Scheduled TAH Am I getting too old for this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I getting too old for this? Am I getting too old for this?

Unread 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Am I getting too old for this?

Just joined last week - and my surgery date 8-17 is getting a little too close for comfort!! I have spent many hours reading your stories and they are a lot of help in sorting out emotions and in the "getting ready" department. My concern mostly is my age (66). I am newly retired and now find I have all kinds of time to have this surgery that I put off for so long (large fibroids that are not going to shrink any more- not particularly painful but causing bladder problems). Will I have more problems than younger women? I am in pretty good health otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Re: Am I getting too old for this?

Hi Mint!
Mine is the 17th too!
I'm no doctor, but I will say that I think you have a couple of things working big time for you....that you are in pretty good health and that you will have time to heal and recover without pushing yourself overly hard. I think that will help you go a long way. Hopefully the bladder problems will go away, and that will be helpful to you also!
You sound like a positive woman and I look forward to hearing your tale from The Other Side. : )
Nicki
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:18 PM

ps...congratulations on retirement! I hope that after you are fully recovered that you do (continue to do..) everything that makes your soul HAPPY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2009, 11:34 PM

You are never too old to start feeling better!

I have to agree that one of the big things in recovering from abdominal surgery is taking your time to heal and not pushing yourself. I say relax and let yourself be treated like a queen.
Unread 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Hi Mint,
You are not alone here. I had my surgery just after my 60th birthday----not that I feel anything like that old. I had a TVH and rectocele repair ----I think I am lucky because I am already in menopause so not freaked out over going into it suddenly--mind you, I did keep my ovaries but they are pretty much shriveled up anyway, I have all the time in the world to recover as I am retired---no stress about when to return or if I will be able to sit all day (I wouldn't be able to that's for sure), and no great attachment so my uterus anymore so the decision to go ahead with the surgery was easy for me.
I am glad I had my surgery in the summer because I have been able to walk since the early days( I live in Canada and six months of winter does not make walking much fun!)--some days further than others but I keep trekking along. I think being patient in getting better has been my best friend . I have been very careful to follow the instructions I got re lifting, housework etc. And on the days I feel extra tired I just let myself take it extra easy. At my 6 week appointment this week I got the OK to start playing tennis, swim and to weight train again. Even so , I am not rushing into it but may start stretching again and will keep on walking of course.
So best of luck to you. THhe waiting for surgery is the hardest part. You'll soon be on the road to a more comfortable life
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:43 PM

My aunt had to have this surgery last year and she's 87. She did fantastic. She sent me a little note before my surgery and said it hadn't been bad at all and that she'd only needed to take one pain pill when she got home. She was a lot tougher than I am. I used pain pills daily for the first week
Unread 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM

I'm 63 and will be 3 weeks post-op on Monday. I breezed through my surgery and already feel life is pretty much back to normal. I'm walking a couple of miles every day, looking after light housework, cooking meals, etc. (while obeying all the rules about not lifting and getting lots of rest.) I don't need pain medication at all, probably because I'm able to take it easy when I need to.

I actually think it's EASIER for us older gals. We tend to have quieter lives, fewer responsibilities and lots of time to look after ourselves, eat healthy and keep fit. I honestly don't know how younger women are able to have major surgery and then come home in a couple of days to all the pressures of small children, jobs and busy households. They leave me awestruck...they really do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register