so take advantage of those Gas-X strips! I'm with azeala, I love peppermint tea.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Flavor or not, tea, soda, water - even Weight Watchers has changed their "water" requirements to just "liquids" on their new Momentum Plan. Being hydrated helps pump your veins up and makes it easier for the IV team find veins, but it isn't necessary to drink more if you already keep yourself hydrated. A good IV team can find veins even when you're not well hydrated! (Remember, your body also absorbs water from the foods you eat, too, so eating a healthy diet keeps you hydrated without increasing your liquids intake!)

I don't think tea - caffeine or aspertane - is a problem either, as it was included on my meal tray for the days I was in the castle prior to my surgery.

I agree with Bizet Woman - if the Crystal Light helps you consume more water, then the benefits are worth it.
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:01 AM

As long as there's no caffeine or bubbles, I would think it's fine.

Oh, and Bonnie, I'm a Weight Watcher too!

Kara
Unread 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM

Artificial sweeteners tend to make my thirsty, for some strange reason. I would opt for lemon or lime slices in my water instead. DH is diabetic so he lives on Crystal Light. It does not seem to give him gas.
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM

Hi

Here is my opinion for what it is worth based on my experience.

After the being under general anesthetic and morphine for pain, I was thirstier than I had ever been before in my entire life. After the first few hours I was sucking back the cold water (from small bottles with sports top for ease) and I am NOT a water drinker.

I really believe that your body needs the purity of the water after all the stuff they pump into you during and post op. When you have the catheter out and are able to walk and use the toilet and are getting around a bit then maybe consider the Crystal Light (by the way, I love Crystal Light too). I found pure water desirable and comforting.

Hope that helps.

All the Best as your departure to the castle approaches.
Sheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register