surgery in 5 days HELP!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in 5 days HELP!!! surgery in 5 days HELP!!!

Unread 05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
surgery in 5 days HELP!!!

Hi,

Scheduled for a full abdominal hysterectomy and bladder lift surgery on May 18th. I have uterine cancer and hope this takes complete care of it.
Need information of what I should definitely take to the hospital. Also, any suggestions for clear liquid diet items for the day before surgery. Also, anything in particular that you can think of for me to do to prep my home for post-surgery.
I am 53 years old. Will appreciate any information supplied.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Re: surgery in 5 days HELP!!!

Hi paws! The things I was most thankful for in the hospital were my night mask and my earbuds for the tv I rented. There were some LOUD snoring women in my room and I ended up leaving my tv on all night, with my earbuds in and my nightmask on, to block out the snoring! I didn't sleep great so I'd just pull up my mask when I wanted to watch tv.

I just took sandals instead of slippers and it worked fine. You'll need toiletries of course. I took lipbalm and some face cream which I was thankful for. I took pads because they have the monster pads at the hospital. I gladly used the mesh disposable underwear that they had at the hospital.

I was SO glad for the tv because I didn't even have enough attention span to read the magazine I took. That said, I was only there one night, so I would have got into it if I had been there any longer.

I have a blackberry and was very happy to be able to text a couple of friends to give them updates without having to have a phone conversation, but everyone is different on that front.

For liquid the day before....I drank lots of water and apple juice, and also had lots of vegetable broth and peppermint tea.

For when you get home I would just suggest having as many things in place that will help you stay glued to the couch or wherever you choose to set yourself up. I have books and movies galore because I'm worried I'll start venturing out to the garden too soon!

Wishing you the very best. Try to be as kind to yourself as you can. Take care of the things that will bug you but not to the point where it stresses you out...it's important to get your mind as much at peace as possible before your procedure.

Big hugs and please keep us posted on your progress!
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Hello, I think fire was right on. Def bring lip balm and face lotion. You prob won't feel up to reading or doing crosswords, but i brought my robe and am thankful for that. Even if you cant slip it on both arms at all times, it works well for a blanket and the smell of home is comforting! Plus its nice for the walks up and down the hall.
Leave all jewlery at home, cant wear it in surgery and wont miss it laying in the bed.

Get your bedroom as organized as possible, a nice size uncluttered side table and in reach good books, remote and laptop. Give the bathroom a good cleaning because nobody can do it as good as you can and it will be a few weeks before you will be able to touch it!

Take care of yourself only during this time.
Best wishes!
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:50 PM

THAT DID NOT SOUND RIGHT, SORRY! I mean, only take care of yourself during this time, dont worry about everyone else right now
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:52 PM

I had a TAH 4/14/10 due to perisitent problems with endometriosis. I took my hairdryer, make-up, soap, shampoo, laptop, cell phone & comfy clothes from home to the hospital with me. Truthfully, most of those things did not even cross my mind while at the hospital. I felt much worse after surgery than I expected. I had an unexpected blood loss during surgery which made me feel pretty weak. I wear contacts, but didn't even feel like putting them in until 3rd day post-op. I wore a hospital gown the entire hospital stay until discharge. I didn't end up using anything I brought from home. I am now 4 weeks post-op & in the last few days I am beginning to feel more like myself. I remember reading the information about how I would feel post-op from my Dr.'s office & thinking that I was sure I would feel much better than what the paper said I would. I hope that this info does not freak you out, but I wish I had been more aware before I had surgery at how slow going recovery would be. I hope this info helps you. I did have a very extensive surgery. Please understand that every surgery & every person is different. Your experience may not be similar to mine at all. I wish you the best & a speedy recovery!
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Good Luck to you Paws! I know you will do great. The other ladies really covered what to bring to the hospital. I ended up not using anything I brought - I left the next morning so I kept the hospital gown on and used one of theirs for a robe and it worked fine. But, for abdominal you will be there longer. I did bring a travel pillow - the half donut shaped one with the beans. My hubby used it to lay back and visit with me and after he left I used it to cradle my neck and it helped me to sleep.

For the clear liquids I got a bunch of those prepackaged jellos, low sodium chicken boullion and ginger ale.

Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register