scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:48 PM
scared

I'm 34 years old. I'm having a TAH on 3/22/04. Several things are weighing on my mind. Any ideas on non-narcotic pain control after surgery? I have had problems with pain medicines in the past and do not wish to go there again. Also, what about a tummy tuck? Is this something my ob/gyn can do or do I need to consult a plastic surgeon? I have four children ages 11,9,5,2 how much am I going to be able to do after surgery? I don't really have alot of emotional or physical support to rely on, not willingly anyway!! Has anyone had this done under a spinal? As you can tell I'm sort of hitting the panic button!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2004, 01:36 AM
scared

Hi I have two kids 8.5 and 10 and it was tough managing . I had my surgery on a Friday and by saturday the next week my parents returned the kids .

I thought ti would be ok but it was hard . Ihad to managed the houseowrk and such . SO I resorted to short cuts and by the time Im fit the cupboard tops wil be covered with dust bunnies.

I would recommend freezin meals if that is an option .I got household chores donein stages . The no lifting rule was hard to follow as Im alone with the kids most of the day . DH comes home too late into t he night .

I had problems for eg coping with pethidine event hough it was effective in pain killing ... There are suppositories available for pain control and you might want to discuss them witht he staff . If at all ossible request for a visit from the anaesthetist . mei
Unread 03-05-2004, 03:52 AM
I'm going tohave an epidural

spinal on march 9th so I'llpost then to let youknow how it goes.My doctor says she prefers a spinal/epidural.less complications,nausea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2004, 08:47 AM
scared

My A-man and I argued before the surgery and I won - I have bad reactions to morphine and codeine (like respiratory arrest and bottomed out blood pressure) He told me that that is a normal reaction, I told him to have a crash cart ready - I crashed during my second c-section and after a D&C from a miscarriage. In the end, I only had Demerol with phenergan - three shots in the two days I was in the castle and percocet at home for two more days. Then only Aleeve. It seems that the synthetics don't have the same effect on me.

There are other options - be sure to discuss with your dr and with the surgical consultant when they schedule you so that you can be sure to get an A-man who is human and will consider your concerns. Be comfortable with the decisions - its your body and your life. You are your own best advocate. Ask lots of questions and be informed. Then, once the decisions are made, relax and let them take care of you!!

Hugs and don't be afraid - the waiting is the hardest.

Kit
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:56 AM
scared

volterol/diclofenac is a great anti-inflammatory drug, available in oral or suppository form. Suppository works for 18 hours and is really good. There are lots of options, your Doctor will be able to advise you hopefully.
Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register